How to follow Toulouse game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: How to follow Toulouse game

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:08 am I hardly call the two failed Catches from Miski errors, he got beat in the air not the best but the Toulouse winger had a pretty fair hight advantage from that clip.
I wonder if his first error would have been classed as being taken out in the air if the video ref had been present
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:14 am
Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:47 pm Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is. Yes miski made two errors but they didn't make Harry Smith play worse did they? He gave the ball over 4 times in 50 mins. You'd be fuming if any player did that never mind a HB who should have the best decision making ,hands and kicking game.
Penalties are part of the game. They will always happen regardless of how well drilled a side is

If a side is really well drilled and disciplined they'll give less penalties away than a team that is better disciplined. It was no surprise that Catalans win over Wolves was exampled by, probably, the best disciplined performance they've ever put in, which kept them on the front foot for 78 minutes. I can only remember 2 penalties they conceded ! They were missing serial "offenders" like Micky Mac, Dudson, Dylan Napa, and the prop Bousquet, which did them a favour.

No Miski's 2 try errors wouldn't make Powell play worse but they influenced the team's overall play in the 1st half, with the lack of possession. I agree he's not the finished article, but at 20/21 he's still relatively inexperienced and still does some good things - and if I remember okay, it's not the first time he's taken the side to a win, with crucial points ?

I'd say give the lad some patience for this season at least, where he's got Briers and Leuluai to work on his education.
Smith is 22 now.

I think the issue you have is that certain players haven’t played much over the last few years so haven’t developed and kicked on.

Some players take to the first team right away whereas others probably need more development in the reserves or on duel reg.
Thanks - hadn't realised Smith now 22 but agree that the last 2 years has most likely hampered his progress with Covid affecting many things in life, generally; some people more than others.
For instance Lewis Dodd seems to have improved beyond recognition in the same time.
Who knows, perhaps the coaching influences in the 2 camps have had a say in the matter in this period ?
Have to hope for the best now with Leuluai and Briers tutoring him.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I watched the full highlights from the French feed (no commentary just a noisy music soundtrack) and both times it looked to me as if Miski got to the ball first, fell backwards and simply lost the ball in mid-air. His defence was pretty non-existent when Toulouse attacked, although he wasn't alone in that respect. He might well improve under the high ball (think Liam Marshall) but I can't imagine he will be allowed near the first team for a while. Better to learn his trade in the reserves or on dual-registration. Probably the same for Smith who just looks short of confidence rather than talent.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Probably the same for Smith who just looks short of confidence rather than talent
I’d agree with this. I do think there’s a huge amount of talent there but confidence cannot be underestimated.

It’s clear having watched it back that he made some crucial and basic errors and that will have knocked his confidence but it’s about how players recover and in the second half he managed 2 assists and a very well set up and composed drop goal to win the game.

Yes that doesn’t suddenly mean the errors should be forgotten and glossed over but there are signs there that with confidence and support that talent could well be unlocked.

Who knows what went on behind the scenes under Lam in terms of the players confidence but I think it was clear to see that it wasn’t a happy ship and it’s now upto Peet and his team to rebuild that. Which is no enviable task.

4 wins out of 4 is not a bad start at all and yes there was aspects on Saturday which were reminiscent of last season.

We have have a massive game coming up on Saturday but we need to back each and every one of the lads.

🔴⚪️
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Or at least back 16 out of 17 of them 😇
Miski and Smith are in very different positions. I would play Miski in the reserves or even look to send him out on loan (given how exposed he was, it makes me wonder what the thinking behind signing him was, but I guess you can’t win them all), but I would persevere with Smith, as he has shown he has the talent and good halves are few and very far between.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Things that struck me watching the full game:

1. Where are the Hanky fans here? I thought Joe Brotherton looked more like the guy we missed! :D

2. Marshall was generally very good, but looked badly at fault for the second (?) Toulouse try ( the one in the left corner).

3. Cust and Farrell didn't have their best games. Whether that had anything to do with Cust playing on the right to accommodate Smith, who knows?

4. As said upthread, Gigot was excellent. If he could produce that every week...

5. The pack was outshone by the Toulouse subs, but Byrne continues to improve, and Singleton and Ellis were both solid.
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

medlocke wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:24 am
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:08 am I hardly call the two failed Catches from Miski errors, he got beat in the air not the best but the Toulouse winger had a pretty fair hight advantage from that clip.

I wonder if his first error would have been classed as being taken out in the air if the video ref had been present
We were right I line with it and pretty close . Miski mistimed his jump and got out of line with it but imo he was definitely played in the air by the Toulouse player

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Great game for the neutrals.
Wigan had too many sub-par performances after looking very good going 10-0 up.
Miski was badly at fault for two tries, jumping too early in both cases and being badly out of position for the 40-20 that led to another try. We didn't see much of him taking the ball out of our 20 either - its back to the reserves for a few games to rebuild his confidence. Harry Smith had a patchy game, creating well for tries but throwing some bad passes - back to the reserves for him too I think. Shorrocks went pretty well. The interchange of the props didn't go well for us this game. So - a scare and a boot up the backside.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm surprised it's taken Shorrocks so long to be included, was he injured?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I don't think so, but Shorrocks is surely more a 13 than a 9? We have a better dummy-half in O'Neill, hope he gets some game-time soon (probably not next week, though). JS is a useful utility, though, and the charge-down was a bit of a game-changer.