Recruitment?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Recruitment?

Post by nathan_rugby »

6742hitch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm With recruiting players…I’ve never understood why a lot of these hard running, hard to stop centres and forwards and we miss out on these, Mago, huge man who has no real impact, centres that are almost past their sell by date, I’d offer Amy Hardcastle a contract for centre than our current ones at the moment?
Like who?
How much are their salaries?
Could we afford them?
Did they want to join us?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 2:11 pm
6742hitch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 1:57 pm With recruiting players…I’ve never understood why a lot of these hard running, hard to stop centres and forwards and we miss out on these, Mago, huge man who has no real impact, centres that are almost past their sell by date, I’d offer Amy Hardcastle a contract for centre than our current ones at the moment?
Mago, takes 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) opposition players to stop him......what more do you want from a prop :lol:
Longer minutes and less drop in intensity after 2 carries.
6742hitch

Post by 6742hitch »

Mago, takes 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) opposition players to stop him......what more do you want from a prop :lol:
He might take 2-4 players to stop him, that’s pretty much the norm with every defensive tackle, at least 2 in the tackle, but when comes into contact 90% of the time he’s walking, nearly all others are gaining post contact meters, bursting through the defensive line. What is your job description of a prop?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

6742hitch wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:54 pm
He might take 2-4 players to stop him, that’s pretty much the norm with every defensive tackle, at least 2 in the tackle, but when comes into contact 90% of the time he’s walking, nearly all others are gaining post contact meters, bursting through the defensive line. What is your job description of a prop?
How's he making the 17 week in week out if "he's walking"? We aren't short of props and if he brings as little as your suggesting, how is his selection justified then?
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I was at the game today and when Mago first came on he was causing them plenty of problems but he then throws two offloads that Hull benefit from and it ruins his spell. I didn’t have a massive problem with the first, it was on and it very nearly comes off but the second was madness.

He’s frustrating no doubt but I think with workhorses like Byrne, Singleton and Smithies in the middle, you can afford to have him as an option to inject from the bench. In a tight one next week, there’s a chance he can turn the game for you and help win it with an offload or by at tracking numbers to him in the middle.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I gave Mago the benefit of the doubt - new competition - new country - time to settle in - new coach etc. etc. but I've kind of given up and now class him in the 'great lump with a big reputation who turns out to be pretty crap' category. You can name countless signings like him, mostly described as 'The Wrecking Ball' who turn out to be more like hedge-strimmers. Frank Paul was the last one we signed and is best forgotten.

We need to lose the idea that this kind of recruitment will change the team and if we are going to the NRL, find a more mobile prop to sign.
As for this season, Mago will continue to be played because we can't leave an expensive Aussie on the bench but he contributes less than a young player looking to build a career. McDonnell comes to mind and there may be others who could do a job.

All that being said, I hope Mago wakes up next Saturday - has a blinder and helps up win the Cup.
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I think the comments about Mago are pretty accurate, for me he gets selected for what he might do rather than what he does do. He is capable of drawing players ang getting a good offload as we have seen with Field following him and benefiting from it. The fact does remain though, is does walk/amble on to the ball far more than he bursts on to it. But I don't believe you can leave him out of the 17, because it could be his day where he produces, hopefully that will be next week.
I think our new signings have been underwhelming to be honest, Cust apart, he may not be a golden boy but he is tough and competitive and usually contributes.
Miski is a bit of a head scratcher, he never plays he is only a backup so what's the point, though he did have a good game in his last appearance.
Thornley has got all the physical attributes to be a destructive centre, he's quick but ineffective most of the time and his defensive qualities for someone of his size leaves a lot be desired. positional play poor, and tackling technique to match.
Ellis so so his best game was his first game back after his long suspension, he was up for it and showed a lot of intent. I think he has fallen off a bit since, he needs to get his mojo back.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Why do we pass the ball to standing players? Why do the majority of our players never run onto the ball with speed & carry defenders with them? Are our big players so light & without strong legs that this happens repeatedly?

We seem to keep reverting back to one man rugby instead of getting the ball out along the line to our speedsters to take the ball up field hopefully to Field, French or Marshall.

Up the middle seems to be how they are playing but our middles aren’t powerful or strong enough to take the ball forward.

I don’t like to criticise players, the team or the coaches but we seem to have lost something just lately & I don’t know what? 🤔🤔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pm Why do we pass the ball to standing players? Why do the majority of our players never run onto the ball with speed & carry defenders with them? Are our big players so light & without strong legs that this happens repeatedly?

We seem to keep reverting back to one man rugby instead of getting the ball out along the line to our speedsters to take the ball up field hopefully to Field, French or Marshall.

Up the middle seems to be how they are playing but our middles aren’t powerful or strong enough to take the ball forward.

I don’t like to criticise players, the team or the coaches but we seem to have lost something just lately & I don’t know what? 🤔🤔
But Josie, rugby league is like boxing. If you attack the body then eventually the arms protecting the head fall giving you a far easier target to hit. The same applies in RL, tire the forwards out and your backs (speedsters) get more room to operate in.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 2:01 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:02 pm Why do we pass the ball to standing players? Why do the majority of our players never run onto the ball with speed & carry defenders with them? Are our big players so light & without strong legs that this happens repeatedly?

But Josie, rugby league is like boxing. If you attack the body then eventually the arms protecting the head fall giving you a far easier target to hit. The same applies in RL, tire the forwards out and your backs (speedsters) get more room to operate in.
But Josie has a point surely,pass to say mago,if he had a head of steam on him would tire them out more surely,giving the ball to a player almost stood still doesn’t get you far.

The last couple of games sadly remind me of the dark days of last season in parts,so much progress has been made the momentum should have been kept going think it shows though this side is far from the finished article,regardless if Wigan win next week but at the start of the Peet era.