Not a rumour anymore!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Not a rumour anymore!!

Post by josie andrews »

Huddersfield Giants make move for Wigan Warriors talent

Exclusive: The Giants have made a move to reunite Ian Watson with one of his Grand Final reaching members from his time at Salford Red Devils

Huddersfield Giants have made a move to sign Wigan Warriors outside back Jake Bibby. Rugby League Live understands the West Yorkshire club has held talks with Bibby's representatives with a view to a move in 2023.

Bibby is off-contract at the end of the season with his deal at the DW Stadium up. The 25-year-old signed for the club ahead of the 2020 season and has been a regular throughout his time at the club and was even an ever-present in 2021. He has remained a consistent presence in the side under Matty Peet and performed superbly in their Challenge Cup semi-final victory over St Helens.

However, he is now the target of the Giants, who are coached by Ian Watson, the man who afforded Bibby his first big break at Salford, where they made a Grand Final together in 2019. The Warriors are thought to be keen to retain him but salary cap pressures may work against the club, with Bibby's stock increasing since first arriving at the club. He is likely to command a higher salary than his existing deal and that would then have consequences down the line for Wigan's future recruitment plans heading into next year.

The news brings an interesting sub-plot ahead of the Challenge Cup Final, which will see Bibby go up against his potential suitors on May 28th. He has not been selected for the game between the two clubs this Thursday, however the Giants' interest is not a reason for his absence and he has instead been rested due to the recent hectic schedule, just as a number of his team-mates have too. The likes of Jai Field, John Bateman and Morgan Smithies have also been given the round off to recover as plans for the Final commence.

Bibby has made 50 Super League appearances for Wigan, 115 in total in the competition, and scored 49 tries. Capable of playing centre or wing, he made his Salford debut in 2015 and spent five seasons at the AJ Bell Stadium before his move to Wigan.

The Giants aren't expected to be busy in the recruitment window, with just a small number of additions likely.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... n-23919876
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jaws1

Re: Not a rumour anymore!!

Post by jaws1 »

Heard Saints were in for French.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I can see Bibby moving and good luck to him if that’s what he wants
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 am I can see Bibby moving and good luck to him if that’s what he wants
I hope he doesn’t leave. He gives 100% every game & is rarely injured. He played every minute of every game last season!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jaws1 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:08 am Heard Saints were in for French.
Why would they be in for French when they have the “Golden Child”??
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Solid player but he’s not worth big money.
So if the giants are offering him a good pay rise, Wigan’s hands could be tied.
The downfall of having a salary cap
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

It's the area we need to improve the most so I'd thank him for his services and move on.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Barney841 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 am Solid player but he’s not worth big money.
So if the giants are offering him a good pay rise, Wigan’s hands could be tied.
The downfall of having a salary cap
Even if there wasn’t a salary cap there are limits as to how much the club can afford and what they think a player is worth.

They may have the money available and cap space to match Huddersfield but have chosen not to.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:32 am
fozzieskem wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:20 am I can see Bibby moving and good luck to him if that’s what he wants
I hope he doesn’t leave. He gives 100% every game & is rarely injured. He played every minute of every game last season!
Oh I agree Josie,he’s a sound player one certainly underrated by most on here I don’t think we can underestimate the lure of Ian Watson though,loyal to players who buy into his “process”and to me Bibby is a perfect example of this.

I hope he stays but as I say I can see him moving over there.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Bibby is an interesting one. He's been a regular in the side without ever really being a stand out player. Last season was decent though as he was bagging plenty of tries on the right wing initially and in a disastrous season he was one of our better players through consistency alone.

At centre I can't say I rate him, but I must admit in the Saints game we saw the very first glimpses of him making a play like a natural centre would. The angle of the run around Welsby and the pass to Marshall - that was exactly what you expect from a centre and exactly what Bibby had been so woeful at up to that point.

The frustrating thing would be if Bibby does decide to leave and then we actually see an improvement in his attacking play.

For me this is a case of knowing Bibby's value. If Huddersfield push the price up he might not be worth it. He's definitely not in the irreplaceable category but if we can keep hold of him for a reasonable wage it's probably the right move. If his wage demands go up then probably best to look elsewhere. I like what I've seen of Halsall so hopefully he continues to put himself into contention.