Team v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Team v Saints

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

As bad as it is to have Zak out along with Marshy and our other starting centres in Thornley and obviously KPP out, I still think any team with Field and French coming into some sort of fitness are dangerous all over the park.

To win on Friday we will need every player from 1-17 to put in a performance too.

Field
French
Bateman
Isa
Bibby

Cust
Leuluai

Singleton
Powell
Bryne
Mcdonnell
Farrell
Shorrocks

Mago
Partington
Smithies
Havard

Toss up really between Halsall to centre with Isa in the pack and Mcdonnell starting second row.
I still feel we just about have enough to stay in the game if everyone tips up. Massive games needed from everyone. No point pinpointing anyone. We can't have any passengers tomorrow.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:51 am As bad as it is to have Zak out along with Marshy and our other starting centres in Thornley and obviously KPP out, I still think any team with Field and French coming into some sort of fitness are dangerous all over the park.

To win on Friday we will need every player from 1-17 to put in a performance too.

Field
French
Bateman
Isa
Bibby

Cust
Leuluai

Singleton
Powell
Bryne
Mcdonnell
Farrell
Shorrocks

Mago
Partington
Smithies
Havard

Toss up really between Halsall to centre with Isa in the pack and Mcdonnell starting second row.
I still feel we just about have enough to stay in the game if everyone tips up. Massive games needed from everyone. No point pinpointing anyone. We can't have any passengers tomorrow.
Field
French
Bateman
Bibby
Halsall

Cust
Leuluai

Singleton
Powell
Mago
Isa
Farrell
Smithies

Partington
Byrne
Havard
Shorrocks
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Hardaker has been stepped down from selection for a couple of punctuality breaches. Nothing serious

I believe he was out on a night out before training on the final occasion, this was after the Wakefield game.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Saints squad

St Helens

1 Jack Welsby
2 Tommy Makinson
3 Will Hopoate
4 Mark Percival
6 Jonny Lomax
7 Lewis Dodd
8 Alex Walmsley
9 James Roby
10 Matty Lees
12 Joe Batchelor
13 Morgan Knowles
14 Joey Lussick
15 LMS
17 Agnatius Paasi
19 Jake Wingfield
20 James Bell
22 Ben Davies
23 Konrad Hurrell
24 Dan Norman
26 Sam Royle
27 Jon Bennison
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:36 am Saints squad

St Helens

1 Jack Welsby
2 Tommy Makinson
3 Will Hopoate
4 Mark Percival
6 Jonny Lomax
7 Lewis Dodd
8 Alex Walmsley
9 James Roby
10 Matty Lees
12 Joe Batchelor
13 Morgan Knowles
14 Joey Lussick
15 LMS
17 Agnatius Paasi
19 Jake Wingfield
20 James Bell
22 Ben Davies
23 Konrad Hurrell
24 Dan Norman
26 Sam Royle
27 Jon Bennison
this is where i think we have a better / deeper squad than Saints (not saying we are going to win anything or we are better than them), and if they were hit with injuries like we have had in the past couple of seasons, then they would struggle. If they had key players out like we have had then they definitely would (I know we cant rewrite history and it didnt happen, so probably irrelevant).

if you look at their 21 for GF with 3 missing out of their starting line up, they are looking thin in quality further down the pecking order, and only missing 1 back and 1 forward from their starting 1-13. Our bench will be stronger, but we need to be able to match their intensity in the forwards in the opening 20 mins to give us a fighting chance
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am not worried about the result, all I am expecting is a good performance from all of our 17. Whatever happens, be assured that the semi-final will be a different game altogether. Our team, especially our coaches, will learn a lot from this fixture.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:01 pm I am not worried about the result, all I am expecting is a good performance from all of our 17. Whatever happens, be assured that the semi-final will be a different game altogether. Our team, especially our coaches, will learn a lot from this fixture.
Agree 100%.

I'll be happy with 2 good performances with plenty team spirit and endeavour on display, maintaining the progress we've made.

I'd be hopeful that we can start to match Saints by next season. It's too soon to expect that at this stage, though we can still hope.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:01 pm I am not worried about the result, all I am expecting is a good performance from all of our 17. Whatever happens, be assured that the semi-final will be a different game altogether. Our team, especially our coaches, will learn a lot from this fixture.
Control Alex Walmsley and you control a huge part of the way Saints play.
Move up quick on him and take him low….. stops his metres after contact plus he seems to be picking up a few knocks lately.
Sounds easy but it’s a bit like them saying stop Jai Field and you stop Wigan.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:16 am Hardaker has been stepped down from selection for a couple of punctuality breaches. Nothing serious

I believe he was out on a night out before training on the final occasion, this was after the Wakefield game.
To the management that is serious enough to leave him out.The man is a moron,will never change and is a waste of talent.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Dan2266 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:16 am Hardaker has been stepped down from selection for a couple of punctuality breaches. Nothing serious

Well if this is true it’s a complete overreaction by the club. I was only thinking about this before I saw your post. He’s been dropped yet he’s still in the fold and in contention for the next game? If you do something to get yourself dropped from the biggest game of the season so far, a game very important to the fans, how is it possible if the week after it’s like nothing happened?

Just fine him for goodness sake. The people who are punished from this the most are his teammates who are missing someone in form and their goal kicker and also the fans. I doubt there is one fan out there who doesn’t think this makes a win less likely.