Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonh

Re: Wigan sign Toby King for 2023

Post by Jonh »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:27 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:20 pm He must have been cheap. I was told categorically we were not interested in him. Maybe this has come out of the blue and they thought it's only a loan for a year.

Very poor signing but hey ho I'm ready to be proven wrong
[/

Snap, was told the same with a lot of emphasis.
There was plenty of leaks just people didn’t rush to post on forums because they were aware it may compromise the deal.

Very good signing in my opinion. I do though think this sees that Bevan and or KPP will be playing in the NRL in 2023.

Big British centre Wire paying some of his wages.

Got a great offload and probably the best in the league at converting attacking cross field kicks.
StanleyJean1

Post by StanleyJean1 »

Hattster wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:35 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:03 pm
StanleyJean1 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:51 pm

Do remind me of how George Williams is doing again? And Jack Hughes, Charnley before leaving for Leigh etc? They are currently sat 10th in the table with the very real possibility of finishing above only Toulouse come the end of the season.
All the players you named where class when they left wigan. And we didn't want any of them to go. As for Williams if you think he's no good. Then sorry you're deluded. With signings they have made
if
they jell next season you will see a different Williams and wire they will take some beating.
Correct Hattster, it’s all ifs buts and maybes. If we are dealing with facts and facts alone then George Williams has not earned the alleged large contract he’s currently earning, in fact you could argue he’s playing a part in the failed machine that’s currently languishing at the bottom end of Super League

Do remind me, how many Super League rings has Hughes, Charnley, Bullock etc earned since leaving Wigan? Warrington could sign the best players Rugby League has to offer and would still find them scratching their heads with the same problems, until a clear out at the top is made I’m afraid it’ll be the same old same old.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:41 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:26 pm Wigan have played a blinder there, not a single leak.
They have Dan. But do you think it's because it's a bit underwhelming of a centre signing good thing is only loan for a season probably just to give our young centres another season. I thought wardle was nailed on. Looks like wire got best of us again. Whoever's pulling strings there certainly knows what there doing.
They may want him to return when they sack Powell.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I haven't been impressed with King since he was the sky poster child. However i won't judge him off how wire have been this year.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

No straw damn us wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:01 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:26 pm Wigan have played a blinder there, not a single leak.
I did hint on the rumours Leutele thread.
Anymore hints Brian?
Charriots Offiah

CobraCraig wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:27 pm
They have Dan. But do you think it's because it's a bit underwhelming of a centre signing good thing is only loan for a season probably just to give our young centres another season. I thought wardle was nailed on. Looks like wire got best of us again. Whoever's pulling strings there certainly knows what there doing.
It’s widely rumoured that Wardle is a done deal signing for us.
Two left centres?
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I think kings been in bad form but if anyone can get him where he’s capable of going it’s the mighty Wigan warriors. To be fair just looking at Daryl powells sour face would be enough to put any player into bad form! Ha. Bit of a strange one the loan but hoping it’s us edging our bets and if he’s does not reach the levels we want him to we can say off you pop back to side that can fit all their silverware into a shoe box. If he’s does well KR will give him the pen to sign the deal with Wigan and slip him a couple bottles of loch lomonds finest. Done deal, everyone’s happy.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wonder what this means for Halsall and Thornley?

Is King on loan as a stop gap to give Halsall 1 more year to develop? Or are the club not convinced he has what it takes and know this already?

Is Thornley set to retire or be released?

I cannot see us having Wardle, King, Halsall and Thornley in the centres next year unless one of the latter two will be moved to the wing?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 pm

Two left centres?

King is a natural right sided centre.
Charriots Offiah

Jonh wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:30 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:49 pm

Two left centres?

King is a natural right sided centre.
Ok thanks for that. I am basing my views on where he played for Wire. I am far happier knowing that his preference is to play on the right. That makes the apparent signing of Wardle make sense.