Sam Powell wants to see out career with hometown club Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Flash

Re: Sam Powell wants to see out career with hometown club Wigan

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:21 pm Bring in a proper 9, move Powell to 13 and I'll stop mooning :D
I didn't know mooning was your thing Meds :shock:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:51 am
medlocke wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:21 pm Bring in a proper 9, move Powell to 13 and I'll stop mooning :D
I didn't know mooning was your thing Meds :shock:
Been caught a few times in my younger years :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Powell could score a double and have Roby in his back pocket (I know he wont) and the detractors would point to the 1 missed tackle he made in the match.
This has got to be the worst argument I have ever seen

The bit in brackets is the important bit - that’s like me say well yeah I could go play for Wigan tomorrow and score 10 tries and people would say I’m to fat and old to play

The fact is I won’t score 10 tries and I am to fat and old

Powell is crap - and he is one of the boys - the ones you talk of that moved on weren’t part of the “boys”

Thing is looked better with O’Neil who 1) is a youngster and 2) I’m not convinced will be a top hooker either than we did with Powell

He’s so slow it hurts to watch
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:47 pm
Powell could score a double and have Roby in his back pocket (I know he wont) and the detractors would point to the 1 missed tackle he made in the match.

The bit in brackets is the important bit - that’s like me say well yeah I could go play for Wigan tomorrow and score 10 tries and people would say I’m to fat and old to play

Powell is crap - and he is one of the boys - the ones you talk of that moved on weren’t part of the “boys”

Thing is looked better with O’Neil who 1) is a youngster and 2) I’m not convinced will be a top hooker either than we did with Powell

But O'Neil didn't improve on Powell he didn't offer more going forward and was poorer in defence.

Powell played well today and wasn't slow but I'm sure you'll disagree.

Micky Mac was 100% one of the boys.
Joe Burgess was one of the boys.

The whole boys club at wigan is just opinion spouted as fact because some people don't like certain players and try and justify why they stay without admitting they are wrong.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Everything about Powell is slow...even his ponderous looping passes. His tackling numbers are artificially made higher by his always being 3rd or 4th man in, and he creates nothing at all in attack, nothing...
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:52 pm

But O'Neil didn't improve on Powell he didn't offer more going forward and was poorer in defence.

The whole boys club at wigan is just opinion spouted as fact because some people don't like certain players and try and justify why they stay without admitting they are wrong.
Peet, Lockers, Wane, Powell, those who came through the academy, All part of the Wigan boys brigade those who are not part of it have come from outside the club
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:26 pm Peet, Lockers, Wane, Powell, those who came through the academy, All part of the Wigan boys brigade those who are not part of it have come from outside the club
Sorry to say you’re wrong with Peet coming through the academy at Wigan, because Peet has never played for Wigan’s academy !!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Shevvylad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:57 pm Everything about Powell is slow...even his ponderous looping passes. His tackling numbers are artificially made higher by his always being 3rd or 4th man in, and he creates nothing at all in attack, nothing...
Not having that his defence is spot on and tackles well above his weight. I'm not his biggest fan but not that blinkered to see his good points. Because he does have them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:52 pm

Well we lost to St Helens with Powell and beat them with O'Neil conceded less points and scored more
overall if you look at the games they played this season before today in their 2 spells

when Powell played we scored on avg 24.8 and conceded 15.2
when O'Neil played we scored on avg 25 points and conceded 22

crucially though against the 2 best teams Catalan and Saints Powell has a 0% win O'neil a 100% win

there are other factors obviously like who else is injured in the team etc

so those arent hard facts but while like i said in my post i dont think that O'Neil is going to pull up trees in the future his passing from dummy half was much crisper and quicker than Powells, he didnt run/scoot but generally the play in my eyes was quicker you may disagree but thats opinion i guess not really a way of measuring it.

But for me the truth lies in the fact a 19 yr old with almost no super league experience can be close enough to the established 9 that we have to have a debate about it, i mean if Powell was as good and stable as people make out surely we should have really missed him when we had a complete novice in his role, but we havent have we, in fact in the crunch game we did what we didnt do with him in the team.

When Roby is missing for saints you breathe a sign of relief, same can be said for clarke, leeming and mcshane. You know that the team your facing is less because they arent there - when Powell is missing are we much weaker? does anyone think "oh no we are going in without Powell we cant do it without him?" - no we throw a 19 yrold in who in himself doesnt look like he is going to be a world beater (early i know but i dont really see anything special about him) and he does pretty much the same job
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:41 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:57 pm Everything about Powell is slow...even his ponderous looping passes. His tackling numbers are artificially made higher by his always being 3rd or 4th man in, and he creates nothing at all in attack, nothing...
Not having that his defence is spot on and tackles well above his weight. I'm not his biggest fan but not that blinkered to see his good points. Because he does have them.
Read again what I have written. I didn't say that he couldn't tackle, I said that his stats are misleading.