Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Tonight’s game

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:12 am Darryl Powell
I think it was a pretty close game and we’ve done some good things.
Was he watching the same game as me/us? 🤔

I don’t think a score line of 32 - 6 is close!
First half was very close, they were probably the better team and missed some great opportunities.

I do think the score line was a bit flattering but it shows how much attacking ability we have and how quickly we can turn it on.

Not something we should rely on but good to know!
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:10 am Warrington Wolves: Daryl Powell rues missed opportunities in 'good contest' with Wigan Warriors

Warrington Wolves head coach Daryl Powell says the scoreline against Wigan Warriors does not truly reflect the kind of game it was.

His side were defeated 32-6 at the DW Stadium on Friday night, with Liam Marshall scoring a hat-trick for the home team.

Powell states Warrington need to start making the most of their opportunities.

He said: “If you look at the first half we could’ve easily been 18-4 up. We dropped the ball on the kick, George is straight through and probably scores himself if he runs, and then Matty Ashton tries to pick that ball up when he could put it on his foot.

‘ We aren’t taking our chances, and we had another few in the second half.
The pivotal moments are going against us but there was nothing in that game. You look at the scoreline and it’s not that kind of game.

That’s not a lack of effort game and I’ll fight anyone that say it is.

"I’m looking at boys who have worked so hard, and they’ve got a couple of players who have done some things to us there that blows the score out.

I think it was a pretty close game and we’ve done some good things.

"We created six, and they probably created six, but took them. They scored off three fair kicks, it was outstanding out to our right edge.

"There’s then a couple of tries off offloads where we should’ve locked the ball up, and then Field does at the end when he scores the solo try.

"In terms of teams going after each other I thought it was a really good contest. Wigan have a bit of class about them and are playing with confidence and we aren’t, but in lots of ways we were really good.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... rs-3796011
Perhaps it's this delusional thinking and the looking for positives in a second half battering that leaves Dire in the situation they are in?
Perhaps Powell's best fit was at Cas as the expectations down the road will be much greater given the bankrolling they've done.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the England men have won the World Cup since they where last top of the pile?🤣
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think had a point in that wire where far better than the game at their place,where the score flattered them that night,they were crap that night simple as that but last night for parts of the game and indeed the first half they competed well.

I’ve said before what Powell is doing is correct they needed a root and branch rebuild,all,too often the cry is “they don’t use kids” well he’s started to,they will struggle at times they need leader a wire have 1 in Ratchford…they miss Hill and ok it’s clear Cooper and Powell didn’t get in,you know the club who,signed Cooper seem to have got a good player there..I wonder where he went :lol:

Far to,often it seems to me wire invest in mediocrity or bloody stupid signings such as Inglis (baffling that one) so this rebuild was always going to be needed sooner rather than later but the question is wether Powell is the man for the job..I’m not sure.

Again I’ve said it on here the longer Powell is there though the more chance he will move Williams on,to me he’s not a Powell type player but we shall see.
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

I don't remember Powell ever giving credit to Wigan even when he was at Cas. He is one bitter man!!!

So pleased we had a great win and a fantastic way to celebrate the 150th anniversary. Everyone was included and what they are doing at Wigan makes it feel like one big family. Just need to think of something for us ex Pat's and they've cracked it!!! 😁😁
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

The way I saw the game was more about Warrington. They had no fire power up the middle Their backs played well and should have scored more, luck wasn't on their side. It could be argued they were better than our backs?
Our forwards were given lots and lots of room to get a head of steam up but didn't completely domineer.
As always French and Fields both attack and defence were the difference yet again.
Without them again the score would have been different

Cade Cust looked just ok in attack, boy hes slow!

Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

To be honest I couldn't give a stuff about Warrington but it is a shame to see really good players like Ratchford and Daryl Clark looking so dejected as the match went on. As for Connor Wrench? Could you see Marshall getting those three tries if Josh Charnley had still been there? If Powell doesn't start next season well, then he'll be on his bike, I imagine. (Takes out smallest violin imaginable and applies onion to eyes.)
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Powell rues missed chances?…… ok williams to thewlis was forward anyway……ashtons intercept was a try all day IF he was faster than field( like most wire fans reckon)……. Ih and dont forget the currie try that most definitely wasnt……. That makes wire a big ZERO in my book….. missed chances my arse
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 pm Powell rues missed chances?…… ok williams to thewlis was forward anyway……ashtons intercept was a try all day IF he was faster than field( like most wire fans reckon)……. Ih and dont forget the currie try that most definitely wasnt……. That makes wire a big ZERO in my book….. missed chances my arse
Who was the wire Uber speedster that Field chased down at seemingly half speed?

Now Field is fast others just look fast.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:07 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:02 pm Powell rues missed chances?…… ok williams to thewlis was forward anyway……ashtons intercept was a try all day IF he was faster than field( like most wire fans reckon)……. Ih and dont forget the currie try that most definitely wasnt……. That makes wire a big ZERO in my book….. missed chances my arse
Who was the wire Uber speedster that Field chased down at seemingly half speed?

Now Field is fast others just look fast.
I think the proof was in the pudding fozzie
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I thought Warrington were the better side for much of the first half. I said to my stand neighbour after 20 minutes or so, they are getting the ball to their speed men in space better than we are. But, all part of Peet's Master Plan... Shorrocks didn't have his best game, to say the least, (although as I recall he had good involvement in the long handling move that led to Halsall's try) but it's not hard to see why Peet played him there. but the switcheroo of Cust to 9, French to 1, Mago on, worked a treat. And as for French, how good was he? How he pulled in that ball and got the pass away (properly backwards, too) to Marshall was remarkable. And another hat-trick for Marshy; there aren't too many better finishers than him in SL.