Recruitment?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Recruitment?

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:07 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:36 pm
medlocke wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Have any of those vastly improved the team?

Is Miski as good as Pat Richards?
Is Thornley as good as George Carmont?
Is Patrick Mago as good Craig Smith?
Is Thingy Ellis as good as Quentin Pongia?

Those are the type of standard of players we should be trying to sign
If you replaced all our players with the best Aussie/New Zealander of all time, wouldn't you have problems with the overseas quota? Not to mention the salary cap. It might be worth signing Ken Gee or Jim Sullivan though - I'll check if they're available . . .
They don't have to be Aussies, some Fijians would be nice as well
On tonight's showing, I'd be more than happy with Tim Lafai.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dreamteam wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:10 pm
jobo wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:42 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:08 pm

https://t.co/OvjAnJDnE4
Interesting this. Terms not offered to Bibby? The story I'm hearing is Huddersfield have upped his wages by a fair bit. Wonder if we have got someone lined up at left centre.
Reading the comments to the article terms not offered meaning the player is leaving so it includes players like bibby who have just been offered a better deal
Unless they have some super duper centre coming I’m gutted that Bibby has not been offered a contract & is leaving for fecking Huddersfield 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:47 pm

Interesting this. Terms not offered to Bibby? The story I'm hearing is Huddersfield have upped his wages by a fair bit. Wonder if we have got someone lined up at left centre.
Reading the comments to the article terms not offered meaning the player is leaving so it includes players like bibby who have just been offered a better deal
Unless they have some super duper centre coming I’m gutted that Bibby has not been offered a contract & is leaving for fecking Huddersfield 🤨
We might even need 2 with the way things are going. If kpp leaves that’s 3 gone in one season. Thornley has had his injuries problems already this year. Frustrating when u watch Salford tonight and they have 3 top quality centres. I’d take any of them
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

But no other SL club would touch Bibby... I've seen it on here multiple times.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

we did but Hudds have virtually doubled our offer, not quite but close enough
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pedro wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 10:42 pm

we did but Hudds have virtually doubled our offer, not quite but close enough
We need to move on, every player has their price. I would be looking at an overseas centre plus Cam Scott at Hull.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 9:47 pm Unless they have some super duper centre coming I’m gutted that Bibby has not been offered a contract & is leaving for fecking Huddersfield 🤨
I think the wording of the off contract list might be misleading. I don't think the club just decided he wasn't going to be re-signed. He'll either have been offered a contract that he turned down, or Huddersfield made an offer very quickly which Wigan were never going to match.

It's all about value though. If Huddersfield offered a huge pay increase it would be madness for Wigan to match it if it was way out of step with what other similar players are getting paid.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We need to be careful with the sheer amount of English players we seem to lose because how do you replace them? Hardaker gone, Bibby going and maybe KPP as well. We’ve no quota spots, so the management of the squad looks iffy again. There is a lack of available English talent of the quality you’d want, so you end up with an inexperienced squad, players who are sub standard or a quota that is chocked full.

KPP surely has to be retained for 2023 given he’s under contract and it’s nigh on impossible to bring a replacement of that quality in, for a similar wage. He did a decent job at centre, so you’d have him, Thornley and Halsall left, meaning you can target just one recruit in that area. He goes and I think we need two.
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

With recruiting players…I’ve never understood why a lot of these hard running, hard to stop centres and forwards and we miss out on these, Mago, huge man who has no real impact, centres that are almost past their sell by date, I’d offer Amy Hardcastle a contract for centre than our current ones at the moment?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

6742hitch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm With recruiting players…I’ve never understood why a lot of these hard running, hard to stop centres and forwards and we miss out on these, Mago, huge man who has no real impact, centres that are almost past their sell by date, I’d offer Amy Hardcastle a contract for centre than our current ones at the moment?
Mago, takes 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) opposition players to stop him......what more do you want from a prop :lol: