Wigan vs Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: Wigan vs Leeds

Post by NICKYKISS »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:30 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:17 am Powell is in the Sky team of the week.

And there’s me thinking every team has 2 hookers better than him. Shame on the 22 hookers elsewhere (plus Brad O’Neill for not making our side).

He shouldn’t be and isn’t free from criticism. I thought he had a really poor first half on Friday but bounced back in fine style. He had a really good game at HKR. It’s been a positive start to the season by him.

The silence from the usual suspects across the forums was deafening after week one but that poor first half woke people up and even a fantastic second half showing hasn’t been able to save him.
I saw lots of positive comments around his game against Hull KR i think this fake narrative that he never gets complemented is again fictitious the truth is in the past these games are so few and far between thats the real reason you dont see that much of it when he plays well he is given credit.

I totally understand why people are so desperate for Sam to be accepted because he is a really thoroughly nice bloke and by all accounts a dedicated and thorough professional. Those qualities are really important and i think we've had much more talented players in the past who we wished were as professional.

Powell will continue to do ok as long as the team around him especially the forwards are doing well so im hoping the team around him continue to push on because it will mean his deficiencies will not be as much of a problem.

I think what people need to remember - its not that fans want to see Sam fail its that they want to see Wigan succeed and we should always be looking at ways in which we can improve and at the moment in the spine he is the weakest player but is also the player who touches the ball the most
Silence is what I saw/heard from the people who constantly put the boot in to him when the opportunity arises.

We should always look to improve, I absolutely agree. We all want the best for the club but some of the criticism gets is pretty pathetic. I’d be more than happy to see him moved on ‘if’ there is a better option available. The problem we have is where do you find that? I’d be extremely worried if the club ever listened to the people who throw names around like Brad Dwyer. I even saw somebody say Pellisier is better than him. I still chuckle sat here now and when you’re dealing with suggestions like that, then you really know it’s a scapegoat mentality that is building. It also just highlights how people see a lad who can scamper from dummy half (usually up their own backsides) and go ‘he’s a good un’ without factoring in the numerous weaknesses to their games.

Long term I have high hopes for Brad O’Neill and would hope we’ll see more of him this season than we did last. In the meantime if Powell keeps his levels of this first two weeks up, then we’re absolutely fine.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:25 am We can add Powell to the list of death and taxes.

Anyway, I have come to terms that he is untouchable as far as his fans and the club are concerned. Given zero creativity from 9, I would like to see Shorrocks given a lot of opportunities, as he looks really skilful to me. I am not saying he will turn into O’Loughlin overnight, but there is definitely something about him. If we can play French, Field, Cust and Shorrocks, and continue with the offload game, then we can carry a plodder at 9.
No idea why you think Shorrocks is skillfull. He can’t pass or read what is in front of him, all he can do is tackle. How can you call Powell at every opportunity you get while thinking Shorrocks is anything better is beyond me. He offers much less then Powell and that is the reason he hasn’t played yet this year.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Move Powell to 13 and job sorted imo :D
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I hear what you say about Shorrocks. I like his style and think he has got good hands. Time will tell, but I like the look of what I have seen of him so far. Not enough evidence either way yet for me, but I have high hopes.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:57 pm Move Powell to 13 and job sorted imo :D
Why is that?

I disagree completely.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:10 am I have watched and played this game all my life. I have an opinion on the player who touches the ball most in a team I spend a fortune on every year. I am not a qualified coach, but I have seen and played with enough players to have an opinion based on decades of “experience”. It is patronising and short sighted of those who turn on their fellow supporters - either because they are insiders or because they love him so much they will scour the internet for any stat to justify his continued place in the side - to suggest that his critics are the problem. It is not just sad but disturbing that people consider it right to lecture me and my fellow critics. While not “in the know”, our money pays his wages the same as anyone else’s.

