Wigan vs Saints

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Shaun1967

Re: Wigan vs Saints

Post by Shaun1967 »

Keep reading about the fortuitous bounce for Marshall’s try, but not one mention of the ball bouncing up directly into Lomax’s hands for his try?
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I have read all the posts, so I'll have my say for what it's worth.

Saints first, they had three players missing who would have been in the seventeen, but so did we KKP, TL, SP and we lost Zac to had to that. So, where is their injury ravaged team compared to ours.
Wolfe what a smug arrogant sod he is, no class at all, they loose, the other team where lucky. Gobshite!

Wigan next, we are definitely improving I think on the day the halves won the game both were very good Smith in particular. Both Bibby & Marshall on the left had top games, particularly pleasing for Bibby as he does tend to cop some stick on here. Bateman and Field got a bit of flack but I don't know why, after watching the game again I thought Bateman although quiet with the ball had a really strong game in defence pulling off a try saving tackle on Percival. Field was under more pressure from the Saints kicks than at any other time this season, bear in mind the Saints players where offside most of the time in the chase as was highlighted by the Lomax try, the three chasers where all in front of the kicker. Why the ref refused to check for offside only he knows, particularly as they usually check for the most obvious of tries. Notably it wasn't questioned in commentary or by the pundits either.

As someone mentioned quite correctly all the pre match was about super Saints, not much of a reference to the other team. Finally, the luck turned in our direction for a change, They have rode their luck in recent big games, we where due a break. Congratulations Wigan I hope this is the start of better times ahead.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Shaun1967 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:00 pm Keep reading about the fortuitous bounce for Marshall’s try, but not one mention of the ball bouncing up directly into Lomax’s hands for his try?
Must be the same fortunate bounce that allowed Welsby to score that try in the final haha
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

eaststandspy wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:46 pm I have read all the posts, so I'll have my say for what it's worth.

Saints first, they had three players missing who would have been in the seventeen, but so did we KKP, TL, SP and we lost Zac to had to that. So, where is their injury ravaged team compared to ours.
Wolfe what a smug arrogant sod he is, no class at all, they loose, the other team where lucky. Gobshite!

Wigan next, we are definitely improving I think on the day the halves won the game both were very good Smith in particular. Both Bibby & Marshall on the left had top games, particularly pleasing for Bibby as he does tend to cop some stick on here. Bateman and Field got a bit of flack but I don't know why, after watching the game again I thought Bateman although quiet with the ball had a really strong game in defence pulling off a try saving tackle on Percival. Field was under more pressure from the Saints kicks than at any other time this season, bear in mind the Saints players where offside most of the time in the chase as was highlighted by the Lomax try, the three chasers where all in front of the kicker. Why the ref refused to check for offside only he knows, particularly as they usually check for the most obvious of tries. Notably it wasn't questioned in commentary or by the pundits either.

As someone mentioned quite correctly all the pre match was about super Saints, not much of a reference to the other team. Finally, the luck turned in our direction for a change, They have rode their luck in recent big games, we where due a break. Congratulations Wigan I hope this is the start of better times ahead.
Great post 👏🏼👏🏼

I’ve watched this game twice now & looked out for a particular scenario that was pointed out to me in a message.

It involved Bateman & McCarthy Scarsbrook in an altercation early in the second half when LMS called Batty a f88king pike(y), if you can lipread, but also with the referee within hearing distance. Did anyone else pick up on this? Thank you
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Big stick wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:49 pm
Shaun1967 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 12:00 pm Keep reading about the fortuitous bounce for Marshall’s try, but not one mention of the ball bouncing up directly into Lomax’s hands for his try?
Must be the same fortunate bounce that allowed Welsby to score that try in the final haha
That's what I though, having read the quote now. He must agree how one of their GFs was just luck.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was critical of Bateman live, but watching the game back later, that seemed a tad harsh. I think it was mostly about Roby's try for me.

And surely Joe Shorrocks is the new Sam Powell (in more ways than one)? :P
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 4:26 pm We played well enough in the first to get us out of jail
In a nutshell!
Cut out the unforced errors viz. offsides we' win final
culinator

Post by culinator »

I thought it was a great game, im enjoying watching the team under Peet, something i havent been able to say much under Wayne and Lam.

I didnt see much wrong with what we did, Saints kept Field quiet understandably.

Smith is starting to show what he can do when he has options, which is probably why he was struggling before and i admit i was starting to doubt his abilities last season but half backs are only as good as the support and runners they have around them.

My only frustration was with the need for the ref to try and balance the amount of penalties, which was pretty obvious what was happening to me, im not saying we wasnt offside but no more so than they where.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The great part of the team as it stands and id say the big difference between now and the last few years is we have multiple threats

Marshall, Field and French (when fully fit) are all length of the field try capable

Cust is a threat because while he isnt rapid he's stronger than the average halfback and take some stopping, Smith is proving difficult to deal with too.

So teams are now going to struggle as they simple cant shut field down and expect that to dry up the attack
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I have thought for years that if you shut Wamsley down saints can be beaten.

He takes to many defenders, rarely gets put on the floor then always steps over the ball when playing taking out the markers.

We kept Walmsley quiet on Saturday ,(although I imagine saints fans will try and say he had a poor game) which meant they had nowhere near the normal space to play.

Watching the Marshall try again, the can claim it was a lucky bounce but Welsby got to it and Marshall just picked it and went.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.