IT IS VERY CLEAR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: IT IS VERY CLEAR

Post by Mike »

When Faz retires we'll probably sign 3 centres or something. We sign players need on value and availability, never based on team need. The fish is then she'd to fit them in.

Our youth program churns out never ending adequate second rows. Good enough to be dominant at that level, but just ok in SL.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:43 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:04 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 pm

Why do we need to talk about replacing Faz when he is playing as well as ever ?
My reference to Faz is due to his age he can’t go on forever so a sensible club would be planning on his retirement. But then this current Wigan regime will probably say he can decide when that is and he will still be playing at 40!
I was just about to write the same thing,he’s not getting younger and it’s Wigan haphazard approach to retention and planning that is hindering the club
We have got plenty replacements coming through for Faz, what we have not got is many backs lined up, that’s where we need to invest our cash. I expect Faz to go on for a few years yet though.
Charriots Offiah

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 pm
Graham1 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:41 pm You can add Tommy to that list albeit he is playing better this season. As much as I like to see French beat people where can we play him as Field is too good to move from fullback? Bevan’s defence is terrible.

Our recruitment and retaining players has been our downfall for the last 5 years. The first test of this improving and Peet having an impact is whether we extend Powell’s contract. He needs to be let go as he is holding back Oneils development. Similarly with Bibby and Thornley. Halsall should be gaining more first team games even if it’s on the wing. That’s were Edwards started.
I assume with the new deal for Field French will move on at seasons end because it’s madness to have 2 players,while really exciting to watch but are oh so similar and fullbacks to boot other positions need looking at rather than having 2 identikit players in the squad?
Agreed. We need to free up spots and money to recruit. We should be expecting Tommy to retire with French, Bibby and Hardaker being released, that should enable us to recruit a half, centre and winger.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

DaveO wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:04 pm My reference to Faz is due to his age he can’t go on forever so a sensible club would be planning on his retirement. But then this current Wigan regime will probably say he can decide when that is and he will still be playing at 40!
To what extent can the club seriously plan ahead for this when it might happen in 3 or 4 years time? We've already got more back row forwards at the club than we can fit in the team at any one time. Isa will almost certainly be the first to go.

The only way to really plan for Farrell's retirement at this point in time is to just keep the back row as strong as possible and keep working on developing the likes of Smithies, Pearce-Paul, Shorrocks, McDonnell, Nicholson and Nsemba. That seems to be exactly what the club are doing.

Some of those players will not be at the club when Farrell retires, there will be other young players in the academy showing promise and there will be the option of bringing in a new signing if necessary. What the club can't do is predict who is going to be available to sign for this eventual moment when Farrell retires.

It just seems odd to say 'what's the plan for replacing Farrell' when it's pretty much impossible to have a concrete plan in place at this moment in time. Particularly when there are other pressing concerns and his position is one that we've got so much depth in already.
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

We seem to be obsessed with bringing youngsters into the squad, We have enough already, They either turn out to be mediocre though some fans would have you believe different or the they turn out to be great and go to Oz the first chance they get, I don't recall having such young packs back in the glory days, I know we can't have superstars everywhere but it would be nice to have battle hardened/veteran players inserted into certain positions to lead us around the field. If Isa, French & Miski leave then that's 3 quota places, Then there's Tommy, not sure if he counts, 2 veteran Aussie props and a veteran Aussie winger, as well as one or two seasoned British players and away we go.