So, Morley loves him. Well done Morley. You have won the war - he will play every game he is fit to play, regardless of what he does, and he will get his long term contract. Nothing that we see, say or do will make a difference. Which is galling, especially when we watch entertaining hookers every week play opposite us> Tbh, I would have more time for his long term love in crew if they simply posted - “ha, you loser posters! He’s here every week for the next 10 years, a great club man and member of the leadership group - get used to it! Oh, and you are inferior “supporters” to me!”
We're all entitled to our opinion about any player. The fact that two Wigan supporters have different opinions is normal and healthy. Your attempt at ridicule could offend me, but I've had worse (better?) and survived.

One bit you ignored was my attempt to make clear that I don't actually rate Powell as a top SL hooker, but defend him against some of the more extreme and/or ridiculous attacks on here.

But I do not take issue with anyone who thinks any player is no good. My objection is to the persistent, repetitive, boring, repeated, persistent, boring and repetitive attacks from some posters.

And the fact that it continues even when the majority of fans are over the moon with our performances - ie there are better things to talk about - makes me sad.

By the way, the number of posts complaining about Sam says more about the posters - "he who shouts loudest isn't always right".
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:38 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:57 pm Move Powell to 13 and job sorted imo :D
Why is that?

I disagree completely.
It will stop me moaning on about him being a mediocre hooker :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:16 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:10 am I have watched and played this game all my life. I have an opinion on the player who touches the ball most in a team I spend a fortune on every year. I am not a qualified coach, but I have seen and played with enough players to have an opinion based on decades of “experience”. It is patronising and short sighted of those who turn on their fellow supporters - either because they are insiders or because they love him so much they will scour the internet for any stat to justify his continued place in the side - to suggest that his critics are the problem. It is not just sad but disturbing that people consider it right to lecture me and my fellow critics. While not “in the know”, our money pays his wages the same as anyone else’s.

So, Morley loves him. Well done Morley. You have won the war - he will play every game he is fit to play, regardless of what he does, and he will get his long term contract. Nothing that we see, say or do will make a difference. Which is galling, especially when we watch entertaining hookers every week play opposite us> Tbh, I would have more time for his long term love in crew if they simply posted - “ha, you loser posters! He’s here every week for the next 10 years, a great club man and member of the leadership group - get used to it! Oh, and you are inferior “supporters” to me!”
We're all entitled to our opinion about any player. The fact that two Wigan supporters have different opinions is normal and healthy. Your attempt at ridicule could offend me, but I've had worse (better?) and survived.

One bit you ignored was my attempt to make clear that I don't actually rate Powell as a top SL hooker, but defend him against some of the more extreme and/or ridiculous attacks on here.

But I do not take issue with anyone who thinks any player is no good. My objection is to the persistent, repetitive, boring, repeated, persistent, boring and repetitive attacks from some posters.

And the fact that it continues even when the majority of fans are over the moon with our performances - ie there are better things to talk about - makes me sad.

By the way, the number of posts complaining about Sam says more about the posters - "he who shouts loudest isn't always right".
so the bit in bold confuses me as it does with everyone who makes this point.

Wigan play every week during the season - most weeks Sam Powell will play - as we dont live in an infinite time loop every game will be a new game. So if (hypothetically) he performed poor every single game, how many games are we allowed to comment on before we arent allowed to comment anymore because that seems to be what people are suggesting. So if a player is slow for example and that slowness becomes evident in every match how many games are we allow to comment on that players speed? 1-2-3 games?

likewise if i say hes had a good game i assume thats unlimited i can say that as many times as i want without anybody saying im "attacking" him.

Does someone need to keep count of each poster allocation of critical comments? does this apply to every player or just Powell
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I think we should change the title of this topic from “Wigan v Leeds” to “Let’s all bash Sam Powell Again & Again”)!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I find it hilarious how people are losing there sh*t over a rugby player.
Everyone has their own opinion on whoever or whatever, it’s their right.
This a fan forum of new and OPINIONS, you don’t like reading other peoples opinions I recommend that you don’t come on the forum