Warringtons try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Warringtons try

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:26 pm
Big stick wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:52 am To be fair to the lad it goes up as a try it’s hard to overturn. Downward pressure to me is hand on top of the ball and Currie didn’t look to have it. Video ref should have the final decision not refs
That's the problem. The Video refs seem scared to overturn the on-field decision even it's obviously wrong.

It should not go up as anything other than a query, try or not?
Exactly This!!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And sorry, just watching the game back & no way is it a try 😵‍💫
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
pedro

Post by pedro »

Never a try, don’t like the on field decision
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pedro wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:34 pm Never a try, don’t like the on field decision
Me neither should just be as DaveO says.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Well again, the other option is we adopt essentially the same system as in rugby union; either "Any reason I can't award the try" (the on-field ref reckons try), or "Try, yes or no?" (the ref just doesn't know, and wants the VR to make the decision).
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

moto748 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:20 pm As I've remarked before, we had that once, and fans complained that *everything* got sent upstairs, and why can't the on-field ref make a decision? So they changed it to the current system, and people don't like that either. There's no pleasing folk! The current set-up is (more or less) what they do in the NRL too, and I think it's the best system. But any system is only as good as the officials operating it.And the standard of camera-work available to make a decision.

As for the Warrington try, I said at the time, it's no try really, but it will be given, because "not enough to overturn". And so it was. And I still think making the on-field ref the primary arbiter is the right way. If it had gone up as no try, I think the VR would have been happy with that.
Then why bother with a video ref at all if they rubber stamp whatever the ref rules 99 times out of 100? I'd be quite happy if they were done away with provided we moved back to a situation where a player getting the nail of his little finger brushing on the ball didn't mean it was a try.

I don't think when people complained about everything going to the video ref they expected this to be the result or that they would not expect tries like this one to be adjudicated on. The video ref should rule on these off his own bat. If he can't see a try because the ref didn't give it (as he didn't because he sent it upstairs) it should be no-try.

I am not sure the way it's done now has changed the frequency of video ref decisions anyway but ironically it's made things worse because as we have seen in recent weeks with the "try through the legs" and now this the system is not preventing "no trys" from being given.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Like me and another poster stated ….. the ball spins before its grounded…… it was lost….. not once but twice…..100% no try and a very very poor decision….. even currie knew it wasnt a try with the look on his face
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Firestarter wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:38 pm Like me and another poster stated ….. the ball spins before its grounded…… it was lost….. not once but twice…..100% no try and a very very poor decision….. even currie knew it wasnt a try with the look on his face
I thought the same last night, also how can you have downward pressure with both hands underneath the ball
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Review them all or none at all. I must admit, going off the South Stand’s reaction I thought it was a try even though the replays on the big screen did cast some doubt.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Once again this should have gone up as a no try because he must not of been sure so why did he send it up a try and why did Moore give it when he clearly knocked on I think mr Moore needs a long rest from super league