Josh McGuire: Warrington Wolves sign Australian forward

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Josh McGuire: Warrington Wolves sign Australian forward

Post by josie andrews »

JOSH McGuire’s move to Warrington Wolves has been confirmed.

The experienced forward – currently with St George Illawarra Dragons – will join The Wire on a two-year deal for the 2023 and 2024 campaigns.

McGuire, who has played at prop, second row and loose forward during a near 300-game NRL and representative career, joins the likes of Paul Vaughan, Sam Kasiano and Gil Dudson as new additions to the pack for next year.

The 32-year-old’s long career has seen him picked 14 times by Queensland in the State of Origin arena while internationally, he has been capped by both Australia and Samoa.

Now, he is preparing for life on the other side of the world and head coach Daryl Powell is looking forward to having McGuire as part of his squad.

“Josh is a tough, aggressive forward and I see a lot of strong leadership in his game,” he said.

“From my conversations with him, he’s very passionate about coming over here for the right reasons.

“He’s had a fantastic career. He’s an Australian international who has played at the highest level.

“We want a big, tough pack that can go out there and dominate every other pack in the competition, which is what I believe we’ve put in place for next season with our recruitment.”

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/ne ... n-forward/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Josh McGuire: Warrington Wolves sign Australian forward

Post by josie andrews »

Josh McGuire excited for Warrington Wolves move

JOSH McGuire believes Warrington Wolves can “do something special” as he prepares to join the club.

The 32-year-old forward – vastly experienced in the representative arena with Queensland, Australia and Samoa – was confirmed as The Wire’s fourth new addition for 2023 yesterday, Wednesday.

Following an NRL career that has seen him play more than 250 times for Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys and current club St George Illawarra Dragons, he is preparing himself for life on the other side of the world.

A self-confessed “footy nut,” McGuire – noted for his rugged aggression – believes Super League will suit his style of play.

“The opportunity to come over and play for Warrington is one I’m really excited about.

“It’s always been in the back of my mind to come over and play in this part of the world during my career.

“I’m a huge footy nut – I’ve been watching Super League for a long time and I’m a big fan of the English game. I think it can really suit me.

“I’m looking forward to getting over, wearing the primrose and blue and doing something special with this group.

“With the new additions, the pack that’s building there and the young guys coming through I’m very excited to be part of the squad for next year.”

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/sp ... lves-move/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

I thought this happened a while back
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

He must be cheap to get under Warrington’s salary cap.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:24 pm He must be cheap to get under Warrington’s salary cap.
You know that the wolves accountant can work miracles
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

On paper, i think they'll have quite an impressive and experienced front row next season.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:07 pm On paper, i think they'll have quite an impressive and experienced front row next season.
But still a poor coach on paper
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

“We want a big, tough pack that can go out there and dominate every other pack in the competition, which is what I believe we’ve put in place for next season with our recruitment.”
If this comment isn't used as motivation by every team next season then there's something wrong

From the forwards they have I'm expecting wire to have a "reserved" spot on the bench at the disciplinary panel

Let's see what happens if this is Powell's approach next season ie smash 'em down the middle
Back by demand.