For instance

James Tamou
Martin Taupau
Aiden Tolman

Would surely be an improvement over Singleton and Partington for a season or two

George Jennings in for Miski

Stevie Wonder could see how that one would turn out

If Tommy place counted then I would be interested in maybe enticing Mason Lino into the fold

Give O'Neil the Hooking role and find us a decent (non former Wigan) Winger

No doubt the usual suspect will tear this apart, But I reckon this is the way forward, Maybe not with these new signings but new signings of equal quality
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:50 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:21 pm
Wormburner wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:11 pm Bibby
Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
You can add Thornley to that list as well and given age is an issue what’s the plan to replace Faz?
Why do we need to talk about replacing Faz when he is playing as well as ever ?
Because some people struggle to talk through their mouths bout thinking, never mind their lower orifice.
At least Smith being slagged off has had a rest till the next time he plays!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
You can add Thornley to that list as well and given age is an issue what’s the plan to replace Faz?
We didn’t plan for the retirement of Lockers what makes you think there will be any forward thinking or planning for Faz or Tommy retiring?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:50 pm
Miski
Singleton
Powell
Isa
Partington

All need replacing
We didn’t plan for the retirement of Lockers what makes you think there will be any forward thinking or planning for Faz or Tommy retiring?
Let's be honest it was impossible to plan for lockers retirement I don't know of another loose forward in SL that's anything like him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:57 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:45 pm
Graham1 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:41 pm You can add Tommy to that list albeit he is playing better this season. As much as I like to see French beat people where can we play him as Field is too good to move from fullback? Bevan’s defence is terrible.

Our recruitment and retaining players has been our downfall for the last 5 years. The first test of this improving and Peet having an impact is whether we extend Powell’s contract. He needs to be let go as he is holding back Oneils development. Similarly with Bibby and Thornley. Halsall should be gaining more first team games even if it’s on the wing. That’s were Edwards started.
I assume with the new deal for Field French will move on at seasons end because it’s madness to have 2 players,while really exciting to watch but are oh so similar and fullbacks to boot other positions need looking at rather than having 2 identikit players in the squad?
Agreed. We need to free up spots and money to recruit. We should be expecting Tommy to retire with French, Bibby and Hardaker being released, that should enable us to recruit a half, centre and winger.
"We" shouldn't be expecting Tommy to do anything, It should always the club's decision. It's the fact the club has treated some of the playing staff as "irreplaceable" that has left the side as it is.

I've said before, if Sam Powell is re-signed then O'Neill needs to be moved on, it would be a waste of talent and salary cap to keep him. Keep muddling on, playing anyone there that trains well - seems to be the norm now for Wigan's hooking spot

Willie Isa was really great in one of the worse ever season's for Wigan last year. Result - a new 2 year deal. Madness for someone who was only ever recruited for squad purposes but now seen to be first name on the team sheet but without being good at either centre or back row positions now. Fills a quota spot AND slows development of others. What would have happened if we had used the quota and money to recruit a centre and play KPP at back row? Least all the Isa fans will be happy we have him for another year

As for Miski. What's to say that hasn't already been said?. Wigan were done like a kipper with that deal and we have yet another quota spot wasted on someone not even top of the table championship standard.

With recruitment decisions like these I'm not holding my breath for 2023
Back by demand.
Charriots Offiah

Wormburner wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:29 pm We seem to be obsessed with bringing youngsters into the squad, We have enough already, They either turn out to be mediocre though some fans would have you believe different or the they turn out to be great and go to Oz the first chance they get, I don't recall having such young packs back in the glory days, I know we can't have superstars everywhere but it would be nice to have battle hardened/veteran players inserted into certain positions to lead us around the field. If Isa, French & Miski leave then that's 3 quota places, Then there's Tommy, not sure if he counts, 2 veteran Aussie props and a veteran Aussie winger, as well as one or two seasoned British players and away we go.

For instance

James Tamou
Martin Taupau
Aiden Tolman

Would surely be an improvement over Singleton and Partington for a season or two

George Jennings in for Miski

Stevie Wonder could see how that one would turn out

If Tommy place counted then I would be interested in maybe enticing Mason Lino into the fold

Give O'Neil the Hooking role and find us a decent (non former Wigan) Winger

No doubt the usual suspect will tear this apart, But I reckon this is the way forward, Maybe not with these new signings but new signings of equal quality
Tommy isn’t a non-federation player.

There have been players over here that would have done a good job for us, Hill and Westerman being two.

Brodie Croft would be my pick.