Optimism

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Optimism

Post by morley pie eater »

I've said this before, but a straw man argument is where you misrepresent what someone is saying in order to argue against your misrepresentation rather than what they actually said.

As far as I'm I'm aware, no-one has ever said that fans have no right to criticise the team. I have, and do, complain about the boringly repetitive criticism of Sam Powell. And I did complain about the speed with which posts criticising players appeared during the first half yesterday.

So you defenders of the right to criticise attack me for criticising you? Shouldn't you also be defending my right to criticise?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
PJC

Post by PJC »

It’s sorted……constructive criticism
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:11 pm I've said this before, but a straw man argument is where you misrepresent what someone is saying in order to argue against your misrepresentation rather than what they actually said.

As far as I'm I'm aware, no-one has ever said that fans have no right to criticise the team. I have, and do, complain about the boringly repetitive criticism of Sam Powell. And I did complain about the speed with which posts criticising players appeared during the first half yesterday.

So you defenders of the right to criticise attack me for criticising you? Shouldn't you also be defending my right to criticise?
My concern is that some posters seem to criticise certain players for the sake of it. My view is that players should be criticised or praised based on their actual performance not on whether you like them or not. Constructive criticism is fine but it needs to be in
perspective and balanced.
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

PJC wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:39 pm First of all every fan has the right to express their opinion. On reading through posts there are negative comments about the team and against some players in particular from some individuals.
A team needs to develop. Success doesn’t come overnight. Yes Wigan could do with a couple of “enforcers” to break the line. But where are the Kelvin Skerrets?
Wigan this season have more spring in their game. So let’s stop highlighting individuals and give some encouragement
Why in heavens name should we highlight all the positives and ignore the negatives,praise is good when deserved as is criticism.As for Skerret and his like they would be a complete liability in todays game so if i were you i would find a better example.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

PJC wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:39 pm First of all every fan has the right to express their opinion. On reading through posts there are negative comments about the team and against some players in particular from some individuals.
A team needs to develop. Success doesn’t come overnight. Yes Wigan could do with a couple of “enforcers” to break the line. But where are the Kelvin Skerrets?
Wigan this season have more spring in their game. So let’s stop highlighting individuals and give some encouragement
Couldn’t agree more.
I was listening to the pundits on the Leeds v Saints pre-match and they were discussing the Leeds coaching situation and James Roby’s contribution to St. Helens.
Jon Wilkin commented that this Saints team has been, “ten years in the making”. I remember that, under Kieran Cunningham, they were bang average.
The Wigan team that Graham Lowe inherited was pretty poor also.
Teams evolve over time and under stable coaching and club administration it should develop in a positive, successful direction.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

PJC

Post by PJC »

To blindside prop. I m quite convinced that Skerret would willingly change his style to accommodate today’s rulings.
More seriously. We are all keen to see Wigan return as a dominant force. However it will take time. I think a lot of frustration from fans is because Wigan have been knocking on the door for so long.
It’s not just about winning cups but the style of play has not been exciting.
I ll say it for the last time let’s give Peet and his players a chance . Some players get “stick” which is not in my view criticism.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I’m optimistic about where we can go in the next couple of years but that could quickly be snuffed out if we don’t manage to stem the talent drain out of the club. We need to keep one of Field/French and we need to tie down Havard and KPP long term. We need to start deciding who leaves on our terms and not always rebuilding.

At the end of this season I presume it’s nailed on Hardaker and Leuluai leave/retire and that’s absolutely fine. One of Field or French is likely to follow them and that should be that. We then need to get the right players in and if we do that we can continue this progress. Guys like Byrne, Smithies, Havard and KPP are getting there but we’ll never ‘get there’ as a team if by the time they’re hitting their mid twenties they’re playing elsewhere. All we’ll be doing then is developing players for other clubs.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

ITS A FORUM!

Its were we can say what we like good or bad and why?

Because it doesnt matter, it's a forum.

The people who complain about posts on here are not the people who criticise the players but the ones who dont. So please try to stop dictating who can say what!

This argument/discussion keeps repeating its self time and time again.

Just let people say what they like without criticising them because it doesn't matter!

Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:50 am ITS A FORUM!

Its were we can say what we like good or bad and why?

Because it doesnt matter, it's a forum.

The people who complain about posts on here are not the people who criticise the players but the ones who dont. So please try to stop dictating who can say what!

This argument/discussion keeps repeating its self time and time again.

Just let people say what they like without criticising them because it doesn't matter!
i think thats pretty much bang on pal……. What makes me laugh is that you cant criticise a wigan player while he plays for our club but your allowed to once he leaves
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I agree with the last two posts. People should be able to post what they want to say (within reason) without the rest of us getting on their back because they're being negative. I assume that the players have enough sense to avoid this site in which case they shouldn't be upset by anything posted here. It's not good for any of us to only read opinions that we agree with.