Wigan squad for Leeds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan squad for Leeds

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:30 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm There are a couple of key differences between us and Saints and maybe saints and the rest of the league which is why they are dominating IMO

the main one is recruitment - im not on about signing the best players here im on about they are proper about their recruitment they always ensure that they have players to match the positions and are good in their positions for the way saints play

They also dont stand on sentiment a key feature of them moving forward after KFC - lussick has been brought in at least 1-2 seasons in advance of Roby leaving to ensure its seemless. Farges was sent packing to make way for dodd likewise coote for welsby. They dont stockpile a position and the club comes first - like if Amor had been a wigan player we would of probably given him 2 years and sent bachelor away.

Wigan have automatic picks which is suicide for any top club, you look at the top clubs and i mean dominant clubs players are never given automatic starts - City of today or Utd of old in football if someone could do it better doesnt matter who you are or what youve done youre out, its sport not look after my mates

Wigan have too many passengers nd whats worse a lot of them are in the automatic picks and its fine against the sub standard league for 90% of time but in big crunch matches it will catch you out
I'm sorry but some of this is rewriting history to fit a narrative.

Saints wanted to keep both Fages and Coote but couldn't because of salary cap issues.

I also don't agree that saints recruitment is so amazing compared to everyone else's they have had a large group of players that have been at the club for years, this has a major impact on a squad and is something hopefully we will have going forward.

Be interesting to see how they go for a full season without Roby as he is as talismanic for saints as lockers was for us.

Even Peet as said we are a work in progress we have had possible 3 bad games all season and have a challenge cup to show for it.
Saints obviously seen the potential with Dodds and welsby, that’s why they could let them go.
They can use their salary cap elsewhere then
https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/sport/r ... kr-5610349
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
saint

Post by saint »

It’s tough to take when you have a performance like that out of the Blue however, it can work to your advantage! A little complacency or taking your finger off the pulse can lead to this ! A lesson learnt . What is important is how you respond .

When your on form and hit some turbulence it exaggerates the the negativities the key focus is get back to stability !
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

saint wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:14 pm It’s tough to take when you have a performance like that out of the Blue however, it can work to your advantage! A little complacency or taking your finger off the pulse can lead to this ! A lesson learnt . What is important is how you respond .

When your on form and hit some turbulence it exaggerates the the negativities the key focus is get back to stability !
Think you're right while it isn't fun to watch a good pants down caning can work wonders to steady the eye and minds of players.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

ian.birchall wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:55 am
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm Well that was utter garbage. No centres and no idea in defence.

As to Isa and Bibby, time to look for alternatives. How long before Thornley is fit? He can’t be any worse than those two.
DaveO, I think that Peet said in one of his bits on Wigantv that Thornleys injury was worse than they thought so that doesn't sound as if he will be coming back anytime soon but no one can be thinking that Thornley at centre will improve our defence surely?
Well Isa and Bibby shoot out of the line and often leave the winger exposed. It’s a glaring problem in the team.

I read the long post about Saints recruitment being better then ours and to,be honest I have not idea about how they go about it but one thing is certain, Wigan have for years had makeshift centres (or at least one). I remember when Jacj Hughes was played there and it’s as if since then the club thinks any 2nd row can play there.

I was gobsmacked when the club went for Thornley and was not in favour but is he really worse than Isa as a centre?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:13 pm
ian.birchall wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:55 am
DaveO wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:25 pm Well that was utter garbage. No centres and no idea in defence.

As to Isa and Bibby, time to look for alternatives. How long before Thornley is fit? He can’t be any worse than those two.
DaveO, I think that Peet said in one of his bits on Wigantv that Thornleys injury was worse than they thought so that doesn't sound as if he will be coming back anytime soon but no one can be thinking that Thornley at centre will improve our defence surely?
Well Isa and Bibby shoot out of the line and often leave the winger exposed. It’s a glaring problem in the team.

