Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Poor decision it is obvious that those two officials do not know the rules! It makes a laughing stock out of rugby league. Either let referees make a decision or let the VR review every try, as in Australia. We need to adopt practices that are consistent not award (or not award) tries on a whim.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Whether the outcome of the match would have been any different is irrelevant in this case. Probably it wouldn't as we weren't at the races last week. I'm not even sure the VR system needs changing as a result of this.

The problem is that the decision went up as a try. Wrong. The VR, with plenty of time to study the footage and apply the rules, concluded try. Wrong. Even the Sky commentators were unanimous in saying no try!!

This was such a bad decision by the two officials (and presumably the two linesmen didn't offer any help) that they should be stood down for this weeks games at least.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:04 pm Whether the outcome of the match would have been any different is irrelevant in this case. Probably it wouldn't as we weren't at the races last week. I'm not even sure the VR system needs changing as a result of this.

The problem is that the decision went up as a try. Wrong. The VR, with plenty of time to study the footage and apply the rules, concluded try. Wrong. Even the Sky commentators were unanimous in saying no try!!

This was such a bad decision by the two officials (and presumably the two linesmen didn't offer any help) that they should be stood down for this weeks games at least.
What do touch judges do?
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

In super league I see that Mr Child appears to be having this week off, and Mr Moore is flag waving at Salford...........whilst both are refereeing at Championship level this week -is that sufficient punishment for last weeks debacle or does it show that the 'pool' is not big enough?
Just hope that the video ref at our game (T Grant) is either not involved too much, or performs somewhat better than the last time that we had the misfortune to have him in the middle..........
The booze hound

Post by The booze hound »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:12 pm
Fan4Fifty wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:04 pm Whether the outcome of the match would have been any different is irrelevant in this case. Probably it wouldn't as we weren't at the races last week. I'm not even sure the VR system needs changing as a result of this.

What do touch judges do?
Judge the touch line, unless as in most cases they are not sure and ask the referee to ask the video referee.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wouldn’t of changed the outcome of the game, we were awful on the night.
These two officials should be dropped for the foreseeable and if they aren’t it just shows how crap and incompetent the RFL are
EDINBURGH-WARRIOR

Post by EDINBURGH-WARRIOR »

The continued bashing of referee's is doing nobody any favours (IMO) . Do they make mistakes YES ! . Do they deliberately make mistakes NO ! (IMO) . Do they go out to deliberately screw over Wigan every week I don't think for one minute they do . Wigan were rank bad awful last week but they didn't go out with a plan to be that bad it was a bad night at the office we all have them . Just as Mr Peet said we were very poor , identify the problems we had try to rectify them and move on . Same for the referee's.
Every week when the next games referee is announced there are howl's of derision about how bad this ref is . What's the point without them the games gone.

EW
2002 and EW is hooked
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:46 am The continued bashing of referee's is doing nobody any favours (IMO) . Do they make mistakes YES ! . Do they deliberately make mistakes NO ! (IMO) . Do they go out to deliberately screw over Wigan every week I don't think for one minute they do . Wigan were rank bad awful last week but they didn't go out with a plan to be that bad it was a bad night at the office we all have them . Just as Mr Peet said we were very poor , identify the problems we had try to rectify them and move on . Same for the referee's.
Every week when the next games referee is announced there are howl's of derision about how bad this ref is . What's the point without them the games gone.

EW
Fair points EW, but at the same time Matty Peet (all other coaches) can make a decision to drop player X if they make mistakes / perform poorly. He may choose not to but you will see players dropped for performance.

where the refs appear to be exempt, is that they appear to continually make mistakes, but get the gig the following week. I appreciate that they have a split second to make a judgement call, and it isnt easy as i have refereed Sunday league football previously. However IMO, the pool of refs need to be made bigger, so that in instances like the one at weekend (i would lay the issue more with the VR), that action can be taken. I can accept the on field ref getting it wrong, but there is no reason why the VR should make a mistake with all the angles / footage they have available. He could probably have even googled the rules :) :) as it seemed everyone bar the ref and VR knew them :) :)
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

EDINBURGH-WARRIOR wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:46 am The continued bashing of referee's is doing nobody any favours (IMO) . Do they make mistakes YES ! . Do they deliberately make mistakes NO ! (IMO) . Do they go out to deliberately screw over Wigan every week I don't think for one minute they do . Wigan were rank bad awful last week but they didn't go out with a plan to be that bad it was a bad night at the office we all have them . Just as Mr Peet said we were very poor , identify the problems we had try to rectify them and move on . Same for the referee's.

EW
I do agree with that EW.
But to give try when diving through another players legs(obstructing the defence) is inexcusable