Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
wgwr1999

Re: Bevan French - STAYING

Post by wgwr1999 »

endoman wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:36 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:52 am Ive just been told as far as Wigan are aware there is interest from the NRL & 3 clubs have spoken to his agent but no offers as of yet. This of course is from Wigans perspective, they may not know everything his agent has been up to. Wigan have also increased the already agreed offer, it is now borderline Marquee worthy…. My guy is insistent its to reflect his form and not to counter any NRL offers…. Must admit that doesnt make sense to me, my opinion is there has been an NRL offer and we have matched it.
If French isn't worth Marquee money then I simply don't understand the purpose of it!
The purpose of the marquee is to get as much money off the cap as possible & the best way to do that is to pay home grown players as they only count for £75,000 as opposed to £150,000 for regular players.

Wigan could hypothetically pay French & Field £1 below the marquee in order to clear the maximum cap.
Last edited by wgwr1999 on Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:13 pm Its Field
It's not Field. It WAS George Burgess as far as I'm aware & we haven't replaced anyone on that since.

According to rumours, Luke Thompson is set to become the second marquee in 2023.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Has anybody got any idea where and how these Thompson rumours began? And if it's legit? We have about 5 front rowers. If french goes we need to be looking at our back line, were missing a winger and 2 centres and possibly a half back. I'd be made up if Thompson signs but I do think we need to look at the backs first.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

No, sorry, it’s not Field. It’s as someone else said, it was George Burgess, then Bateman 🤨

We have one marquee left, but I wouldn’t give it to Thompson either!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:27 pm
No, sorry, it’s not Field. It’s as someone else said, it was George Burgess, then Bateman 🤨

Why not?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:43 pm

Why not?
Forwards don’t get me off my seat when we’ve got the likes of Jai, Marshy & Bevan! They’re players that excite fans in my opinion 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:50 pm

Why not?
Forwards don’t get me off my seat when we’ve got the likes of Jai, Marshy & Bevan! They’re players that excite fans in my opinion 😊
Fair enough
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Why not?
those backs simply can’t perform without the pack laying a good platform for them. As seen last year when we was stuck inside our own half for the majority of games which I why smith looked so poor. Thompson would be the best prop itl
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

Why not?
Forwards do get trophies in the cabinet though. That's exactly how Saints have dominated with their pack led by Walmsley & Thompson over the years.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

wgwr1999 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:53 pm
Why not?
Forwards do get trophies in the cabinet though. That's exactly how Saints have dominated with their pack led by Walmsley & Thompson over the years.
Agree, the backs put the icing on it but the forwards make the cake :)

What is a bit of a headache for the coaches is that we are well off if the front row in particular and have several really good prospects in 2/3 years. I'd guess some decent players will not get contract renewals if we get Thompson. We are less well off in the backs if (worst case scenario) we lose Bevan, Bibby, KPP, Thornley (through injury).