Wigan vs Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
The Yonner

Re: Wigan vs Saints

Post by The Yonner »

It was a terrific performance all round in my book. Fortuitous how the ball sat up for Marshy but wasn't that the laws of probability paying us back for a certain occurrence in2020?

I think we should give praise where it's due for some classical centre play from Bibby for the first try - who knew he had it in him? And also Harry Smith reduced his clanger count to just one - let's hope he achieves consistency now.

I don't think we can claim superiority over saints going forward based on this one performance though. They had more sustained attack over the 80 minutes, but on this occasion we were more effective at converting pressure into points.

So let's rejoice for now!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Thought that Bibby had his best game for us and the combo with Marshall was a major plus. Again, couldn't argue with Smith MoM. Great game and it won't be easy v Hudds, they were superb.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I really enjoyed Harry Smith's tactical kicking all afternoon and I think that Cade Cust is going to be immense for us. He looks a quietly impressive signing and seems to have real authority on the pitch.

And let's plan for the statue of Faz now please!

Everything else is as everyone has said. Can we cut out the silly penalties (although a certain Child J didn't help) please?

No carping but Mago didn't look right when he came on. Rest of the forwards did really well against a heavy-duty pack. Havard is a gem.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

KR15 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 6:54 am
Mike wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:58 am
KR15 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:24 pm Apparently Kristian Woolf said we were very lucky to win. After some of the shocking decisions from the referees, we certainly were. They were offside from the Lomax kick and through pure arrogance and spite, refused to use the video ref. Penalising us for offside but not them, amongst some other shocking calls. Especially the high shot on Marshall. He wasn't even going to blow and only did so because he stayed down ave gut a call presumably from the video ref. What was all that about when Makinson held Bibby back yet gave them head and feed? Yes Kristian. Very lucky indeed.
Apparently. That's a red flag if ever I saw one. This isn't Facebook. Link please.
Red flag??? I didn't realise I had to do Harvard referencing and a bibliography to post :roll:
It's on 'serious about rugby league'.
I've done it for you pal. Don't worry mate - some demand sworn affidavits until they believe whats in front of them.
Saints came back to lead 18-14 until Liam Marshall scored a length of the field interception try to win the game 20-18.

That piece of luck, according to Saints boss Kristian Woolf, eventually proved the difference.

“At the end of the day it came down to one play and you need a bit of luck and the bounce of the ball and that’s what Wigan got.”
So when Liam Marshall intercepted that poor pass it was nothing more than "lucky" (against an injury ravaged smellies)

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/st-helen ... uck-52864/
Back by demand.
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Copied some of my RLFans post here...

Well, I went to a game yesterday for the first time in a while. I'm disabled and was extremely anxious about going. Massive shoutouts have to go to the three fellow Wigan fans who shared a cab from the station with me and got me assistance at the ground when I was about to try and tackle it on my own. Rugby League and its fans are the absolute best.

Also, unbelievable from the Elland Road staff. So helpful and friendly. Surprising in Yorkshire. :D

Game wise I thought bar a 15 minute second half meltdown we were excellent. It's so, so clear what Peet is trying to do here. And it seems to be working. Under Wane we would turn in some baffling performances in the league but when it mattered, win or lose, you knew we'd given our all. It was nice to see that return yesterday.

Also, Farrell's try. Fantastic.
HDS

Post by HDS »

So delighted, cant really add anything to what has been already said. Wonder if Mr Hardaker is wishing he
had stayed at Wigan a bit longer now?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

KR15 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:14 pm
PJC wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:41 pm I cannot believe Suzieb s negativity after such an exciting game. I wonder what she would have written had we lost
She's correct though. Or are we only allowed to comment on obvious weaknesses if we lose?
Ah, the old "Are we only allowed" trope. Who said anything about allowed or not allowed? Equally, are we not allowed to comment on your negativity?
Touche.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Suzieb wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 6:57 pm Do you know anything about rugby,our attack was very poor with shorrocks at dummy half.
I suggest you check out Keptinthedark's posting history. He's one of the most knowledgeable and fair-minded posters on here. And yours???
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Excellent (and rare) report in The Sunday Times. Said Harry Smith was Star Player.

No good posting link because of paywall, but here's a quote:

When Liam Marshall scooped up a loose pass 20 metres from his line and sprinted forwards, there was no stopping his decisive try, as dogged as Tommy Makinson was in chasing him. Harry Smith, an outstanding organiser at scrum half for Wigan, tagged on the winning conversion.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I’ve just read all the posts on this thread and I do agree with most of what has been said RE: Ref, Bateman, hooker, Field etc. And that second half wasn’t good for the most part.

But I think the significance of this win is bigger than how it happened. We as a team are still developing which is great so witness. There are holes and players need to step up a little, but it’s starting to look promising.

I’m enjoying watching us play again though, which for me is the main aspect! Seeing that first try and that we were taking the game to them was brilliant!

In conclusion, we have the ability to play better but the squad has still got to develop and step up to the challenge.