Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
w.thomas

Re: Wigan squad for Salford

Post by w.thomas »

One man team :?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Got to love how Saint pops on the basically put wigan down but is attempting to do it in the guise of a discussion.

Mago bang Average what a load of tripe. He is I no way a finished Article but he is refreshing change.

French is not over hyped. He was untouchable until his injury and has credit In the bank still for most Wigan fans.

Typical arrogant saints fans. Yes you are above the rest at the moment but it will end for you to at some point.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
saint

Post by saint »

Not arrogant - Truth . I’m not putting Wigan down at all . I’m backing up what a Wigan fan stated and extending the debate beyond what was stated .

I’ve seen nothing to question my view of Mago . Offers nothing against a good defence and therefore equates to being average .

Field - I have never rated him ;
Now or before his injury . He is a 100 m sprinter yes , but can’t pass , defence questionable and if he was as good as you have made out in the past he would be in the NRL .

If I’m proven to be wrong , I will be the first to admit it . However I’m very confident everything I have added to discussion is backed by evidence .

No mention of the ref being poor today ?
saint

Post by saint »

Edit - I meant to say French not Field
Graham1

Post by Graham1 »

Mago needs to improve his stamina and play more minutes. Bevan is a good finisher. But defensively nowhere near has good as field that’s why he is in super league. The next 6 matches are away from home and we are going to learn a lot about our team.

Disappointed Halsall didn’t get a game today but think that’s because Peet is trying to decide who to play in the centres in the semi. If we have thornley and bibby there saints will have a field day, as will Warrington next week. Today was just about the 2 points after the Easter games, but was good entertainment value for the neutral. We have a long way to go but at least in Field we have someone exciting and it’s been a while since we have had that.

Just need to carry on improving and with a couple of good signings next season. Who knows?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

saint wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:01 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:13 pm I thought that was a great game to watch, Let’s face it, we aren’t going to win anything this year, but we can be entertained along the way. There are lots of questions around what our best team short and long term might look like, and I thought we got some interesting clues today. For mine:
1) Field’s passing was alarmingly erratic, which made me really question whether he should be moved to 6 after all: especially as he is so fantastic at 1. I might pull my neck in on the whole Field to 6, French thing and stick with what we’ve got;
2) Thornley isn’t any good, but having a centre at centre does give us a sense of order compared with some of the combinations. I was disappointed not to see Halsall today ahead of Bibby. He may not be better than Bibby at the moment, but I would like to see how good he could get;
3) I think Smith has talent, and he showed some real glimpses today. He has a good running game. Tommy’s tragic injury could be the making of him;
4) it’s too early to conclude one way or another whether O’Neill is the answer, but happily he will a lot of time to show us over the next few weeks. Great pass for Ellis’ try. I suspect Cust is the best 9 we have, but he is doing a fine job at 6, so needs to stay there;
5) I just don’t see it with Partington, purely because he is so small he can’t make any impact; and
6) I know he has some critics but I really enjoy watching Mago play. He takes some stopping, and his offloads are so dangerous he drags even more defenders into tackles.
Apart from point 6 - most fans not wearing Cherry and white tinted glasses would agree with you . I’d say Mago is about bang average . I would say French is equally average and seriously overhyped by Wigan fans . Moving Field into the halves would be a disaster as he is only good in open play . Like French ; defence & passing are highly questionable. Lose Field and you would collapse. At the moment it’s working but it’s all very one trick pony .
Quick question, how many tackles has Field missed?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Peet and the players on Wigan tv saying the new combinations in the spine ended up being "clunky". Field's passing was poor and kept Salford in the game. Then again he scored the incredible winning try as well as the first try of the game. That could be one match we got away with.
The passing will improve and when it does the attack with the pace of Field, French and Marshall could be devastating.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:27 pm
Suzieb wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:06 pm Proved shorrocks is no hooker play cust there and put field at 6 french at 1 he’s lost on wing
Why on earth would you move the 2022 Man of Steel from his best position for a bloke who bombed 3 tries just because you're obsessed with him :D
Agreed.

Categorically should not be moving Field from fullback. He’s single handedly winning games or being a key contributor.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:54 pm Peet and the players on Wigan tv saying the new combinations in the spine ended up being "clunky". Field's passing was poor and kept Salford in the game. Then again he scored the incredible winning try as well as the first try of the game. That could be one match we got away with.
The passing will improve and when it does the attack with the pace of Field, French and Marshall could be devastating.
Is Marshall even fast anymore?

Not knocking him as he puts in a shift in our own 20m when needed but he hasn’t looked the same since his injury. Could he related to our style of play though but just an observation he didn’t look the same.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Harry Smith 14 goals out of 14 last 2 matches.