How to follow Toulouse game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: How to follow Toulouse game

Post by Nezza Faz »

Brennox7 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:18 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:55 pm And if Smith is able to come back after making a couple of errors, with his confidence low, and then gets the winner says a lot on his character, bounce-back ability.
He also got involved in a couple of our tries when he had the opportunity, whilst in the 1st half he was tied up in D with Toulouse controlling 80-odd % possession.
Not too bad a return for his first full match, in how long, as Lam never really got behind him.
The reason they had 80% possession is because of the errors Smith made, hense why he was tied down on D
Ah, I see, it was just Smith's errors then that cost us possession. Not the fact the whole team couldn't complete their sets, or the stupid penalties we continued to concede, or the 2 tries that Miski gave up that led to even further possession draining away.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is. Yes miski made two errors but they didn't make Harry Smith play worse did they? He gave the ball over 4 times in 50 mins. You'd be fuming if any player did that never mind a HB who should have the best decision making ,hands and kicking game.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Only seen the highlights via Toulouse on YouTube!

Field looked as exciting as usual and good hands from KPP for Marshy's try!

Without seeing the full game and only looking at the line ups (before looking at the highlights), I didn't expect the FT score to be quite so close, I'm hoping either Toulouse has their best performance so far or we were slightly off pace (slightly anxious about Catalans)!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:59 pm Only seen the highlights via Toulouse on YouTube!

Field looked as exciting as usual and good hands from KPP for Marshy's try!

Without seeing the full game and only looking at the line ups (before looking at the highlights), I didn't expect the FT score to be quite so close, I'm hoping either Toulouse has their best performance so far or we were slightly off pace (slightly anxious about Catalans)!
Don’t be, we will be much better next week. Toulouse played well much better than they have performed to date. Their effort will have taken a lot out of them and they may struggle next week.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Brennox7 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:47 pm Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is. Yes miski made two errors but they didn't make Harry Smith play worse did they? He gave the ball over 4 times in 50 mins. You'd be fuming if any player did that never mind a HB who should have the best decision making ,hands and kicking game.
Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is

If a side is really well drilled and disciplined they'll give less penalties away than a team that is better disciplined. It was no surprise that Catalans win over Wolves was exampled by, probably, the best disciplined performance they've ever put in, which kept them on the front foot for 78 minutes. I can only remember 2 penalties they conceded ! They were missing serial "offenders" like Micky Mac, Dudson, Dylan Napa, and the prop Bousquet, which did them a favour.

No Miski's 2 try errors wouldn't make Powell play worse but they influenced the team's overall play in the 1st half, with the lack of possession. I agree he's not the finished article, but at 20/21 he's still relatively inexperienced and still does some good things - and if I remember okay, it's not the first time he's taken the side to a win, with crucial points ?

I'd say give the lad some patience for this season at least, where he's got Briers and Leuluai to work on his education.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Patience? Understanding?

You're on the wrong site, surely?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:47 pm Patience? Understanding?

You're on the wrong site, surely?
Haha Morley, you have a point there !

People expect perfection and a win at all costs these days - it doesn't normally work like that.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:47 pm Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is. Yes miski made two errors but they didn't make Harry Smith play worse did they? He gave the ball over 4 times in 50 mins. You'd be fuming if any player did that never mind a HB who should have the best decision making ,hands and kicking game.
Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is

If a side is really well drilled and disciplined they'll give less penalties away than a team that is better disciplined. It was no surprise that Catalans win over Wolves was exampled by, probably, the best disciplined performance they've ever put in, which kept them on the front foot for 78 minutes. I can only remember 2 penalties they conceded ! They were missing serial "offenders" like Micky Mac, Dudson, Dylan Napa, and the prop Bousquet, which did them a favour.

No Miski's 2 try errors wouldn't make Powell play worse but they influenced the team's overall play in the 1st half, with the lack of possession. I agree he's not the finished article, but at 20/21 he's still relatively inexperienced and still does some good things - and if I remember okay, it's not the first time he's taken the side to a win, with crucial points ?

I'd say give the lad some patience for this season at least, where he's got Briers and Leuluai to work on his education.
Smith is 22 now.

I think the issue you have is that certain players haven’t played much over the last few years so haven’t developed and kicked on.

Some players take to the first team right away whereas others probably need more development in the reserves or on duel reg.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Still early days for this team. They have had moments in every game where they have let teams back in.
Looked from what I have seen (extended highlights and a full half)that we decided we could score on evey play after the two early tries. Classic take your foot off the gas and then whatever you do goes wrong and whatever they did went well.
Giggot(spelling) is the type of player that if more consistent would be one of the best in the league ha had one if those nights though even then he failed three times to get in the right position to drop a goal that would have probably won them the game. We got away with a kick up the backside. I'm hoping Matty will learn from this and I'm sure he will. Fine with squad rotation but maybe not with so many positional changes and away from home.
Few more games and cutting out unforced errors and piggyback pens will be the deciding factor in bigger games.
Up to now I think Matty and the coaching team have had nothing but a positive start on and off the field.
Felt sorry for Miski not much chance with either kick both was very similar to many that have been penalised this season in that even if both players are going for ball and defender gets touched it's blown up ... Wrongly in my opinion but consistency is needed. Smith made an error that seemed to set the spiral. But we are still though much improved a good metre making prop down .... Havard will hopefully find that for us especially alongside Mago Ellis Singleton Byrne which is miles stronger than last year.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I hardly call the two failed Catches from Miski errors, he got beat in the air not the best but the Toulouse winger had a pretty fair hight advantage from that clip.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.