Growth of RL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Growth of RL

Post by pedro »

Brennox7 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:34 am I wasn't having a pop guys or looking for an argument. Just struggling to see how putting a cup game on PPV is going to enhance our viewings. We are making inroads with channel 4 ATM
only c4 isnt ppv
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Just to say, as with the Wigan game, the Wire/Wakey cup tie will be shown on the free channel on Monday afternoon.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pedro wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:35 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:34 am I wasn't having a pop guys or looking for an argument. Just struggling to see how putting a cup game on PPV is going to enhance our viewings. We are making inroads with channel 4 ATM
only c4 isnt ppv
Nobody is disputing that?

He’s clearly making a point that rugby league has made a step forward by showing games on channel 4. I.e free to air and the potential to increase fans. By having the challenge cup on a pay to view channel, it’s a step backwards as challenge cup was traditionally bbc.

It’s a very obvious point.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:02 am
It was a good comment. I moved it from the Rumour Mill though 😊
What is the rumour ?
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:32 pm
only c4 isnt ppv

He’s clearly making a point that rugby league has made a step forward by showing games on channel 4. I.e free to air and the potential to increase fans. By having the challenge cup on a pay to view channel, it’s a step backwards as challenge cup was traditionally bbc.

but the bbc is ppv so what hes saying is he would like the CC on freesports and youtube?....what a money spinner that will be
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:33 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:02 am
It was a good comment. I moved it from the Rumour Mill though 😊
What is the rumour ?
The original post was in the Rumour Mill when it is obvious it’s not a rumour so I moved it.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I don’t think a pay wall is 100% the issue but what this year I think isn’t helping is the scattergun approach to coverage

Some on c4 Some on sky some on premier sports - not sure if that our league on YouTube still shows anything

What I would say and I say this every time growth of the sport is brought up - Asian viewers come from their interests in individuals not teams and not sports

I reckon if I asked anyone to name a rugby league player who isn’t a fan they couldn’t or they would say Kevin sinfiled or maybe Sam Tomkins - that’s the problem you cannot grow a sport without people of interest and rugby league will never grow until someone transcends its walls
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pedro wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:40 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:32 pm

only c4 isnt ppv

but the bbc is ppv so what hes saying is he would like the CC on freesports and youtube?....what a money spinner that will be
You’re clearly being picky for no reason.

It’s very clear you’re trying to argue when it’s very obvious what the poster is trying to say.

And for that reason, I’m out.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

The point I was making (and thanks to those who understood) was RL is trying to grow. But non league fans won't turn to our sport if we carry on showing random games on PPV channels and those who already love our game will also not be appreciative to have to pay extra money to watch your team play.
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

If Premier Sports are pumping money into the sport then i'm all for them having a slice of the pie. Perhaps my view is skewed given that I am a PS subscriber (I never cancelled it after the 2013 World Cup but at the moment they show all the URC Rugby which is my main reason for keeping it)

The point is that Sky have for so long had the monopoly on rugby league that they can basically offer whatever they want to the Superleague for broadcast rights and they have to accept it because there isn't another legitimate offer on the table. PS had the NRL a few years ago and literally showed every match as well as Origin. If we can get a few more broadcasters who want to show Rugby League then its going to bring in more money. The whole issue of the paywall is only going one way. As the models switch more and more towards streaming services you're going to see more and more niche broadcasters come along. If Our League showed all the games that weren't picked for Sky broadcast, i'd pay £10 a month for it and i'm sure countless others would as well.