Not a rumour anymore!!

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Not a rumour anymore!!

Post by Suzieb »

Good effort pedro
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:20 am
Barney841 wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 7:43 am Solid player but he’s not worth big money.
So if the giants are offering him a good pay rise, Wigan’s hands could be tied.
The downfall of having a salary cap
But that is what the salary cap was designed to do, stop the 'top teams' signing all the best players and thus equalise the playing standards of all the teams, only wait, how many teams have actually won the Grand Final? The Bulls of course are not even in the Superleague of course now.
Actually that wasn't the purpose of the cap.

It was introduced to stop clubs going bust.

The whole "levelling the playing field" argument was suggested later (by the usual suspects).
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

KPP is yet to return and he could play right centre with French as his wingman.
Left side Thornley and Marshall.
That gives us a back three who are flyers and both centres, big men around 6'5".
Halsall to be back up.
I could understand it if the club don't up their present offer to Bibby.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:22 pm KPP is yet to return and he could play right centre with French as his wingman.
That gives us a back three who are flyers and both centres, big men around 6'5".
Halsall to be back up.
But KPP is a second rower! I can see if they keep playing KPP at centre it will be another Jack Hughes scenario IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

With Bibby, one consideration about how far we're willing to go to keep hold of him is the quality of players available to replace him. Looking at the list of Super League players off contract it's not like there's a lot of quality knocking around, and the better ones are around 32 or 33 so are at the age where they will only be short term options and will be much more likely to decline in quality that improve.

Wigan might be willing to take that risk and think that a new 33 year old centre alongside Thornley and Halsall will be enough for us but I'm not sure. We're definitely going to need more than one signing as I'm not sure many of the U19's or reserves are quite ready to step up to Super League level. How much we need to strengthen other positions could also come into it. It's suggested that we need a new half but if Cust and Smith establish themselves as our 6 and 7 by the end of the year then an established half like Lino or Miller could be a big chunk of the cap spent on a player that isn't essential. That's when looking for a player who can cover multiple positions might come into it, like someone who can play both centre and stand off.

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 pm But KPP is a second rower! I can see if they keep playing KPP at centre it will be another Jack Hughes scenario IMO
I think there's definitely a limit on how good he could become as a centre and it would seem to be much lower than his potential as a back rower. He just has everything you'd want from a back row forward. However, he only has to be better than our other options at centre and better than what we're likely to get from elsewhere in order to be the right player for that position. The only thing that matters is what's best for the team. I think his attacking talent has been wasted at centre so far, but barring one big mistake against Castleford his defence has been outstanding (and our defence currently is nowhere near good enough), so it's all about the team dynamic.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I'm Ok with KPP at centre his skill set is completely different to Hughes his off load and passing game are a massive plus. He's also different agility wise. I was really impressed with him defensively the Ca game was another learning curve in the most difficult position defensively for me. Obviously he's a good tackler and mostly dominates even when in the forwards. I could see him developing into that position well both defensively and he will always be a threat ball in hand.
Smith and Cust is another plus they seem comfortable together and offer plenty control and threat. I know you may think I'm mad but depending if Tommy goes again Ratchford may be and ideal back up player. Can cover full back halves centre and the goal kicking if Smith was out. The young forwards have still got development in them but another hard running prop a centre would be my choices going forward.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:46 pm
Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:22 pm KPP is yet to return and he could play right centre with French as his wingman.
Halsall to be back up.
But KPP is a second rower! I can see if they keep playing KPP at centre it will be another Jack Hughes scenario IMO
Or Gene Miles
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Why don't we pretend Bibby is a winger and replace him with Josh Charnley?
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

do they not want powell as well ?
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

lucky 13 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:23 am I'm Ok with KPP at centre his skill set is completely different to Hughes his off load and passing game are a massive plus. He's also different agility wise. I was really impressed with him defensively the Ca game was another learning curve in the most difficult position defensively for me. Obviously he's a good tackler and mostly dominates even when in the forwards. I could see him developing into that position well both defensively and he will always be a threat ball in hand.
Smith and Cust is another plus they seem comfortable together and offer plenty control and threat. I know you may think I'm mad but depending if Tommy goes again Ratchford may be and ideal back up player. Can cover full back halves centre and the goal kicking if Smith was out. The young forwards have still got development in them but another hard running prop a centre would be my choices going forward.
Nicholson has the same skill set.