Match preview: St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
w.thomas

Re: Match preview: St Helens

Post by w.thomas »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:43 pm I think we deserved to lose we weren’t at the races at all for the first 20-30mins came back into it but saints were missing some key players and we should of put them to bed

Same old story really we couldn’t get out our own 20 because our ruck speed is just far too slow - however it finally seemed peet clocked this because in the 2nd half I noticed Powell wasn’t involved until we got out our 20m it was field or Cust at dummy half

Isa and bibby shooting out the line constantly highlights why we need some actual centres at the club - Bateman really had lost it he just doesn’t have whatever he used to have that made him worth 6-12 points a match

There are always stand our players I get that but I hate to think where we would be without field this year
Spot on. I’d also mention French, without them 2 we would be a hell of a lot worse off. To score those brilliant try’s and lose because of a few silly mistakes we don’t have to make is pure rubbish.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Ethan havard made more meters today than singleton Byrne smithies and shorrocks combined. When he and mago went off we well and truly got battered up the middle just like we did before those 2 came on
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

moto748 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:51 pm On offside, I thought when Welsby ran through and flattened Field to much acclaim, he was surely in front of the kicker? Should have been a clearing pen to Wigan. But again, that is something that is seldom penalised.
Correct
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Poor red card decision sezer got a yellow for a worse shot refs spoil the game with inconsistency
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

IMHO i think the team selection was wrong we should have started with the same team as Wakefield Bibby in fpr KPP Cust as sub.Cant knock the team for effort we have come a long way we are not far off beating Saints on a regular basis .Who would have thought at the beginning of the season we could toe to toe with Saints Sigleton sending sending off was harsh.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

jaws1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:41 pm IMHO i think the team selection was wrong we should have started with the same team as Wakefield Bibby in fpr KPP Cust as sub.Cant knock the team for effort we have come a long way we are not far off beating Saints on a regular basis .Who would have thought at the beginning of the season we could toe to toe with Saints Sigleton sending sending off was harsh.

But why are we also ignoring the saints team. We’ve not far off a full 17 there. Saints has no makinson dodd walmsley percival. Perspective is very important. We are still a distance off saints
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Dreamteam wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:46 pm
jaws1 wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:41 pm IMHO i think the team selection was wrong we should have started with the same team as Wakefield Bibby in fpr KPP Cust as sub.Cant knock the team for effort we have come a long way we are not far off beating Saints on a regular basis .Who would have thought at the beginning of the season we could toe to toe with Saints Sigleton sending sending off was harsh.

But why are we also ignoring the saints team. We’ve not far off a full 17 there. Saints has no makinson dodd walmsley percival. Perspective is very important. We are still a distance off saints
KPP/Ellis/Tommy L/Thornley
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:58 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:46 pm

KPP/Ellis/Tommy L/Thornley
Who does Tommy play over ? The players that saints have out are not remotely comparable to ours
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

We have clearly made progress this season. Winning the Challenge Cup was a great bonus and the style of play is so much better but we still have some way to go. Saints had more important players missing than we did and they have the discipline and belief that they can beat us in a tight game. Next time they could beat us again even if we play much better. I don't think we'll topple them this season even if we reach the Grand Final and am now more concerned about next year. We have the chance to gain the upper hand and stay there if we make the correct signings. So long as we don't lose Bevan and we retain KPP for his final year I think the club is going to settle for signing Cooper (a good move) and replacing Bibby. If we sign Cooper, replace Jake (with Gilly?) and keep Tommy for another year will that be enough even with the expected development of some of the younger players? I'm not certain those two signings will be enough and that worries me more than today's defeat.
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

Shocking. The worst Saints have played in ages. Too many playing out their contracts.