Team v Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Team v Saints

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:54 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:08 am I also don’t agree with players getting special privileges. In fact I don’t agree with the Marquee player either. Especially a forward!!
I get to a degree not liking the marquee player exemptions, but why does it matter if its a forward or a back?
Perhaps it’s because the marquee at the moment doesn’t really deserve it IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:07 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:08 am I also don’t agree with players getting special privileges. In fact I don’t agree with the Marquee player either. Especially a forward!!
I get to a degree not liking the marquee player exemptions, but why does it matter if its a forward or a back?
Who is the marquee player?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

pearsy wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:00 am Hope Powell got the Souths game on watching D Cook this morning
How many tackles did he make and miss?
saint

Post by saint »

Good morning guys .

Today is the day . Arguably the best day in the calendar !

Whatever happened with Zak must be disappointing for you but fair and play to the club for taking that action . A lesson that all clubs should follow .

Irrespective, i hope you enjoy the day at our place and the game is a good one .

Look after each other and enjoy !

COYS
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:07 am

Who is the marquee player?
Bateman
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

saint wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:17 am Good morning guys .

Today is the day . Arguably the best day in the calendar !

Whatever happened with Zak must be disappointing for you but fair and play to the club for taking that action . A lesson that all clubs should follow .

Irrespective, i hope you enjoy the day at our place and the game is a good one .

Look after each other and enjoy !

COYS
Nice one, enjoy your day too 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Not having Marshall, Hardaker, Thornley or KPP as options in the backs is a blow, but I don't think our backs have been outstanding this year (Field aside) so in theory we should be able to field a backline of relatively similar strength.

Marshall is the biggest loss, but if you view French as his replacement it's not the biggest step down from where we were at the start of the year.
Hardaker was very good against Wakefield but fairly average most of the season. His defence is his strength but if Bateman replaces him at centre that's not a huge step down either (though it weakens the back row). Bateman's strength in that role is his defence and he's played well when asked to fill in at centre this season.
Bibby presumably remains at left centre because that at least keeps some consistency.
That means the question is who takes that wing spot that was earmarked for either Thornley or Hardaker at the start of the season - presumably it's a straight choice between Halsall or Miski and I'd prefer Halsall. Neither Thornley or Hardaker have been outstanding in that role, so if Halsall plays like he has done on the wing previously then it's not the biggest step down either. Miski is the one who is bit of an unknown following his difficult debut against Toulouse.

Maybe Matt Peet will be tempted by having two second row forwards at centre and playing Bibby on the wing but he's the only player who seems to have been consistently played in one role in that backline so it would seem a risk to make more changes than necessary.

The key will probably be how well our pack deals with their forwards. Even in games we've won there's been a tendency for our pack to end up on the back foot for long spells and struggle to get out of our own 30 while facing sustained pressure. Sometimes we can soak that pressure up, but I can't see Saints being kept out if they dominate us like that. The players are going to have to give it everything.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Miski is playing on the wing. Hopefully he will be able to catch the ball today.

One thing I am looking for is a sign that the game matters to our lot, and that we keep fighting however far behind we fall. We have had worse teams in about 15 of the last 20 years. Which, given the relative resources is a disgrace. We need to draw a line in the sand at some point, and look to create a better culture, sign better players and work harder than they do. It will take a while, but i hope Peet will be the man to make sure in a few years we can go into these games as favourites.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:04 pm Miski is playing on the wing. Hopefully he will be able to catch the ball today.

One thing I am looking for is a sign that the game matters to our lot, and that we keep fighting however far behind we fall. We have had worse teams in about 15 of the last 20 years. Which, given the relative resources is a disgrace. We need to draw a line in the sand at some point, and look to create a better culture, sign better players and work harder than they do. It will take a while, but i hope Peet will be the man to make sure in a few years we can go into these games as favourites.
Agree. must Say didn't expect a post from Rwander? So Soon Exiled Warrior 🍷😎
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Good old sky.

Field has been winning games single Handedly and the only difference between this year and last is field.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.