Bevan French - STAYING or GOING (merged)

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
MrAlex

Re: Bevin French gone to Newcastle Knights

Post by MrAlex »

He's not even French :D :lol:
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

It seems there is still some hope in retaining French according to The Mole in Australia

“There's been plenty of talk linking former Eels tryscoring sensation Bevan French to Newcastle next season, but Wigan won't let the speedy utility go without a fight.
French wants to return to Australia after four years in England where he has proved himself a fan favourite.
Last month, he set a new Super League record by scoring seven tries during a 60-0 win over Hull FC.
Wigan will throw more money at French than the Knights are prepared to pay, leaving him with the old dilemma - money or happiness.“

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... e1df6211d1
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

MrAlex wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 am He's not even French :D :lol:
Nor Bevin
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Like I said, Wigans latest offer is close to Marquee money
PJC

Post by PJC »

It’s all rumours and what I am going to say has been said before. Wigan are on the cusp of being a team that gives the excitement of the one from the late 80s/90s. Not just a cup winning team. We’ve waited a long time for this.
It’s disappointing that we seem likely to lose key personnel over the next 12 months and we’ll not have the pleasure of seeing them develop.
It’s not new. Wigan have always lost players to Australia…..Bolton, Ashurst, more lately Tompkins and others.
It’s just that today the market is a lot more active
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

There are only four people who know the offer made to French from Wigan and they rightly keep it guarded knowledge at this time. If the offer is accepted then it will be registered. Until then no one can say what he has been offered in any way shape or form.

Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:40 am There are only four people who know the offer made to French from Wigan and they rightly keep it guarded knowledge at this time. If the offer is accepted then it will be registered. Until then no one can say what he has been offered in any way shape or form.
I know its a lot of money and more than a 1 year deal…. Id say more than 4 people know exactly what it is as well. It will be closer to 10 people who know every detail.
CobraCraig

Re: Bevan French - STAYING

Post by CobraCraig »

With regards to the marquee I was always under the impression that your 2 highest earners (or two that would get the most cap dispensation) are your marquee signings? So if French becomes one of our top 2 earners the 3rd highest would drop down and become non marquee and thus their full wage count on the cap, £150k in this case as I don’t think any of our top earners have come through our academy (maybe Farrell is close?).
So if French isn’t marquee currently it isn’t as simple as he would only count £150k on the cap if we offer marquee, technically he would but then the player dropping out of the marquee spot would count in full on the cap so we would need space to take that hit.
God2

Post by God2 »

We need to keep him even if it means offloading a number of players to do so. I could think of at least 6 players in my opinion we could offload to ease the cap space, some will be unpopular choices for some so I’m keeping that to myself.

If we can offer Williams the biggest pay day the club has ever seen, then why not French? If they don’t then I don’t know what to say. He could have a shocker and still be better than most on the day.

Money can turn the heads of the most adament person with his or her heart set on something. He’s been thru the worst adversity anyone could ever have gone thru regarding his family, but in the long term the money offered could set not just him up but his whole family up for life.
wgwr1999

Post by wgwr1999 »

StanleyJean1 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:57 am It seems there is still some hope in retaining French according to The Mole in Australia

“There's been plenty of talk linking former Eels tryscoring sensation Bevan French to Newcastle next season, but Wigan won't let the speedy utility go without a fight.
French wants to return to Australia after four years in England where he has proved himself a fan favourite.
Last month, he set a new Super League record by scoring seven tries during a 60-0 win over Hull FC.
Wigan will throw more money at French than the Knights are prepared to pay, leaving him with the old dilemma - money or happiness.“

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-n ... e1df6211d1
"Money or happiness" is hilariously ironic when they labelled Williams & Bateman every name under the sun for being homesick.