IT IS VERY CLEAR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: IT IS VERY CLEAR

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:21 pm
Wormburner wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:11 pm Bibby
Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
You can add Thornley to that list as well and given age is an issue what’s the plan to replace Faz?
Why do we need to talk about replacing Faz when he is playing as well as ever ?
He was poor by his standards today.
Charriots Offiah

Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
We need to free up some non-federation spots to enable the club to sign better players. A centre, scrum half and stand off are essential. We need more speed and size in our backs. Bibby and Miski on the wings must represent our slowest wing pairing ever. I don’t know who scouts these players but they need to look for an alternative job.

P.s. now we have resigned Field, French needs to go as he is a luxury.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I thought we made too many poor decisions in attack especially in the back end of the first half.

We have the ball away too cheaply and failed to pressure Saints when we had the opportunity - ultimately that meant they turned round and put us under pressure.

Our ability to keep the skill level, decision making and structure when under pressure was lacking too often.

There's no reason why this can't be improved with the current set of players but as Peet said it takes time and not a switch you can flick.

We failed to get our best players in the right positions to ask questions of saints often enough and again I think it's down to conditioning, teamwork and performing under intense pressure All these things can be improved with the current squad.

It would be great to sign some better players but we can get so much more out of what we have.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I agree that we can get more out of what we have, but we need to face up to the reality that we have been second best over decades. Yesterday’s game was the inevitable end result of Saints being better than us off the field in every way for a long time.

This is not a one off bounce of the ball/players having an off day - this was our 13th defeat in 15 games, and we didn’t even give them a hard game. We need to face reality as a club - whatever systems we have in place are inadequate when it comes to matching our main rivals. Unless we accept that as our starting point the next 25 years will be as bad as the last 25 years. And frankly I want to see us being top dogs on a regular basis again before I pass away.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:54 am I agree that we can get more out of what we have, but we need to face up to the reality that we have been second best over decades. Yesterday’s game was the inevitable end result of Saints being better than us off the field in every way for a long time.

This is not a one off bounce of the ball/players having an off day - this was our 13th defeat in 15 games, and we didn’t even give them a hard game. We need to face reality as a club - whatever systems we have in place are inadequate when it comes to matching our main rivals. Unless we accept that as our starting point the next 25 years will be as bad as the last 25 years. And frankly I want to see us being top dogs on a regular basis again before I pass away.
Me too!

I think this is a very good point. Over the last 20 years or so we have had success by "upping" our game against Saints.

It's about time we went into these games requiring them to do the same.

We have one of, if not the best youth systems in the country in Wigan, yet we still allow quality players to slip through the net and join other clubs on a regular basis e.g. Welsby and Makinson from yesterday alone.

We should be bossing the league on a regular basis. What on earth is going wrong?
Charriots Offiah

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:28 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:54 am I agree that we can get more out of what we have, but we need to face up to the reality that we have been second best over decades. Yesterday’s game was the inevitable end result of Saints being better than us off the field in every way for a long time.

Me too!

I think this is a very good point. Over the last 20 years or so we have had success by "upping" our game against Saints.

It's about time we went into these games requiring them to do the same.

We have one of, if not the best youth systems in the country in Wigan, yet we still allow quality players to slip through the net and join other clubs on a regular basis e.g. Welsby and Makinson from yesterday alone.

We should be bossing the league on a regular basis. What on earth is going wrong?
Our youth system is not the problem it is our recruitment that has been woeful at times.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
You can add Thornley to that list as well and given age is an issue what’s the plan to replace Faz?
My reference to Faz is due to his age he can’t go on forever so a sensible club would be planning on his retirement. But then this current Wigan regime will probably say he can decide when that is and he will still be playing at 40!
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

You can add Tommy to that list albeit he is playing better this season. As much as I like to see French beat people where can we play him as Field is too good to move from fullback? Bevan’s defence is terrible.

Our recruitment and retaining players has been our downfall for the last 5 years. The first test of this improving and Peet having an impact is whether we extend Powell’s contract. He needs to be let go as he is holding back Oneils development. Similarly with Bibby and Thornley. Halsall should be gaining more first team games even if it’s on the wing. That’s were Edwards started.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:04 pm

My reference to Faz is due to his age he can’t go on forever so a sensible club would be planning on his retirement. But then this current Wigan regime will probably say he can decide when that is and he will still be playing at 40!
I was just about to write the same thing,he’s not getting younger and it’s Wigan haphazard approach to retention and planning that is hindering the club
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Graham1 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:41 pm You can add Tommy to that list albeit he is playing better this season. As much as I like to see French beat people where can we play him as Field is too good to move from fullback? Bevan’s defence is terrible.

Our recruitment and retaining players has been our downfall for the last 5 years. The first test of this improving and Peet having an impact is whether we extend Powell’s contract. He needs to be let go as he is holding back Oneils development. Similarly with Bibby and Thornley. Halsall should be gaining more first team games even if it’s on the wing. That’s were Edwards started.
I assume with the new deal for Field French will move on at seasons end because it’s madness to have 2 players,while really exciting to watch but are oh so similar and fullbacks to boot other positions need looking at rather than having 2 identikit players in the squad?