I read the long post about Saints recruitment being better then ours and to,be honest I have not idea about how they go about it but one thing is certain, Wigan have for years had makeshift centres (or at least one). I remember when Jacj Hughes was played there and it’s as if since then the club thinks any 2nd row can play there.

I was gobsmacked when the club went for Thornley and was not in favour but is he really worse than Isa as a centre?
I was willing to give Thornley the benefit of the doubt but he’s been a waste of time really,not sure what the thought process was with bringing him back..again
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:46 pm There are a couple of key differences between us and Saints and maybe saints and the rest of the league which is why they are dominating IMO

the main one is recruitment - im not on about signing the best players here im on about they are proper about their recruitment they always ensure that they have players to match the positions and are good in their positions for the way saints play

They also dont stand on sentiment a key feature of them moving forward after KFC - lussick has been brought in at least 1-2 seasons in advance of Roby leaving to ensure its seemless. Farges was sent packing to make way for dodd likewise coote for welsby. They dont stockpile a position and the club comes first - like if Amor had been a wigan player we would of probably given him 2 years and sent bachelor away.

Wigan have automatic picks which is suicide for any top club, you look at the top clubs and i mean dominant clubs players are never given automatic starts - City of today or Utd of old in football if someone could do it better doesnt matter who you are or what youve done youre out, its sport not look after my mates

Wigan have too many passengers nd whats worse a lot of them are in the automatic picks and its fine against the sub standard league for 90% of time but in big crunch matches it will catch you out
Good points raised, they are better at finding players at championship level (Warmsley, Bachelor), finding players in Wigan (Makinson, Welsby), overseas signings (Paasi, Nqama, Sironen) and succession planning (Dodd, Coote).
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Good points raised, they are better at finding players at championship level (Warmsley, Bachelor), finding players in Wigan (Makinson, Welsby), overseas signings (Paasi, Nqama, Sironen) and succession planning (Dodd, Coote).
Course they are... Foster, bringing matty Smith back (I liked Smith for us.but he was at the back end of his career when he resigned for saints), swift, Richardson. My point being they have had just asany average to poor players flattering to deceive we just don't have a vested interested in theirs compared to pulling ours apart.

And they didn't succession plan. If they had the cap space to keep coote he would still be there.

Blood and sand yes they are currently the form team of superleague and have been for a few years but so where we at one point.

Call me a happy clapper or whatever but even with all these insurmountable issues with players we apperently have, we are still the only team with silverware currently this year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:02 pm
widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:45 pm

Course they are... Foster, bringing matty Smith back (I liked Smith for us.but he was at the back end of his career when he resigned for saints), swift, Richardson. My point being they have had just asany average to poor players flattering to deceive we just don't have a vested interested in theirs compared to pulling ours apart.

And they didn't succession plan. If they had the cap space to keep coote he would still be there.

Blood and sand yes they are currently the form team of superleague and have been for a few years but so where we at one point.

Call me a happy clapper or whatever but even with all these insurmountable issues with players we apperently have, we are still the only team with silverware currently this year.
I don't think you are a happy clapper.

Disagree, they are ahead and by some margin, if its just luck then all we need do is wait?
Not saying I have the answers (or I'd be head coach :) ).
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

"Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring!"

Abysmal performance, but Peet's comments afterwards were spot on. Along the lines of "Saints may lose the odd game, bit they never lose for lack of intensity/energy/commitment." It's a lesson we need to learn, and we will learn it.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:28 pm "Don't panic, Captain Mainwaring!"

Abysmal performance, but Peet's comments afterwards were spot on. Along the lines of "Saints may lose the odd game, bit they never lose for lack of intensity/energy/commitment." It's a lesson we need to learn, and we will learn it.
Which is why a 42 point thrashing isn’t just a “bad day at the office” I keep seeing all over various forums. If Peet recognises that and has said it as diplomatically as he can then fair do’s.