Sam Powell wants to see out career with hometown club Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Sam Powell wants to see out career with hometown club Wigan

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:48 pm Why can’t people accept others opinions on Powell?
It doesn’t mean there right, it’s just an opinion. He must be doing something right as many players and coaches praise him. People just need to accept some don’t take to certain players or want something, it’s not a vendetta against Powell other players will be labelled the same way and it’s just the way it is
Looking again at this thread, the posters who criticise Powell have our reasons - a variation on his not being an attacking hooker - and so we criticise him. A lot of his defenders criticise us for doing so. On the basis that we know nothing and the club knows best.

We critics aren’t wrong - even his defenders accept he can’t attack effectively - but we all know he has a job for life, and so we will be watching him for a long time. Which annoys those of us who want to see an entertaining 9. That isn’t disloyalty to the team or the club, or an attack on other posters. But we get a lot of stick for it.

The club has a different view, but we have had a tantalising glimpse of life without him as we beat Saints, and won the Cup, and we have to accept that’s our lot.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:57 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:48 pm Why can’t people accept others opinions on Powell?
It doesn’t mean there right, it’s just an opinion. He must be doing something right as many players and coaches praise him. People just need to accept some don’t take to certain players or want something, it’s not a vendetta against Powell other players will be labelled the same way and it’s just the way it is
Looking again at this thread, the posters who criticise Powell have our reasons - a variation on his not being an attacking hooker - and so we criticise him. A lot of his defenders criticise us for doing so. On the basis that we know nothing and the club knows best.

We critics aren’t wrong - even his defenders accept he can’t attack effectively - but we all know he has a job for life, and so we will be watching him for a long time. Which annoys those of us who want to see an entertaining 9. That isn’t disloyalty to the team or the club, or an attack on other posters. But we get a lot of stick for it.

The club has a different view, but we have had a tantalising glimpse of life without him as we beat Saints, and won the Cup, and we have to accept that’s our lot.
Im sorry but I disagree Exiled the detractors critise the people who defend
Him using the same excuse he can't attack and ignore the whole me have when he's not on O'Neil has been found out in defence alot.

If the anti Powell comments where not so over the top you'd find alot of those that defend him would agree with your points.

A point that seems to be ignores alot as well is we need a hooker that fits Peets and Wigans style be that whatever type it is.

And I'm sorry in my opinion those that scream it's just job for boys are talking out of their backsides. There's plenty of players that have been moved on even in their prime and the ones who are kept add something to the team.

Powell could score a double and have Roby in his back pocket (I know he wont) and the detractors would point to the 1 missed tackle he made in the match.

I'm not a Powell fan, I was a micky mac fan (Wanes favourite player when he was with us) and wasn't happy when Powell replaced him.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Maybe we could Tempt Clarke from Wire after tonight though.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:38 pm Maybe we could Tempt Clarke from Wire after tonight though.
He wouldn’t come, wouldn’t want to be a bench player
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:02 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:38 pm Maybe we could Tempt Clarke from Wire after tonight though.
I could be wrong but isn’t he a marquee?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Arguably Super League’s quickest hooker off the mark in attack and the most hardworking in defence, Daryl Clark's electric bursts from dummy half and 110 per cent effort is a joy to watch, Also has 8 England cap's, 8 times better than Sam then ;) :lol:
pedro

Post by pedro »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:03 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:02 pm
I could be wrong but isn’t he a marquee?
no
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:30 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:48 pm
Im sorry but I disagree Exiled the detractors critise the people who defend
Him using the same excuse he can't attack and ignore the whole me have when he's not on O'Neil has been found out in defence alot.

If the anti Powell comments where not so over the top you'd find alot of those that defend him would agree with your points.

A point that seems to be ignores alot as well is we need a hooker that fits Peets and Wigans style be that whatever type it is.

And I'm sorry in my opinion those that scream it's just job for boys are talking out of their backsides. There's plenty of players that have been moved on even in their prime and the ones who are kept add something to the team.

Powell could score a double and have Roby in his back pocket (I know he wont) and the detractors would point to the 1 missed tackle he made in the match.

I'm not a Powell fan, I was a micky mac fan (Wanes favourite player when he was with us) and wasn't happy when Powell replaced him.
Leaving aside the insult that I am talking out of my backside, which precisely proves my point, that on our side we get stick for having an opinion, were we really found out in defence? Against Saints and Huddersfield we kept them to less than 20 points, whereas on Good Friday Saints not only got more than 20 but kept us to 4. On the basis of numbers, rather than opinions, in the big games, our defence improved with O’Neill there.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

If Clarke came there more chance of winning some silverware than at Wolves where there is no chance the way they are playing
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Your contradicting your self. Why do we have to accept that's our lot. You have said we beat saints won cc. I have not and never will. Our team is capable of beating any sl team and winning cups with or without Powell.