Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by josie andrews »

Great grandad Harry ball wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:08 pm In super league I see that Mr Child appears to be having this week off, and Mr Moore is flag waving at Salford...........whilst both are refereeing at Championship level this week -is that sufficient punishment for last weeks debacle or does it show that the 'pool' is not big enough?
Just hope that the video ref at our game (T Grant) is either not involved too much, or performs somewhat better than the last time that we had the misfortune to have him in the middle..........
They are both refereeing in the championship this week.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
moto748

Re: Referees boss Steve Ganson admits decisive moment in Leeds Rhinos’ win over Wigan Warriors was ‘incorrect’

Post by moto748 »

I share EW's exasperation with the howls of complaint when the ref is named each week, and as for the people who seem to believe that refs all hate Wigan...

BUT, refs and VR apparently not knowing the laws of the game, that is a different matter. Such behaviour should certainly be sanctioned.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mine is more a dislike of the way certain referees officiate the games.

I’m friends with quite a few referees btw
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

The Newman try wasn't the only mistake.

Moore penalised Bevan for a spear tackle on (I think) Myler. Normally that would be an immediate nomination for the disciplinary comm. No mention which proves it wasn't a spear tackle and Moore messed up yet again.
There was a penalty given against Shorrocks for hitting the passer after the ball had gone. Again, a certainty for the Disc Comm but no mention. Again it was obvious that it wasn't a penalty.

Moore's whole performance was an utter disgrace. Hope he can reflect on his errors and the obvious bias in scoring opportunities his mistakes made.

I also hope Ganson will see the result of sending a weak referee to run a game at Leeds.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Mr Moore did have a stinker - I guess we can all agree with that (possibly not from East of the Pennines). Bevan's 'tip-tackle' which was nothing of the sort was the final lousy decision in the match.

Despite being the first to complain often about referees, I do like some of them but it's guaranteed that others will immediately call them the worst officials ever.

I like Chris Kendall in matches because he is obviously in charge and the players, after trying it on at the start, tend to settle down and get on with it. His matches are played at a faster pace because he stops the nonsense at the PTB. I also quite like Ben Thaler - on the pitch, that is - never as a Video Ref!

It is noticeable that referees who are pretty good when on the way up either become a bit prima-donnaish when they're at the top or are 'got at' by those in overall control. Going back a bit, Ian Smith was excellent until he became a top ref and even the dreaded Phil Bentham was a decent ref when he started but they became nightmares when they got all the top matches.

James Child, on the other hand, has always been a poor ref and has not improved. Steve Ganson was the same with the added bonus of believing the crowd had come to see him and not the players. Time will see whether the new lads like Smith, Grant and Griffiths will get better. I hope so - we need better refereeing in our game.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:21 am
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 am Video Refs can and do cancel the onfield "I have a try" call. What we have here is something a bit more serious where two top referees (allegedly) simply don't know the law.
Yes they do & can…. Sometimes! But how often do you see it? It’s a stupid rule & simply just a waste of time. Get rid of it IMO

Why can’t the ref just say will you check this please & if the VR can’t decide it should then go back to the on field ref IMHO!!
Isn't this what is already in place at the moment only the ref makes his 'decision' before passing it on to the VR, if the VR can't see any reason to overturn it then it sticks with the refs initial call, this should speed things up rather than going back the the ref for him to then make a call.

An alternative would be for the screen to play the different angles and the onfiled ref make the decision from the review, rather than having another ref look at it
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:58 am Video Refs can and do cancel the onfield "I have a try" call. What we have here is something a bit more serious where two top referees (allegedly) simply don't know the law.
Yes they do & can…. Sometimes! But how often do you see it? It’s a stupid rule & simply just a waste of time. Get rid of it IMO

Why can’t the ref just say will you check this please & if the VR can’t decide it should then go back to the on field ref IMHO!!
Isn't this what is already in place at the moment only the ref makes his 'decision' before passing it on to the VR, if the VR can't see any reason to overturn it then it sticks with the refs initial call, this should speed things up rather than going back the the ref for him to then make a call.

An alternative would be for the screen to play the different angles and the onfiled ref make the decision from the review, rather than having another ref look at it
It seems to me that there is too much weight given to the on-field decision as it is. The VR has to find conclsive evidence to overturn the on-field decision.
Try, yes or no? That's what I would like the question to be.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Richymac wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:03 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:57 pm

It seems to me that there is too much weight given to the on-field decision as it is. The VR has to find conclsive evidence to overturn the on-field decision.
Try, yes or no? That's what I would like the question to be.
But what if it is not conclusive evidence either way i.e. they VR cant actually see the ball due to players obstructing the view of the camera, the ref may have been in a position different to a camera angle and he thought it appeared to touch the ground but wasn't 100% sure so sent it up for review, if the cameras are not positioned correctly then it may appear even more inconclusive, but the ref may have had the best angle in the first instance but it all happened so fast he couldnt be 100% sure, the ref and VR would be at conflict.
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I should have been more clear. Try, yes or no? And if it’s inconclusive then let the on field ref call it.

There’s just too much discrepancy as it is. I’ve seen numerous tries that shouldn’t stand be allowed because the ref gave try on field. I would argue the one last week through the legs if it had gone up as no try would have remained no try.

I would be interested to see how often a try/no-try is overturned by the video ref.

Failing all this just go the Union route and ask if there’s any reason not to award the try and let the referee and video ref discuss together over the earpieces.
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

If two referees don't know the basic rules then the procedures are irrelevant.