Rugby League's play-acting problem the RFL want to ignore

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Rugby League's play-acting problem the RFL want to ignore

Post by josie andrews »

Despite an admission that it's an increasing issue in the game, the governing body don't want to take any responsibility for it.

The RFL is aware that rugby league has a problem with play-acting - but they don't want to do anything about it.

In March, Super League match official and the RFL's head of operations Robert Hicks addressed coaches in a virtual meeting where simulation was raised. Hicks' message to coaches was clear; sort it out yourselves so we don't have to.

Hicks told the coaches to educate their players, call them out and stamp it out. If they didn't, the RFL would step in.

Five months later and to the surprise of nobody, nothing has changed. Play-acting remains rife and players are still feigning injury in an attempt to win penalties and get opponents sanctioned.

And yet, with no resolution in sight, the RFL still don't want to deal with it. On the latest episode of the RFL's disciplinary show Sin Bin, Hicks' message remained the same.

"My advice to the players and coaches would be you need to call out the players in your own clubs and you need to stop doing that," he said. "Because actually you're not helping the look of the sport and it's about time the players if they're injured stay down and get the treatment they need and stop trying to milk extra penalties and extra sanctions against opposition players. It's not a good look for the sport and it needs to stop."

The RFL's stance is weak and deflects responsibility from themselves to do the job they're tasked with doing; govern. The coaches and players are employed to win matches. If that means resorting to dark arts to gain an advantage it would be foolish bordering on fantastical to think they'll stop doing it while the rule-makers are scared to take action.

Coaches and players are always looking for ways around rules. The governors are meant to enforce rules to counteract it. Currently, the RFL want those tasked with getting results to stop doing their job while doing that of the governing bodies at the same time.

The shirking of responsibility is somewhat bemusing given their willingness to dish out bans like they're going out of fashion while the severity of the suspensions is rising at the same speed as energy rates. The RFL insist the harsher penalties are to change player behaviour yet the ones who are deceiving the referees continue to go unpunished. Now is probably an apt time to remind the play-acting naysayers that Hicks, a leading match official and senior member of RFL staff, has gone on record to admit it is a problem and a bad image for the game.

Granted, identifying simulation is a minefield. How can a referee identify who is and who isn't injured? At a time when so much scrutiny is on player welfare, there are all sorts of repercussions.

A simple solution could be to follow the route of football. If a player requires medical attention, they must leave the field for a period after they have been checked over. The number of incidents would soon drop.

The RFL must take up their own responsibility and address the issue full on, as is their job as a governing body. It's progress to hear someone within the organisation publicly admit the issue is a bad look for the game.

But turning a blind eye and hoping it goes away is an example of rudderless leadership.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... l-24768292
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Rugby League's play-acting problem the RFL want to ignore

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Must admit, I thought we would have seen more green cards issued this year, which when used correctly should deter teams / players from doing this.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

For obvious faked injuries the perpetrator should be sent off red carded!
However the spciously feind injury is difficult to assess there and then by a ref so caution should be excised for obvious reasons. So I believe it's down to the integrity of the Club to expel this fraudulent gamesmanship from the Game. The medical staff are better placed to eradicate it sUrely?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As JR says, the green card was touted as an at least partial answer to this, yet it seems badly under-utilised. Refs are in a difficult situation if they are being effectively asked to decide whether players are cheating or not.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

archiekeith wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:16 am For obvious faked injuries the perpetrator should be sent off red carded!
However the spciously feind injury is difficult to assess there and then by a ref so caution should be excised for obvious reasons. So I believe it's down to the integrity of the Club to expel this fraudulent gamesmanship from the Game. The medical staff are better placed to eradicate it sUrely?

For feind read feigned. Apologies πŸ€“
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

archiekeith wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:13 am
archiekeith wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:16 am For obvious faked injuries the perpetrator should be sent off red carded!

You could have put fiend πŸ˜‚
culinator

Post by culinator »

I think someone else said something similar but...

Surely the easiest way, if a player is down and play has to stop because of it then said player should leave the field for a minimum time whilst assessed, doesnt stop milking for penalties but its a start
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

culinator wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:25 pm I think someone else said something similar but...

Surely the easiest way, if a player is down and play has to stop because of it then said player should leave the field for a minimum time whilst assessed, doesnt stop milking for penalties but its a start
And during that period the players team plays on with only 12 men
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Charriots Offiah wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:53 pm

πŸ˜€ Nice one CHariots but it would only have compounded my grammatical error I was using the missed spelt word as a verb, a doing. Word thus my emendment had to be a verb ie. FeignedYour suggestion is a (Slang) noun and thus still ungrammatical
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

archiekeith wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:41 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: ↑Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:53 pm

πŸ˜€ Nice one CHariots but it would only have compounded my grammatical error I was using the missed spelt word as a verb, a doing. Word thus my emendment had to be a verb ie. FeignedYour suggestion is a (Slang) noun and thus still ungrammatical
Oh forgot the noun for the emend is emendation not emendment😜

Back. To school. for me πŸ˜‚