Player ratings vs Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Blackpool_Pie

Player ratings vs Saints

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Field -
French
Bibby -
Bateman -
Miski -

Cust -
Leuluai -

Singleton -
Powell -
Bryne -
Isa -
Farrell -
Smithies -

Mago -
Partington -
Havard -
Shorrocks -

Use this as a template. Give your rating for each player and use as much or as little description as you like to explain your ratings
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Player ratings vs Saints

Post by Mike »

Field - 7
French - 5
Bibby - 1
Bateman - 4
Miski - 1

Cust - 6
Leuluai - 8 (whist he was on)

Singleton - 7
Powell - 6
Bryne - 5
Isa - 5
Farrell - 6
Smithies - 4

Mago - 3
Partington - 4
Havard - 6
Shorrocks - 5
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Field - 6
French - 6
Bibby - 1
Bateman - 4
Miski - 1

Cust - 5
Leuluai - 8

Singleton - 4
Powell - 2
Bryne - 4
Isa - 2
Farrell - 4
Smithies - 3

Mago - 2
Partington - 1
Havard - 2
Shorrocks - 2

out of 10
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Field - 6
French - 6
Bibby - 2
Bateman - 3
Miski - 2

Cust - 6
Leuluai - 8

Singleton - 6
Powell - 5
Bryne - 5
Isa - 5
Farrell - 5
Smithies - 5

Mago - 4
Partington - 5
Havard - 6
Shorrocks - 4
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Probably be different when I eventually see the game back, but

Field - 7
French - 5 Being generous there. Some awful defending.
Bibby - 2
Bateman - 5
Miski - 1 I think it's all been said! :lol:

Cust - 6
Leuluai - 8

Singleton - 7
Powell - 6
Byrne - 4
Isa - 3
Farrell - 6
Smithies - 5

Mago - 5 Unlike Havard, he didn't pass to a Saints player with a try beckoning.
Partington - 3
Havard - 4
Shorrocks - 6 Didn't get many minutes, but didn't do much wrong that I saw, plus some good things.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Field - 6 - Took his try well and did the best he could
Miski - 5 - Some reasonably good carries but his errors make him a liability
Bateman - 5 - A bit of effort but he wasn't that noticeable, which isn't really what you come to expect.
Bibby - 3 - Pretty dire
French - 4 - I have some sympathy for his defensive issues - he couldn't trust Bibby with Hurrell

Cust - 6 - Good effort I thought in a tough game
Leuluai - 8 - Our best player by a mile until he got injured

Singleton - 7 - Impressive in defence. Not that effective going forward but put the effort in
Powell - 5 - Would have been a 7 based on his first half display, but the sin bin made any comeback impossible
Byrne - 6 - Did pretty much nothing with ball in hand but defended quite well
Isa - 6 - Fairly solid although he did make some daft decisions in that game
Farrell - 7 - Tougher game than usual for him but as the day ended in a y he was still our top metre making forward
Smithies - 7 - His defence was impressive against a big pack and I thought he made some good metres too

Mago - 4 - Average gain of 3 metres. Not much work in defence. Completely ineffective going forward
Partington - 4 - Largely ineffective and fairly anonymous
Havard - 7 - Just like Singleton he worked tirelessly in defence. Messing up that break was costly though
Shorrocks - 6 - Didn't get much time but put Havard through which should have resulted in more. Needs more minutes.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Field - 6
Miski - 1 (that should be his final appearance, get Halsall in)
Bateman - 5
Bibby - 1
French - 3
Cust - 7
Leuluai - 7
Singleton - 6
Powell - 1
Partington - 1 (until the laws of physics change, he will be a waste of a shirt at prop in big games)
Faz - 6
Isa - 4
Smithies - 5

Mago - 4
Havard - 6
Shorrocks - 6
Byrne - 6
Wormburner

Post by Wormburner »

Field - 7
French - 5
Bibby - 3
Bateman - 4
Miski - 1

Cust - 7
Leuluai - 6

Singleton - 3
Powell - 1
Bryne - 6
Isa - 5
Farrell - 6
Smithies - 5

Mago - 4
Partington - 3
Havard - 5
Shorrocks - 5
Let's is a contraction of “let us.” You use it to make suggestions about what you and someone else should do. Let's is NOT a promise
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Field - good in D, good when he had the ball in space we didn't create much opportunity for him. 7

French. Not sure the critical issues on that edge was his, Bibby passes to him early we score Bibby defends Hurrell better he doesn't get dragged in 6

