Your opinion on past players

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
the pieman

Re: Your opinion on past players

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:41 pm Nigel Wright was one of very few players in my "time stands still" category: by that I mean that when he got the ball it was like slow motion. He could look round and pick the right option with all the time on the world, and yet somehow not get tackled. (Bill Francis, another Yorkshire lad, in the early 70s had that same quality.) A tragedy that his career was so disrupted and cut short.

Martin Hall was underrated, under the radar. His contribution was huge but just accepted as normal for him. At least 9/10 every game. He had a 5th tackle kick to touch along the ground, which he used regularly to control the game - so simple, but so effective, yet few other players did it so consistently.
Martin Hall, now there was a proper hooker, he was my 3rd favourite player behind Inga and Edwards back then
we had a good run with hookers - Nicky Kiss, Martin Dermott and Martin Hall
all 3 had different skills / attributes, but all class in their own ways
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Forever Warrior wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:13 pm Terry O’Connor - grafting prop with a good engine and strong defence
Neil Cowie - tough nut who didn’t mind mixing it a bit. Could offload but sometimes tried it in the wrong situation. Sneaked over for a few tries and brought the house down with a drop goal against Bradford when they had a top side. Great club servant.
Martin Hall - hard working hooker. Nothing flashy but got the job done.
Craig Murdoch - struggled for regular first team starts as understudy to Edwards. Scored the greatest try ever scored at Twickenham v Bath
Simon Haughton - as previously commented a long striding, fast second rower witha knack for scoring tries from a good distance out but not one that you would want with you in the trenches.
Scott Quinnell - it took time to get him up to speed in rugby league after his move from Union. He was powerful and had a good turn of speed but just when he looked like he was going to move up to the top level he cleared off back to union.
Tony Mestrov - another grafting, unspectacular prop. A good team player.
Nigel Wright - talented stand off who looked like he could be the real deal but for injuries. Good ball handler and clever thinker. Sadly didn’t get many games out of him. Think he had to retire in his mid 20’s.
Henry Paul - Pure class. Silky runner with ball in hand. Great sidestep. A player like Bevan French or Jay Field who was a joy to watch. Scored plenty of spectacular tries including a memorable one straight from us kicking off against the Saints. Decent goal kicker and could pop over a drop goal on occasions.
Rob Smyth - quick winger and a good finisher who struggled for first team opportunities when we had Jason Robinson and Martin Offiah.
Danny Ellison - another solid winger who wasn’t afraid to put his body on the line to get over the line. Not particularly fast but reliable. He also struggled for first team games.
BJ Mather - Long striding centre. He was quicker than he looked. I never really felt he created that much for his wingers.

Just my memories and opinion, of course.
Above is pretty accurate imo.

Nigel Wright was probably the best player that never developed. Could have been a world beater and a real shame he copped a few injuries.

BJ Mather- imo one of the most overrated players ever. Wouldn't make my team that's for sure. Solid enough player but not the world beater he was often touted as being.

Cowie was a great prop. Totally no nonsense and you got what it said on the tin.

Martin Hall was a very solid hooker. Not a Roby but very dependable.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

My auntie always used to call Simon Haughton the blond bombshell.
BJ Mather had an interesting career, the highlight of which (for me) was his wonderful tie in the World Club Challenge win in Brisbane, arguably our greatest victory. He was a massive Wigan fan, but also had union links, hence his crossing codes.
I can’t think of Cowie without remembering my late father who used to shout “Big Red” every time he played (I never understood the reference but he always seemed to find it funny).
Henry Paul was a great all round player. One of my favourite tries he scored came from a drop out by us, where the opponent let the ball bounce around 30m out and he motored into it and was over in a flash. Having written that, I am sure someone will tell me I completely misremember it.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:41 pm My auntie always used to call Simon Haughton the blond bombshell.
BJ Mather had an interesting career, the highlight of which (for me) was his wonderful tie in the World Club Challenge win in Brisbane, arguably our greatest victory. He was a massive Wigan fan, but also had union links, hence his crossing codes.
I can’t think of Cowie without remembering my late father who used to shout “Big Red” every time he played (I never understood the reference but he always seemed to find it funny).
Henry Paul was a great all round player. One of my favourite tries he scored came from a drop out by us, where the opponent let the ball bounce around 30m out and he motored into it and was over in a flash. Having written that, I am sure someone will tell me I completely misremember it.

Thats how I remember it - outrageous to even attempt it.
pedro

Post by pedro »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:40 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:41 pm My auntie always used to call Simon Haughton the blond bombshell.

was on he half way v saints, he was offside though, I remember him murdering us on a cold wet wednesday night at central park for wakefield
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:30 am

was on he half way v saints, he was offside though, I remember him murdering us on a cold wet wednesday night at central park for wakefield
And it was some try henry scored against us as i remember
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

pedro wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:30 am

Only by about 20 yards :)
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

The ones i saw/remember enough to form an opinion

Terry O Connor - tough as granite (see clash with tallas) very few mistakes dependable

Neil Cowie - Rough prop never shy of a bit of biff i wouldnt say he was a stand out player but he was good to have in the team

Simon Haughton - broke through and was an excellent player then just disappeared think he went to play union?

Henry Paul - excellent player used to spin out of tackles and was really difficult to handle - was never really the same after his bad back injury though
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:53 am The ones i saw/remember enough to form an opinion

Henry Paul - excellent player used to spin out of tackles and was really difficult to handle - was never really the same after his bad back injury though
His little kicks over the top where sublime, many a tasty try scored thanks to that little move, shame we don't see any player utilising that move anymore
boggart

Post by boggart »

Can't let the 'punchbag for Tallis go' without a comment. Tallis let loose a flurry of punches, 9 or so if you believe the Aussie commentators. Terry eventually got 2 or 3 bobby-dazzlers in, and when they were both walking off the field, Tallis's face was in just as bad, if not worse state, than Terry's. Credit where credit's due please. He may have loosened another screw in addition to the one Tallis already had loose. Points to Terry for economy of effort I think. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure you will, but in his final season in Super League, after 10 years worth of hard yards, didn't he lead the yards made stats for a front-rower? A belting player in my view.