Warringtons try

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Warringtons try

Post by nathan_rugby »

I didn’t really have an issue with that try tbh.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:26 pm Review them all or none at all. I must admit, going off the South Stand’s reaction I thought it was a try even though the replays on the big screen did cast some doubt.
Your right cast some doubt. But no replay showed it was not a try. It must just be me but watched it many times and I can't say hand on heart it was not a try.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'd say it was a try. He still had his hand on the ball when (his hand) hit the ground. My only doubt is if he actually put any downward pressure on the ball from that position, not enough to overturn the refs opinion. If it had gone up as no try, then it stays as no try. Its clearly a refs judgement call whether its the VR making the judgement, or the on field ref. Half the people are going to disagree.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Nathan you must be the only person who did not have a problem with the try being awarded hindsight is a wonderful tool
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:09 pm Nathan you must be the only person who did not have a problem with the try being awarded hindsight is a wonderful tool
No, a few others thought it was a try even if dubious 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
TrueBlueWarrior

Post by TrueBlueWarrior »

Ask yourself this….how can you apply downward pressure (which is the fundamental thing that EVERY try needs in order to be a try) when you have lost control of the ball and the only part of your hand touching the ball is actually UNDER the ball SLIGHTLY when it hits the ground!

Never a try!
'If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them.' - Wayne Bennett
cherry toffee

Post by cherry toffee »

Must agree with TBW I believe there should be control and downward pressure to be a try but unfortunately any contact with the ball is deemed sufficient in todays game
PJC

Post by PJC »

I am under the impression that the ball must be placed down with clear vertical pressure. At its simplest hands placing the ball firmly downward with full control over the ball.
We seem to be In between Stevo’s (SKY) a finger nail counts and the above.
endoman

Post by endoman »

this is the definition of grounding. No mention of control.

Grounding the Ball a) Placing the ball on the ground with hand or hands, or b) Exerting downward pressure on the ball with hand or arm, the ball itself being on the ground, or c) Dropping on the ball and covering it with part of the body above the waist and below the neck, the ball itself being on the ground.

https://www.rugby-league.com/governance ... the%20ball.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:25 pm
Suzieb wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:09 pm Nathan you must be the only person who did not have a problem with the try being awarded hindsight is a wonderful tool
No, a few others thought it was a try even if dubious 😊
Benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker, so try for me.