Bill Ashurst: Former Wigan rugby player returns home following a medical scare

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Bill Ashurst: Former Wigan rugby player returns home following a medical scare

Post by josie andrews »

A former Wigan rugby player has returned home following a medical scare.

Bill Ashurst, who enjoyed two separate spells at Central Park during the 1960s and 1970s, was admitted to hospital at the beginning of April.

At the weekend he posted an update on Facebook to let people know how he was doing.

He wrote: “Thank you to all my friends and family for all your best wishes and prayers. After many tests for a tummy bleed, I can go home today.

If not I must carry this tribulation called hospital food, wow give me Jim Mills anytime.

“Anyway, I am in high spirits and hope to be back in the company of friends soon.”

During his playing career, Ashurst also played for Penrith Panthers, Wakefield Trinity and Runcorn Highfield, as well as representing Great Britain.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... re-3658609
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
HDS

Re: Bill Ashurst: Former Wigan rugby player returns home following a medical scare

Post by HDS »

So glad to hear Bill is out of hospital, hopefully a full recovery is just around the corner.
Bill was unfortunate to play for Wigan in a barren spell for the club. He was talented enough to grace any Wigan team so he tends to slip under the radar.
If he had played in the more successful teams he would be in the Wigan Hall of Fame now a place his undoubted talents deserve.
pedro

Re: Bill Ashurst: Former Wigan rugby player returns home following a medical scare

Post by pedro »

did we not get 2 world record fees for him?
HDS

Post by HDS »

His move to Penrith was a world record fee. His move to Wakefield was a British record fee.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He’s in Penrith’s equivalent to the Hall of Fame. Fantastic player. What a great backrow we had in Robinson, Ashurst and Laughton.
pedro

Post by pedro »

yeah, they pay for to go every year to meet up
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Never a dull moment when Bill played. Great memories. I'm sure he once decked John Mantle and handed himself over to the ref for sending off - does anyone remember?

Super-talented player. Best wishes to him.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

I remember the Runcorn players going on strike which meant Bill pulling on a jersey at the age of about 46 or 47...😅😅
During the game against us he decided to have crack at Andy Goodway and came a very distant second in that fight 😅
My dad knew him vaguely and had massive respect for him as a player and as a bloke. Didn't he become some sort of minister in a church in recent years??
PJC

Post by PJC »

Favourite Bill Ashurst comment.
He played inBoston’s final testimonial match (1968?). It. was asked by Boston that Ashurst should be his centre . At the time he was an up and coming player just breaking through.
He reputedly said to Boston “ Leave it to me Billy I ll make you into a good player “
pedro

Post by pedro »

Shevvylad wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:29 am I remember the Runcorn players going on strike which meant Bill pulling on a jersey at the age of about 46 or 47...😅😅
During the game against us he decided to have crack at Andy Goodway and came a very distant second in that fight 😅
My dad knew him vaguely and had massive respect for him as a player and as a bloke. Didn't he become some sort of minister in a church in recent years??
All I remember is him butting and sparking out good way and getting sent off