Not a rumour anymore!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Not a rumour anymore!!

Post by Southern Softy »

I think we can do better and if Huddersfield want him, then good luck to him.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Barney841 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 am Solid player but he’s not worth big money.
So if the giants are offering him a good pay rise, Wigan’s hands could be tied.
The downfall of having a salary cap
But that is what the salary cap was designed to do, stop the 'top teams' signing all the best players and thus equalise the playing standards of all the teams, only wait, how many teams have actually won the Grand Final? The Bulls of course are not even in the Superleague of course now.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:20 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 am Solid player but he’s not worth big money.
So if the giants are offering him a good pay rise, Wigan’s hands could be tied.
The downfall of having a salary cap
But that is what the salary cap was designed to do, stop the 'top teams' signing all the best players and thus equalise the playing standards of all the teams, only wait, how many teams have actually won the Grand Final? The Bulls of course are not even in the Superleague of course now.

Yeah I know that but it hasn’t really worked.
It’s still the same teams winning things really
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Surely not I was told despite my opinion that Bibby is rubbish and no other SL team would look at him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

EagleEyePie wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:28 am Bibby is an interesting one. He's been a regular in the side without ever really being a stand out player. Last season was decent though as he was bagging plenty of tries on the right wing initially and in a disastrous season he was one of our better players through consistency alone.

At centre I can't say I rate him, but I must admit in the Saints game we saw the very first glimpses of him making a play like a natural centre would. The angle of the run around Welsby and the pass to Marshall - that was exactly what you expect from a centre and exactly what Bibby had been so woeful at up to that point.

The frustrating thing would be if Bibby does decide to leave and then we actually see an improvement in his attacking play.

For me this is a case of knowing Bibby's value. If Huddersfield push the price up he might not be worth it. He's definitely not in the irreplaceable category but if we can keep hold of him for a reasonable wage it's probably the right move. If his wage demands go up then probably best to look elsewhere. I like what I've seen of Halsall so hopefully he continues to put himself into contention.
I agree with that. Not worth getting into a bidding war over. If the club want to retain him then make him an offer and if the Giants better it, off he goes.

My view is we need better centres than Bibby and Thornley to compete consistently and if Bibby was retained he'd be a squad player. No idea where Watson wants to use him but my guess wold be on the wing.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I agree with the general theme here

All being equal hes a good player to have can cover wing or centre in a competent fashion but probably shouldnt be in the 17 unless theres injuries.

It depends on what he's being offered its not just money hudds maybe offering him a guarenteed start too, he's superleague quality IMO just not sharp end superleague
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I think that we should go for Jake Wardle who is out of contract at Huddersfield who has proven in the past that he is a class centre
pedro

Post by pedro »

Suzieb wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:49 pm I think that we should go for Jake Wardle who is out of contract at Huddersfield who has proven in the past that he is a class centre
hes not out of contract...
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I’m sure he is