Wigan squad for Castleford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Wigan squad for Castleford

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I can see the logic in signing Thornley. I don’t know enough about his fitness record, but it might be that he has simply been unlucky with recurring injuries last year. The key issue is how much we paid for him - because if he was much cheaper than Gildart and the money spared went, say, on Cust, then that’s good business on the face of it. I happen to think he’s not great but he’s one less thing to worry about, and in this side we have enough attacking threats elsewhere not to need a line breaking centre. It’s easy to forget that, once he decide he was too good for Super League, Gildart barely put in a performance of note over the last 2 years, so Thornley’s limited contribution is at a similar level even now (and for less money, in all likelihood).
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Watching back again, thought Miski went OK.
Drove us out of trouble a few times and took his try well.

This is also a good sign, its been a good few years since I've saved the games and watched them more than once :)
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Ha! Me too. One thing I could always say about last year was that instantly deleting those games freed up a lot of time...
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:35 pm Watching back again, thought Miski went OK.
Drove us out of trouble a few times and took his try well.

This is also a good sign, its been a good few years since I've saved the games and watched them more than once :)
My semi-final recording has worn out already. You can’t get too many of those wins 😀
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 pm Ha! Me too. One thing I could always say about last year was that instantly deleting those games freed up a lot of time...
Yeh, the disk is filling up quick, last year I sometimes switched the box off during the game in rage!

I must have 100 VHS tapes squirelled away from the glory days :) :geek:
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

We've improved 10 fold on last season, but to be fair to Adrian Lam he didn't have two match winners available in Field and French, however we're playing a more entertaining brand of rugby whatever the team .Still think we can improve our recruitment process and cap management though.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Mickw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:14 am We've improved 10 fold on last season, but to be fair to Adrian Lam he didn't have two match winners available in Field and French, however we're playing a more entertaining brand of rugby whatever the team .Still think we can improve our recruitment process and cap management though.
we didnt, but who's fault was that?

We knew that both were injured (lacking match fitness) and playing Field too soon, meant we were forced to rushing French back, and ultimately both lost to season long injuries. You could argue in hindsight either way about it, but unless Lam was forced to bring them back too soon, then the buck stopped with him.

Completely different this time around, Field has a full off season, and French was given time to get back to fitness before getting 1st team action

From the weekend game i think one thing is evident, that fullback is their best position, so managing that is going to be the challenge. French had a fantastic game at weekend, whilst Field seemed pretty anonymous at 6 for me. I just dont recall him getting his hands on the ball much apart from a couple of little bursts in the 2nd half. i know circumstances dictated the change, but also good to see that Field didnt look comfortable at 6 IMO, so should only be used as a fallback
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Mickw wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:14 am We've improved 10 fold on last season, but to be fair to Adrian Lam he didn't have two match winners available in Field and French, however we're playing a more entertaining brand of rugby whatever the team .Still think we can improve our recruitment process and cap management though.
A team is not 2 players.
As a team We looked lost.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:15 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:24 pm Ha! Me too. One thing I could always say about last year was that instantly deleting those games freed up a lot of time...
Yeh, the disk is filling up quick, last year I sometimes switched the box off during the game in rage!

I've got Betamax and VHS videos. Got one of the 1965 Wigan v Hunslet final (ex Micron Video) which is my prize possession - even though I don't have a video player :D
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:50 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:15 pm

I've got Betamax and VHS videos. Got one of the 1965 Wigan v Hunslet final (ex Micron Video) which is my prize possession - even though I don't have a video player :D
Ray Ashby will sign it for you.