Match preview: St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Match preview: St Helens

Post by pearsy »

Won't have to bother about Bibby if hes off to the Giants Thought Singo was stupid with that challenge at that time of the game
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Saints were the best team. We were on top and Bateman tried to make a pass that clearly wasn’t on. Like it, or not, that changed the game. Why we don’t follow Saints example when defending I have no idea it is so simple, lie off side and move in quickly. Referees rarely blow for offside and therefore there is more to be gained from deploying such a tactic than not. I am not having a dig at Saints, I just query our logic of not doing the same.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:39 pm Powell is offside yes but how come.the saints knock on was ignored?
You are correct, the first offence was a knock on - head and feed to Wigan.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

We our own worse enemies today.
Errors and forcing the pass, when there is no need
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:14 pm Saints were the best team. We were on top and Bateman tried to make a pass that clearly wasn’t on. Like it, or not, that changed the game. Why we don’t follow Saints example when defending I have no idea it is so simple, lie off side and move in quickly. Referees rarely blow for offside and therefore there is more to be gained from deploying such a tactic than not. I am not having a dig at Saints, I just query our logic of not doing the same.
Because offside does get called. The problem with running in is it makes space if you even slightly off. Wigan defence was equal to saints defence until we went down to 12.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan1

Post by Wigan1 »

Why did we not use Partington off the bench until the last 2 minutes either? Seems a completely wasted bench spot.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I was wondering about Partington too? Did he actually feature? I seen him shaking hands at FT, didn't recall him playing? :o
Charriots Offiah

doc wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:52 pm Game was over as soon as Singo got his marching orders.
No it wasn’t, we just needed to deal with the situation better. We have them stuck in their own corner and we let Hurrell offload with three men in the tackle. Make that tackle and slow the play down and they are under the pump.
Charriots Offiah

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:18 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:14 pm Saints were the best team. We were on top and Bateman tried to make a pass that clearly wasn’t on. Like it, or not, that changed the game. Why we don’t follow Saints example when defending I have no idea it is so simple, lie off side and move in quickly. Referees rarely blow for offside and therefore there is more to be gained from deploying such a tactic than not. I am not having a dig at Saints, I just query our logic of not doing the same.
Because offside does get called. The problem with running in is it makes space if you even slightly off. Wigan defence was equal to saints defence until we went down to 12.
Well it works for Saints! How many offsides were given today? Saints were continually in front of the referee.
saint

Post by saint »

I think we were lucky today ! Lucky in two ways : 1, our attack was abysmal and struggled to covert any field position ( especially in the first half ) . 2, singleton , in my view , he lost you the game !

First half was a mistake fest but we were completely dominant but couldn’t take our chances were you did .

Second half you were better than us apart from a 5 mins spell .

This was an important game for us in the league leaders contest and after the Semi final but is not going to be the most important game of the year ! I feel we may meet again in a bigger more important contest !

I really wanted this win , not just for the derby bragging rights , but for Woolf and the league leaders which ironically he ain’t won yet and deserves .

I thought you were very good today , did you deserve to win ?????? I honestly can’t say !
On a final note , matty peet and his post match interview proves he is a class act . Superb coach , humble whilst clearly hurting ! Absolute respect to the man . I really like him as a coach , if not this year , he will lead you to success .

For those in Newcastle. , have a safe journey home , your team did you proud !