Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan squad for Salford

Post by fozzieskem »

Thanks to Jai field a win.

Hate this 3rd game of the Easter period always one that is never good to watch but in the entertaining enough game
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:13 pm Just take the win.
It wasn’t pretty, bad errors and soft defence.
And would we please stop playing shorrocks at 9!
O’Neil was doing alright so why didn’t he play the whole game? You never see Powell being spelled off
So he didn't make Powell look bad? :D
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Proved shorrocks is no hooker play cust there and put field at 6 french at 1 he’s lost on wing
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:06 pm Proved shorrocks is no hooker play cust there and put field at 6 french at 1 he’s lost on wing
Why on earth would you move the 2022 Man of Steel from his best position for a bloke who bombed 3 tries just because you're obsessed with him :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Suzieb wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:06 pm Proved shorrocks is no hooker play cust there and put field at 6 french at 1 he’s lost on wing
For my money Field is a much better fullback than French
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

A win is a win but that was closer than it needed to be. Field’s winning try was a cracker and Channel 4 will be pleased.

Don’t know how they managed to bomb three clear chances including having four players against one for one of them. Some poor passes to give Salford the ball and tries and Salford were allowed to run at the defence with plenty of space.

Thought our kicking game was pretty good Faz and Bateman played well but the team was slow off the mark in defence but perhaps not surprising given the tough schedule.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I thought that was a great game to watch, Let’s face it, we aren’t going to win anything this year, but we can be entertained along the way. There are lots of questions around what our best team short and long term might look like, and I thought we got some interesting clues today. For mine:
1) Field’s passing was alarmingly erratic, which made me really question whether he should be moved to 6 after all: especially as he is so fantastic at 1. I might pull my neck in on the whole Field to 6, French thing and stick with what we’ve got;
2) Thornley isn’t any good, but having a centre at centre does give us a sense of order compared with some of the combinations. I was disappointed not to see Halsall today ahead of Bibby. He may not be better than Bibby at the moment, but I would like to see how good he could get;
3) I think Smith has talent, and he showed some real glimpses today. He has a good running game. Tommy’s tragic injury could be the making of him;
4) it’s too early to conclude one way or another whether O’Neill is the answer, but happily he will a lot of time to show us over the next few weeks. Great pass for Ellis’ try. I suspect Cust is the best 9 we have, but he is doing a fine job at 6, so needs to stay there;
5) I just don’t see it with Partington, purely because he is so small he can’t make any impact; and
6) I know he has some critics but I really enjoy watching Mago play. He takes some stopping, and his offloads are so dangerous he drags even more defenders into tackles.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I just watched the game back, and agree with most of that. And isn't Channel Four's coverage light-years better than Sky? It may not have been a great game, but it was an entertaining one at least, and I'm sure C4 will be pleased. I don't know why people are so sure Cust is a hooker; he is a half. Frankly I'm not sure he is a good enough defender to be a successful 9.
saint

Post by saint »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:13 pm I thought that was a great game to watch, Let’s face it, we aren’t going to win anything this year, but we can be entertained along the way. There are lots of questions around what our best team short and long term might look like, and I thought we got some interesting clues today. For mine:
1) Field’s passing was alarmingly erratic, which made me really question whether he should be moved to 6 after all: especially as he is so fantastic at 1. I might pull my neck in on the whole Field to 6, French thing and stick with what we’ve got;
2) Thornley isn’t any good, but having a centre at centre does give us a sense of order compared with some of the combinations. I was disappointed not to see Halsall today ahead of Bibby. He may not be better than Bibby at the moment, but I would like to see how good he could get;
3) I think Smith has talent, and he showed some real glimpses today. He has a good running game. Tommy’s tragic injury could be the making of him;
4) it’s too early to conclude one way or another whether O’Neill is the answer, but happily he will a lot of time to show us over the next few weeks. Great pass for Ellis’ try. I suspect Cust is the best 9 we have, but he is doing a fine job at 6, so needs to stay there;
5) I just don’t see it with Partington, purely because he is so small he can’t make any impact; and
6) I know he has some critics but I really enjoy watching Mago play. He takes some stopping, and his offloads are so dangerous he drags even more defenders into tackles.
Apart from point 6 - most fans not wearing Cherry and white tinted glasses would agree with you . I’d say Mago is about bang average . I would say French is equally average and seriously overhyped by Wigan fans . Moving Field into the halves would be a disaster as he is only good in open play . Like French ; defence & passing are highly questionable. Lose Field and you would collapse. At the moment it’s working but it’s all very one trick pony .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

This third game of the Easter schedule is always the hardest IMO & you could see that physically & mentally the tiredness in both sides with erratic passing & some bad decisions.

Thankful for the win, but we need to be a lot smarter on Friday. Warrington will mark Field &/or French out of the game if they can.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan