Wigan squad for Catalans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan squad for Catalans

Post by Caboosegg »

When did Lam come back? I knew catalan would be difficult but we look like we haven't been training.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

It’ll be all Harry Smiths fault I guess :roll: :evil:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Its weird that Bateman and KKP have made the most damaging errors.

Bit hill to climb, but it's like watching the Saints vs Wire match one side well drilled not making errors but trying to play the ref, the other have no idea what to do and mess up every time they get field position.

Didn't need a reality check this week wanted to get to the Derby on a run of wins for the confidence.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Very slow play the ball to get a roll on back to mistakes again and slow play the ball
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Such a basic error to make on their line.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Alot of one man rugby in attack, Bibby bust a tackle and had no support.

Some basic errors in defence but overall still solid in that area.

But attack is none existent, I know you have to play different in wet weather but we seem to have gone back to last years style.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

And another error give Catalan a breather :lol:

I'm not even annoyed anymore least after this won't be busy Thursday and I can get my drink and pie quickly
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

First time we have played anybody of note this season and showed up again Miles away from Sts and Cats I suppose we should have seeni it comming after last week
saint

Post by saint »

Said it time and time again . You will struggle against any organised defence.

Pack is to weak and attack can’t handle line speed . You have made improvements but it’s not enough to challenge for the title this year ( all things being equal ) . Its fair to say last week is as good as a loss , tonight represented the truth about Field etc. . However , you will finish 3rd and will
Make the playoffs so all’s ok
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It was a frustrating watch. Reminiscent of our performances last season albeit not quite as bad. No criticism can really come the way of Leuluai, Cust or Field, as you literally cannot create anything as a playmaker in that situation where the opposition are so dominant.

We were our own worst enemy at times in terms of poor defensive reads, poor discipline and some really basic errors. The pack is a bit of a worry. The starting middles of Singleton, Ellis and Isa have looked ineffective in a few games already this year. When we played Leeds it was most apparent but they were so woeful they couldn't take advantage but there was always a worry that a better team would do. Catalans did. Byrne was okay coming off the bench but couldn't do much by himself.

Farrell and Bateman were very disappointing. I thought we missed a trick by keeping Pearce-Paul at centre throughout the game. He was making some strong carries and he's our best offloader and as the game went on we were desperate for anything that could spark a break. Having him isolated out wide was a waste, as was keeping Shorrocks on the bench and then using him at hooker. What we had been doing wasn't working but there was absolutely no willingness to try and do anything different - despite showing in the first few games that we can be unpredictable and versatile.

No need to panic, but a definite wake up call.