ARE WE WORRIED

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: ARE WE WORRIED

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Personally, I think Harry Smith has come on leaps and bounds in his game management and in play kicking and execution.

As for the middles, I thought the usual suspects did their jobs? If we didn't have a game a plan and still won convincingly, is it a concern?

Regardless of Hull KR's injuries and those who believe we rely on Field and French......well it is what it is. As someone else alluded to, its about getting it right come the playoffs and I confidently believe we will finish 2nd and put in a superb effort in the playoffs.

Surely what was important was that we won after the Leeds display?
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I think one of the issues we have is moving players round for no reason, we have plenty of depth in the pack without having to swap players not only for each match, but during it. At the start of the season, Isa seemed to be struggling to get into the first team, however now he seems to get a game, but he's not sure where. Last night he plays at second row as Bateman is out, however we have just released 2 players as we couldn't give them a game. Its the same with loose forward, who is our number 1, its either Smithies, Shorrocks, Partington, Ellis and now i think Cooper might get a go. We were so much in control when you knew it would be Lockers, all this swapping for me is the reason Shorrocks hasn't kicked on in the pack.

Last night showed to me KPP isn't a centre, but Halsall is. But next week it will be 2 of KPP, Isa or Bibby,

and as for saying where would we be without Field & French, well that's like asking where Liverpool would be without Van Dijk and Salah or City without De Bruyne and Aguero. We have them and if we didn't we would still have another winger and fullback. Nobody knows who as we have Field and French, but i bet one would have been Dufty, and the other probably Hardaker.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

First Try Tickle wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:28 pm I think one of the issues we have is moving players round for no reason, we have plenty of depth in the pack without having to swap players not only for each match, but during it. At the start of the season, Isa seemed to be struggling to get into the first team, however now he seems to get a game, but he's not sure where. Last night he plays at second row as Bateman is out, however we have just released 2 players as we couldn't give them a game. Its the same with loose forward, who is our number 1, its either Smithies, Shorrocks, Partington, Ellis and now i think Cooper might get a go. We were so much in control when you knew it would be Lockers, all this swapping for me is the reason Shorrocks hasn't kicked on in the pack.

Last night showed to me KPP isn't a centre, but Halsall is. But next week it will be 2 of KPP, Isa or Bibby,

and as for saying where would we be without Field & French, well that's like asking where Liverpool would be without Van Dijk and Salah or City without De Bruyne and Aguero. We have them and if we didn't we would still have another winger and fullback. Nobody knows who as we have Field and French, but i bet one would have been Dufty, and the other probably Hardaker.
I’d sooner have KPP at centre than Isa.

Hardaker, according to rumours on social media, was disrespecting Wigan & our fans last week after the game v Leeds. Apparently there was/were Wigan fans in the in corporate at Leeds & heard it all!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I feel that kpp and halsall did well at centre no flying in we looked solid I would percivere with these 2
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm I feel that kpp and halsall did well at centre no flying in we looked solid I would percivere with these 2
So would I. The only other player I would consider is Thornley.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:24 pm I feel that kpp and halsall did well at centre no flying in we looked solid I would percivere with these 2
Halsall is a fantastic centre & KPP could become an exceptional centre too with his size & offloads.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I thought KPP's off loads were top-drawer and just what we need. Mago's are just shovelled out and tend not to see yards gained. Thought Halsall had a fairly quiet game but he must be persevered with .
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My view is that we are still a work-in-progress. If we finish 2nd and get to the GF, that will be fantastic development in one year - too much to have expected at the start of this season with p a new, inexperienced coaching team.

Yes, a big part of the difference has been the see-you-later twins, but Peet's influence (plus Briers' and Lockers') is the major factor.

Harry Smith must have been close to being destroyed last year. They way Peet has steadily brought him on and built his confidence, is superb. Many fans have been calling for bigger props - we've got them. Signing Cooper for a season or two, shows that we are serious about giving the likes of Byrne, Havard, Smithies and Partington the chance to develop, but with older heads to guide them.

By the start of next year there could be one or two changes of players, plus a year's experience for the coaches. Things like the lapse against Leeds and the second 20 minutes against Hull KR, should fade, and we'll be ready to challenge Saints as equals (assuming they can maintain their form!)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I think in all honesty wigan have always relied on individuals to win games for some time….. we are a structured team with onlya few allowed to express themselves……. This is why players like powell and isa are vital as they do the boring stuff that doesnt get the crowd excited……. I only saw two coaches that got us slightly away from this and that was maguire and lowe……once cust and faz gwt back too form , along with battys reurn( and possibly tommy) im sure we will be fine
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:11 pm I think in all honesty wigan have always relied on individuals to win games for some time….. we are a structured team with onlya few allowed to express themselves……. This is why players like powell and isa are vital as they do the boring stuff that doesnt get the crowd excited……. I only saw two coaches that got us slightly away from this and that was maguire and lowe……once cust and faz gwt back too form , along with battys reurn( and possibly tommy) im sure we will be fine
Maguire was the king of structure........
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.