Tonight's game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Tonight's game

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:58 pm Kallum Watkins - TRY......absolutely INCREDIBLE decision! Does fingernail pressure count as grounding?
It did when he played for Leeds 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I think that tonight we all saw the reason why we let burgess go I hope your reading nathan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:40 am I think that tonight we all saw the reason why we let burgess go I hope your reading nathan
Burgess was class early doors.
Doesn’t look the same player now though.
Another victim of the going too early to the NRL and coming back a different players.
saint

Post by saint »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:51 pm
jobo wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:34 pm Baz n Tez need putting out to pasture. Just about the worst sports commentators since Stuart Barnes.
Can’t believe I’m gonna say this… bring back Stevo!!

Hahahaha - it really is painful at times , The constant ‘ Northern ‘ anecdotes . It’s Wells that kills it for me , I simply can’t listen to his ramble and nonsense . I like the way Baz mentioned C4 last night ! Bet he will get a telling off for that 😂

The premier sports commentary for the championships is better that this lot !

On the game , was a pretty poor game for the neutral. You did look a bit jaded first half and Salford were dire with ball in hand . After 5 mins i said to the wife Wigan by 40 . Couldn’t believe it was only 6-0 at half time . Clearly , instructions to play basics , off load and play the flanks was all it took and it still could have been 40 .

The last couple of games shows that Wigan have gears and can raise the game when it’s not quiet got to plan and that’s a big difference on the flat one dimension of last year . vastly improved !

French to Hull? I’d be shocked if that was the case !
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Was hard to keep up with the tackle count at the match……. Salford must have had plenty set restarts unless i cant count properly…… there was no siren to indicate this……. Big massive thanks to all us singinging fans that made it a great day for the grandaughter AGAIN….also got some great pics of her with the players who stayed behind for photos etc……. Great day, great performance…… keep it up lads
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Well deserved praise for our SYLT on TV and in the press over the last 3 games. Without qualifying this one bit, I think many of our other players have gone under the radar as a result.

Marshy has been out of this world. Scoring and assists plus his drives near our own line, yet hardly had a mention. Harry Smith got some deserved praise last night (from Jon Wells, Saint!), should have been man of the match in the final.

Bibby, and most of the forwards only get the odd mention and deserve more credit.
Peet's handling of players who missed out for the final also shows in the performances of Big Willie, Partington and Shorrocks (Willie had 2 assists last night and showed up in defence.)
Last edited by morley pie eater on Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Was busy packing for our trip but thought the performance was a little flat,for want of a better word but if even with a show like that this side can turn it on for a few moments then they can ay like that more often.

Watkins "try" was ridiculous I was nearer the flecking ball but honestly it was to late they'd already scored and that was a shame as I feel it could come down to points difference at seasons end.

Oh while I'm here what the hell does "SYLT"mean? I'm sure it's something obvious but it's escaped me at.presemt.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:59 am Was busy packing for our trip but thought the performance was a little flat,for want of a better word but if even with a show like that this side can turn it on for a few moments then they can ay like that more often.

Watkins "try" was ridiculous I was nearer the flecking ball but honestly it was to late they'd already scored and that was a shame as I feel it could come down to points difference at seasons end.

Oh while I'm here what the hell does "SYLT"mean? I'm sure it's something obvious but it's escaped me at.presemt.
A Brian Noble classic I think - See You Later Twins
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:10 am
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:59 am Was busy packing for our trip but thought the performance was a little flat,for want of a better word but if even with a show like that this side can turn it on for a few moments then they can ay like that more often.

A Brian Noble classic I think - See You Later Twins
Many,many thanks😊
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Can't comment on Bazza and Tezza, listened to Joe Mills (get better soon Joe from the hay fever and allied stuff) and Bilko. Switched off Sky until the match started as I was feeling queasy from the Roby love-in and wondered if Salford and Wigan were playing. Shame they missed out some funeral music as the Huddersfield score kept rising against Leeds though.
More importantly, it may not have been the most disciplined (all those offloads during the first half) but my god, we're an entertaining side these days.
I normally wouldn't go against a hat-trick man for MOM but Marshall did it for me. The miraculous first try; changing wings and still scoring but the measured kick for the assist was just outstanding.
Good to see Shorrocks upping the tempo; thought Isa did really well and really the only downside apart from Byrne maybe getting an injury was the old, old story with Mago.
He just doesn't seem to learn or listen to the coaching staff. Virtually every week he does an incorrect PTB and then later drops the ball under pressure looking for an offload. I have a suspicion that Coper coming may well see him depart and I wouldn't mind that.
Thought the ref did well and both sides just got on with playing rugby. Maybe he should have sinbinned Gerrard but good to keep all players on the field.
Maybe the Cup won't be the only trophy this season.

Oh - and just for balance - Joe Burgess did save two tries for Salford so, he didn't have the worst match.