Former Wigan Warriors man Brett Finch pleads guilty to sharing child abuse material

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Former Wigan Warriors man Brett Finch pleads guilty to sharing child abuse material

Post by josie andrews »

Ex-Wigan Warriors half-back Brett Finch faces jail in Australia after pleading guilty to sharing child abuse material via a sex hotline.

The 40-year-old admitted one count of using a carriage service to make available child abuse material.

Six other charges of using a carriage service to transmit, publish or promote child abuse were withdrawn.

Finch told a Sydney court he’d only used the online platform on a couple of occasions, and was on drugs at the time.

“It is explainable to the position he was in at that stage, as opposed to the position he’s in now receiving ongoing treatment for his mental health,” said his lawyer, Paul McGirr.

"There'll be subjective material obtained in relation to my client's mental health and possible substance abuse problems.

"We just ask that everyone remember there are mental health issues in play, and we have to respect that at this stage."

McGirr also told Daily Mail Australia his client had been 'swept up' in a wider police investigation, which led to seven other men aged between 34 and 71 being arrested in raids.

"Brett Finch wasn't the focal point of the investigation and in that particular respect his offending was isolated," McGirr said.

"He doesn't know any of the co-accused and didn’t offend for the almost 12 months before he was arrested."

Finch, who represented New South Wales three times, played for Wigan between 2011-12, scoring 18 tries in 60 appearances.

He also played for Canberra, Sydney, Parramatta and Melbourne.

Finch remains on bail ahead of his next appearance at the District Court on September 16.

9News Sydney have reported he faces up to 15 years in prison.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... al-3807767
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Former Wigan Warriors man Brett Finch pleads guilty to sharing child abuse material

Post by josie andrews »

Why is the NRL Clubs he played not reported, why does it always have to be Wigan?

And I’m sick to death of people using the mental health reason for their misdeeds!

You are taught right & wrong from an early age & as you grow you learn of other things that are right or wrong!!
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Richymac

Re: Former Wigan Warriors man Brett Finch pleads guilty to sharing child abuse material

Post by Richymac »

This has really troubled me. Abhorrent behaviour from Finch, he obviously needs serious help but the excuse he gave of drug abuse and mental health problems is lame.

Blaming mental health issues for acts like this takes away from people who battle with anxiety and depression every day (like me).

We should be seeking to remove all trace of him playing for us. Take away his heritage number.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Richymac wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 pm This has really troubled me. Abhorrent behaviour from Finch, he obviously needs serious help but the excuse he gave of drug abuse and mental health problems is lame.

Blaming mental health issues for acts like this takes away from people who battle with anxiety and depression every day (like me).

We should be seeking to remove all trace of him playing for us. Take away his heritage number.
Can't argue with your sentiments or proposal.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:50 pm
Richymac wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:41 pm This has really troubled me. Abhorrent behaviour from Finch, he obviously needs serious help but the excuse he gave of drug abuse and mental health problems is lame.

Can't argue with your sentiments or proposal.
I agree completely!
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pm Why is the NRL Clubs he played not reported, why does it always have to be Wigan?
Because this is in the WEP? In the Aussie press his NRL teams would be all over the story.

He should have his number stripped. Disgusting.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm
josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pm Why is the NRL Clubs he played not reported, why does it always have to be Wigan?
Because this is in the WEP? In the Aussie press his NRL teams would be all over the story.

He should have his number stripped. Disgusting.
I’ll ask Rads tomorrow privately what he thinks.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Yep strip his heritage number and get rid of any references of him at the club

Disgusting- there’s something broken in someone who can go down this path

Using mental health is just a low blow to true sufferers
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:13 pm Yep strip his heritage number and get rid of any references of him at the club

Disgusting- there’s something broken in someone who can go down this path

Using mental health is just a low blow to true sufferers
It is a very low.blow using the mental health card when talking about such vile acts it tars genuine people with a brush that's not even close to being true but fling enough crap it sticks.

As for stripping his number I can see an argument for it definitely but like it or he played for our great club for me rather than give the pervert any more publicity just forget about him.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Surely Brett Dallas has a case for mental health impacting his judgement and decision making in previous months?

Brett Finch, mental health and justifying child sexual offences......utter shite!