Peet previews Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Catalans

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet looks ahead to the Warriors trip to Catalans on Saturday.

Peet: “It’ll need and require a completely different level of performance, probably a level of performance beyond what we have served up this year.”

Catalans Dragons v Wigan Warriors, Stade Gilbert Brutus, Saturday 12th March.

Matt Peet previewed the Warriors Round 5 fixture against Catalans Dragons in his weekly press conference on Wednesday afternoon.

Following Wigan’s dramatic late win over Toulouse last week, Peet reflected: “I knew it would be a test, but the way the game played out I must admit when we went 10-0 up and we had some more pressure, I could feel that the game was there to be gripped and we just failed to grip it, credit to Toulouse.

“We always knew that they would be a threat around the field but I feel that they kept us away when it was 10-0, then we presented them some opportunities that they took.”

Peet also looked ahead to this week’s fixture against Catalans: “It’ll need and require a completely different level of performance, probably a level of performance beyond what we have served up this year.”

He also mentioned the Catalans boss, Steve McNamara: “I think Steve McNamara deserves an unbelievable amount of credit for what he’s done. Many Coaches tried in the past to go there and get consistency into Catalans but it’s Steve who has been the one to crack it and build the right culture and recruit the right people.

“I think the work he has done there shouldn’t be underestimated and I’m happy for them to get success because when I’ve been Coaching at different levels with England and in the Academy, Steve always made time for me. He is someone who I hold in high esteem as a Coach and a person and all the players that he’s ever worked with that I speak to rate him highly as a class Coach and a class bloke.”

The Warriors are coming to the end of their Tour de France, with Catalans on Saturday being their final test before flying home. On the trip, Peet said: “ The players have been excellent, we have high standards all the time but when you’re with them 24/7 I’ve been really impressed not just with their professionalism but the team togetherness and the way they’ve engaged with the local people, people in the hotels and Community Clubs over here. I’m very proud of the way we have conducted ourselves so far, it’s allowed us to have a little bit more focus around our review process, time together and also the lads get time to just have downtime as a group.”

He added: “This week off the back of the Toulouse game it has felt very focused, very intense and recovery has been a primary focus as well. We’re here to win, it’s as simple as that. As good as the experience has been, if we don’t get the result at the weekend it won’t be the memory that we want.”

Finally, the Warriors Head Coach is looking forward to seeing the Wigan fans in the stands again this weekend: “I don’t think the number matters, if it’s one or one thousand, I think knowing people are willing to make that commitment of time and finances, there’s a duty to reward, there’s a duty to turn up. Our players have plenty of reasons to be motivated but it’s great to know that you represent a Club where the fans are so committed.”

Tickets for Wigan’s final fixture in France, against Catalans Dragons are still available to buy HERE. The Warriors will wear their charity third kit once more as they take on the dragons, with the limited edition kit also available to buy in-store or online HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/03/ ... -catalans/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan