Cust at hooker

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Cust at hooker

Post by Barney841 »

After tonight I think we should look at trying him there in the other games.
The quicker pass from the PTB seem to give the forwards that extra step going forward.
And if people are worried about missing Powells defence you can put Tommy in the half’s with Smith. Tommy and Cust could alternate at PTB, we would get Tommys defence then as well as Custs passing game.
It’s just an idea
Tricky Dicky1

Re: Cust at hooker

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Cust to 9 was a game changer tonight. He was outstanding.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Problem is, Powell will always start at 9 when fully fit (whether we approve or not). We also need O'Neill to feature as much as possible in order to develop.

If Leuluai is finished now, we can't solely rely on Smith as our game manager (although he has developed well), if we did keep Cust at 9, we'd have to bring another half in as I think Smith, at a young age, would burn out like last year.

No doubt though, Cust did look very creative and quick with ball in hand at 9.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:26 pm Problem is, Powell will always start at 9 when fully fit (whether we approve or not). We also need O'Neill to feature as much as possible in order to develop.

If Leuluai is finished now, we can't solely rely on Smith as our game manager (although he has developed well), if we did keep Cust at 9, we'd have to bring another half in as I think Smith, at a young age, would burn out like last year.

No doubt though, Cust did look very creative and quick with ball in hand at 9.
I agree with everything you say Cust really Impressive tonight but Smith has come on so much with Cust as his partner it'd be a shame if he went backwards now.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

All good, though, really, it's another great option to have, and, combined with the other changes, worked a treat tonight.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Cust is a natural hooker, far more effective than a halfback.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:53 am Cust is a natural hooker, far more effective than a halfback.
Based on last nights cameo alone, I fully agree.

Not slating Cust as a half but he just looked a lot more suited and dangerous at 9.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I have been suggesting this for a while now as we all saw last night we were far more effective with a class hooker I hope that the coaching team put the shorrocks at hooker to bed now
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:22 pm Cust to 9 was a game changer tonight. He was outstanding.
Not sure about Was complete game changer for me game swang completely when Mago came on. With his power Pack dominated and seemed to play as a stronger running unit imo.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Cust was regularly playing nine at Manly, it seemed strange when we signed him as a first choice six when he is a natural hooker