Leuluai

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Leuluai

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:46 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:09 pm A high grade MCL injury does not normally mean months on the sidelines, it has got to be something worse than that or Matt has got his terminology wrong.
I’m sure Pete and the doctors know more than you do on this one.
I don’t doubt it but ‘normally’ that type of injury is weeks rather than months. I think there is more to it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:55 pm
Wigan_ITK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm If rumours are to believed Medlocke then he's looking at going around again and the club are working to offer him another year.

As much as Tommy is a club legend and the service he's offered I think this would be the wrong decision.

We’d lose another quota spot, the salary can be spent elsewhere on the squad and we also need an opportunity to see how the Cust / Smith partnership gels. If it’s not gelling as we’d like to hope and we do need to look for another 6 or 7 then we should be keeping one eye on the future not looking to delay for another year by re-signing Tommy.

Yes no one, including him, would want to finish on the back of an injury but surely a time has to come to make that decision.
I don't agree with that.

If we were talking about handing him a 3 year deal then yes, but he is one of our best players on current form. Age is irrelevant.

He offers far more than Bateman for example.
Age isn’t irrelevant if the injuries he picked up last year and this year are linked to his age and future warning signs.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_ITK

Post by Wigan_ITK »

Exactly Nathan.

He missed a large chunk of last season due to a long term injury and signs are he’ll miss a chunk of this season because of another injury.

With his all action tough defending he’s putting his body in the line week in week out and it’s showing signs of starting to creek and there are warning signs there.

Can the club afford to offer him a new deal and take some of the salary cap from potential new signings if there’s a good probability he could break down again next season.

His form so far this season would warrant a new deal but you have to weigh that up against his recent injuries.
Charriots Offiah

Wigan_ITK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:37 pm Exactly Nathan.

He missed a large chunk of last season due to a long term injury and signs are he’ll miss a chunk of this season because of another injury.

With his all action tough defending he’s putting his body in the line week in week out and it’s showing signs of starting to creek and there are warning signs there.

Can the club afford to offer him a new deal and take some of the salary cap from potential new signings if there’s a good probability he could break down again next season.

His form so far this season would warrant a new deal but you have to weigh that up against his recent injuries.
He was very unfortunate with this injury.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Fortunate in what sense?
Charriots Offiah

Bobby-WRL wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:14 pm Fortunate in what sense?
Unfortunate.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Looked like it could have happened to anyone in that scenario with the way his leg got caught and twisted.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_ITK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm If rumours are to believed Medlocke then he's looking at going around again and the club are working to offer him another year.

As much as Tommy is a club legend and the service he's offered I think this would be the wrong decision.

We’d lose another quota spot, the salary can be spent elsewhere on the squad and we also need an opportunity to see how the Cust / Smith partnership gels. If it’s not gelling as we’d like to hope and we do need to look for another 6 or 7 then we should be keeping one eye on the future not looking to delay for another year by re-signing Tommy.

Yes no one, including him, would want to finish on the back of an injury but surely a time has to come to make that decision.
I don't agree with that.

If we were talking about handing him a 3 year deal then yes, but he is one of our best players on current form. Age is irrelevant.

I do agree with it and why assume age is irrelevant? A younger player who you would expect to be more flexible might not have been injured or injured as badly as Tommy has been.

He can obviously still play the game at a high level but it’s a gamble as he gets older he can see a season out and it’s not proven that he can sustain the high standard for a full season. It’s more reasonable to assume he won’t be able to do it and the club should be looking to replace him now.

I doubt they will and this won’t be because they think Tommy is exceptional. It will be because, unfortunately, it has become a feature of the current regime they keep players playing too long. They did it with Lockers and Clubb and they are doing it with Tommy. They also don’t appear to be looking for replacements but banking on older players being able to carry on.

I also think the next club legend to carry on too long will be Faz and he will be followed by the un-legendary Powell.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:27 pm

I don't agree with that.

I do agree with it and why assume age is irrelevant? A younger player who you would expect to be more flexible might not have been injured or injured as badly as Tommy has been.

He can obviously still play the game at a high level but it’s a gamble as he gets older he can see a season out and it’s not proven that he can sustain the high standard for a full season. It’s more reasonable to assume he won’t be able to do it and the club should be looking to replace him now.

I doubt they will and this won’t be because they think Tommy is exceptional. It will be because, unfortunately, it has become a feature of the current regime they keep players playing too long. They did it with Lockers and Clubb and they are doing it with Tommy. They also don’t appear to be looking for replacements but banking on older players being able to carry on.

I also think the next club legend to carry on too long will be Faz and he will be followed by the un-legendary Powell.
How on earth do you know whether or not the club are looking for replacements?

Do you have knowledge on who our scouts are and what games they are watching and who they’re looking out for specifically?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:27 pm

I don't agree with that.

How on earth do you know whether or not the club are looking for replacements?

Do you have knowledge on who our scouts are and what games they are watching and who they’re looking out for specifically?
Probably going on past performance. We seem to sign good value, available players, regardless of the positions we actually need to strengthen/replace for.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