Bibby - not good enough at centre this happened before against Leeds with Hurrell we ended moving him. I like the lad but for me he's a back up winger, centre a very last resort. Another squad player who is first choice The chance he blew, and the main issue for us all game a kind 1

Bateman - wasted at centre play your best players in their best positions 5

Miski - second game no chance to build any confidence. Doesn't look blessed with enough pace for me to be a top winger one mistake off that kick but worked hard does he give us more than Halsall? 5

Cust - in tight games you need your half to create I actually thought it was a good performance from him pretty solid created the early chance with a burst which was blown by poor centre play. We never created enough field position or platform for him to do more 7

Leuluai - Well I admit I thought this was a season or two to be honest to many but I was wrong been great and we look a little lost without him. One of the best tacklers you will see the best tackling half I have ever seen 8

Singleton - don't get the down on this lad he's solid does not drop a lot of ball in collision put in some real hard hits that first period I thought he was our best forward on the day 7

Powell - Let me start by saying this score will be effected by a tackle that makes me embarrassed no place for it in the game it's tough enough without that. If I was coach he wouldn't need the RFL to suspend him I would drop him myself and I wish we would for Monday when I believe he's available for selection. Other than that you get what you get good D and decent distribution. For me I want more from a 9 it's such an important position as Roby shows. The front row did hold its own in that first period like for like I just never feel we get the easy front foot yards and spark no problem with him in a team that does not have 3 or four squad players first choice every week when we do? 0

Bryne - good first spell with Singo we kept Walmsley as quiet as we have done for last four seasons. The yards forward are still a worry these lads should be hitting flat ball from the advantage line at speed. They get enough practice time. For me he should be back sooner second half big lad big engine just needs to get that yardage on carries up. Walmsley was playing championship at same age plenty time improved this season. 6

Isa - I like Willie seems a good bloke he's the squad player we should carry does he get into a fully fit team no not for me but he can be part of that team and will play most weeks because of injuries and suspensions does what he does 5

Farrell - not his most flashy game but it's hard at that intensity when your not on the front foot I didn't look at their team and think players stood out it's about team at that level not seen the stats but imagine as usual Faz will be up their on most things 6

Smithies - our most improved player this season I thought he was solid again without looking at the stats he will be up there with most things cemented himself for me in the 17 and I hope he carries on his progress. 6

Mago - he's the impact prop we need but we don't always lay the platform. At times instead of being the crowd pleaser I think he wants to be he just needs to role his sleaves up and run the ball in. Critical for us when we bring him on and who with 4

Partington - never question his heart
and passion for me he's in that squad player position but plays most weeks we can afford a couple but? 3

Havard - obviously loads of potential burst the line but poor pass. He's exactly the type of player like KPP and Smithies we need to keep and develop and build a team around but already rumours and stories around contracts and how hard to keep, in a capped sport is it worth it? how do you invest so much with development of players without reaping the finished article rewards. 6

Shorrocks - again something about the lad but not sure what position again young so may develop further. It's another example of balance of squad youth and cap. Unlike some I actually do think he could make a 9. I think we need to look at these lads at younger ages and not slot them into types. When I was coaching a junior side our best player who was basically a man at 13 came to me to say he was going to Jude's who was the dominant team at that age group. We played him in most positions I told him to say he was a centre because it would develop his game better than being used as a battering ram. He asked why and I told him he may not always have the physical advantages he had now. He ended up playing centre and won NWC for three years and national cup. He also played for England and signed for Saints.
That physical advantage did drop and though a big lad he didn't grow much more. That's the risk but your late developers are sometimes missed and you catch them later or worse drop from the game disheartened completely. It's such a hard task in a capped sport.
Anyway though Joe did well he's more than just a run of the mill player he's good hands runs decent lines we have not seen him out wider much for us where he came through at second row. 6
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I think lucky 13’s post highlights an issue with the squad. Too many young players who arrived at the same time some who are just average and yet the club seems to want to keep them all.

Add this to the squad having players like Isa, Bibby and Miski in it we just have too many average players as the ratings peole have given show. This won’t change until Rads drops his seemingly automatic progression system where once a player is deemed part of the first team squad they get a contract on a certain wage and of a certain duration regardless of how good they are. This is a system I believe he copied from Leeds but he’s applying it slavishly. There would be nothing wrong with paying Partington half the wage of Harvard for example and if the former decided he was worth more he’d be free to try his luck at another club.