Moderating this site

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Moderating this site

Post by DaveO »

Mike wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:39 pm Anyone want to volunteer to be a mod? There's basically only josie doing this at the moment.
Oi! That’s not true. I read all the posts and approve or not, posts from new posters. I just have a high tolerance to “banter” the lack of which completely ruined RlFans forum which was moderated down to a clique.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:27 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:39 pm Anyone want to volunteer to be a mod? There's basically only josie doing this at the moment.
Oi! That’s not true. I read all the posts and approve or not, posts from new posters. I just have a high tolerance to “banter” the lack of which completely ruined RlFans forum which was moderated down to a clique.
That Wigan Leeds Andy fella destroyed the place, nothing left now but an arrogant clique bar a few
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:48 pm
That Wigan Leeds Andy fella destroyed the place, nothing left now but an arrogant clique bar a few
Glad someone else recognises the root cause.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Modding is not an easy task. I used to do it for a pretty large forum, in the "early" days of the internet from around 1998 onwards. Truth be told it was completely new to us then and we hadn't got a clue. The numbers "online" were very small, only those who had an interest in IT. The fact we were paying around 2.5p/min for access was also a factor!

Over the years it became harder and harder as more people got access. What made it worse was all the legal action that was threatened. Something that we never even considered at launch. I "retired" around 2005, leaving it to those who understood the legalities better.

Still, it's difficult not to read forums without having a view.

FWIW I think this forum is run pretty well on the whole.

Funnily enough I did have a look at RLfans a few years back, and in all honesty the guy/girl mentioned above is very poor imo- seems to be on an ego trip on a forum with a very small reach. But hey that's their issue.
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

I agree regarding this site being run well.

i do not post often because i can be regarded as too forward by some sections of society and this has always mostly been regarded as abrasive. albeit i believe it to now be more abrasive than ever thanks to the development of some movements that seem to thrive on policing others.

i hope this site remains as it has, keeping what it has without succumbing. i would offer to help out but my technical abilities are quite limited
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I have offered my expert services again, but looks like it won't happen again :|
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:58 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:49 pm Surely everything resolves around common sense, check to see if post's exist before creating new ones, use references where appropriate and express opinions wisely?

For me, the biggest issues are personality clashes (yes on a forum :lol: ).
I know and i just dont get it…… im very opinionated but i respect others opinions even if i know they are wrong
Agree this post opinions are what forums or about when factual or honest belief. Your doing a grand job Josie but you do yourself an injustice by your choice fo adjectives in your obviously frustrated understandable posted rant 👍🏾
pedro

Post by pedro »

your still there :lol:
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:07 pm I have offered my expert services again, but looks like it won't happen again :|
If you got the gig it would be like having three new mods dependent on your memory for passwords!👍🤣
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:59 pm

your still there :lol:
I can say the things on there that I don't want to on here, out of respect for the majority of members on here