Bateman

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bateman

Post by Charriots Offiah »

pedro wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:15 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:23 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:37 pm

We lose a great many very good players to the game because they can’t get game time & the old saying ‘we can’t keep them all’.
We do but not many make it to the top. Many find a level lower than Wigan.
same as saints and leeds
Less so Saints and Leeds. I see no evidence of them being unable to retain the youngsters they want to keep. We are not just losing our best young players to Australia (which to some extent I can understand given the salaries on offer) but we are now losing out to SL clubs. That should set the alarm bells ringing.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Smacks to me of Batemans agent trying to get more cash from Wigan.

Its simple. He has a marquee deal and signed a contract.

Honour your deal sunshine.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Could have also been a tactic to put pressure on Isaiah Papalii to commit to joining - he’d started to show signs he may want to backtrack on his original deal with Wests for 2023.

By them suddenly mentioning Bateman’s name, it could have given IP a realisation that they may withdraw lucrative contract. Papalii has now confirmed he’s making the move.

Tim Sheens classic I imagine
irl_warr

Post by irl_warr »

Was told by a friend that their Mum is currently marketing Johns house for sale in Bolton...I suspect it may well be true he is looking to head back to Australia.
Last edited by irl_warr on Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm Was told by a friend that they are currently marketing Johns house for sale in Bolton...I suspect it may well be true he is looking to head back to Australia.
Hope so
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I’d keep Bateman if he wasn’t a marquee signing.
He just hasn’t earned it and we could use it better
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Would anyone actually keep him for half of what he’s on ? Watching him closely on Friday I think it took him 25 minutes to take his first drive in. Not the same player not worth the money. Cost us at magic with that offload. Win that game and we could have won the league. Easily replaceable imo
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

He’s had a good season IMO but if he’s had a season worth the type of money he’s on I’m not too sure. The issue we have in replacing him is two natural replacements in Nicholson and McDonnell have walked through the door and KPP is likely to follow within the next year. If the club had any sort of inkling he might want out at the end of 2022, it’s a shambles that we’re in that position.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And everyone kept asking me what had against Bateman every time I said he wasn’t worth Marquee money!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
homer s

Post by homer s »

irl_warr wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:15 pm Was told by a friend that their Mum is currently marketing Johns house for sale in Bolton...I suspect it may well be true he is looking to head back to Australia.
if you've got 500 grand you can buy Batemans house, thats the asking price.