WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIGAN

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior

Re: WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE WIGAN

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I don't think 'signings covered in glory' prove to be a big hit, excluding signing we have made, Salford tried doing it extensively when Dr K was there and Warrington do it every year and neither have lifted the SL grand final trophy!

As others have said, our youth system is incredible. French and Field surely justify our recruitment, even Willie Isa too (if want a less prestigious name).

George Burgess to me was the 'superstar' signing, very sad how it played out. Even Zak (on field ability before he actually played for us), was a risky but good signing (at the time) imo!
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:36 pm
Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:58 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:31 pm What ever you want to call it, I'll say attack a poster on here is a common thing.
We seem to constantly be asking to stop doing this but people continue to do it.

It is ridiculous.

You have posted an opinion. In return my opinion is it is ridiculous. I am allowed an opinion too. Just because it’s contrary to yours I’m not attacking you.

On the other King thread which clearly instigated this thread you posted something similar talking about these wonderful signings of years gone by, all the players you mentioned came from other clubs and went on to improve at Wigan.

Also the players you mentioned all came from a totally different era where there was no cap. In that regard it’s like comparing apples and cricket bats.

We currently have the 2 most exciting players in the comp in our team and you don’t seem to be happy!!

Like I said, I find that to be ridiculous.
What a ridiculous post.

Playing in a salary capped sport, including players like French and Field and you post this nonsense.

If you took the time out you would find that I have championed both Field and more so French.

So I must point out you are wrong. Not just me but other people also thought your comments were attacking. May I suggest you consider what and how you post replies.

Everyone has their own opinions please respect them
Imagine coming on a forum and just agreeing with everyone or not responding to one’s you didn’t agree with.

That would be interesting and make for a great read!

On the other thread that instigated this you talk about Bell, Gregory, Lydon, Hanley and Offiah. Fantastic players. All these players were signed from other clubs some for big transfer fees. This was an era where the game was played under different rules.

Ie the Salary Cap. Also the game didn’t have to compete with the NRL as the games were played in the main part at different times of the year. The move to summer meant the seasons clashed.

Can you imagine the cap space it would take to have those lads in the squad?!

It wouldn’t be plausible as we would struggle to get more than a squad of 20.

The tone of your post is one of discontent, dissatisfaction at the signing of King in an attempt to lament the club, yet we currently have a team containing some of the most exciting and entertaining players to wear the Cherry and White jersey including from the glory days.

We sign Cooper mid season, International Prop and a centre who is English Knights player and it creates a post aimed at criticising the club. A club that is moving in a really positive direction has won the only trophy of any club available so far and looks to be prepping for a real dig at the SL title.

I think you need to get in the real world and understand that things have moved on since the days the players you mentioned took the field.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

It’s all well and good to make star signings but you have to have a good mix of young upcoming talent and experienced players as well.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:01 pm
Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:58 pm

It is ridiculous.

You have posted an opinion. In return my opinion is it is ridiculous. I am allowed an opinion too. Just because it’s contrary to yours I’m not attacking you.

On the other King thread which clearly instigated this thread you posted something similar talking about these wonderful signings of years gone by, all the players you mentioned came from other clubs and went on to improve at Wigan.

Also the players you mentioned all came from a totally different era where there was no cap. In that regard it’s like comparing apples and cricket bats.

We currently have the 2 most exciting players in the comp in our team and you don’t seem to be happy!!

Like I said, I find that to be ridiculous.
What a ridiculous post.

Playing in a salary capped sport, including players like French and Field and you post this nonsense.

If you took the time out you would find that I have championed both Field and more so French.

So I must point out you are wrong. Not just me but other people also thought your comments were attacking. May I suggest you consider what and how you post replies.

Imagine coming on a forum and just agreeing with everyone or not responding to one’s you didn’t agree with.

On the other thread that instigated this you talk about Bell, Gregory, Lydon, Hanley and Offiah. Fantastic players. All these players were signed from other clubs some for big transfer fees. This was an era where the game was played under different rules.

Ie the Salary Cap. Also the game didn’t have to compete with the NRL as the games were played in the main part at different times of the year. The move to summer meant the seasons clashed.

The tone of your post is one of discontent, dissatisfaction at the signing of King in an attempt to lament the club, yet we currently have a team containing some of the most exciting and entertaining players to wear the Cherry and White jersey including from the glory days.

We sign Cooper mid season, International Prop and a centre who is English Knights player and it creates a post aimed at criticising the club. A club that is moving in a really positive direction has won the only trophy of any club available so far and looks to be prepping for a real dig at the SL title.

I think you need to get in the real world and understand that things have moved on since the days the players you mentioned took the field.
Now wasn't that a slightly more balanced response, your getting there well done.

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:07 am I remember Wigan being Wigan.
When we signed most of our players they were someone, someone who were performing well, someone who exited the public into wanting to get down there and see them perform.
I know things have changed but when was the last major signing we made?

Why do I feel we try to make do and mend?
We are supposed to be WIGAN!
What a negative view. IMO we have a great team right now, so some of our recruitment must be OK!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Richymac

Post by Richymac »

I don’t really understand this whole thing.

No team has a right to be consistently the best and biggest team, such is sport, it’s cyclical. Saints will find that out eventually when their run ends (hopefully to us this season).

As for signing ‘someone’s’ Hastings was MoS before we signed him right? Burgess came from Souths highly regarded over there. There’s a salary cap meaning you have to spend smart, which is why French and Field have been able to play together and be superb this year.

More to the point, signing big names doesn’t guarantee success (Warrington being a great example). We have had a bad few seasons post-Wane in my view, but we are building a coherent team plan and have won a CC and up for a good play-off run, hopefully a GF. Signing players with a point to prove can help (both King and Wardle) have a point to prove next season.
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Surely no one can deny it would be great to have a couple of top players from Oz signed
I bet most of us would be eager to get to the match to see that and I think the club could pull this off if they managed the finances a little better.

So where is the negativity in that.
When all said and done it is the entertainment business Wigan are in.

w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I’m known for my negativity but I actually think we have recruited well recently. Cooper and king are good signings along with hopefully wardle. Looks like for a change we are seeing what positions we are weak in and sorting it out. There will always be in my opinion the odd signing that I can’t understand (see thornley)
Jonh

Post by Jonh »

Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:07 pm

What a ridiculous post.

Now wasn't that a slightly more balanced response, your getting there well done.
Pretty much exactly what i wrote first time, but fair play.

Still gutted we haven’t signed Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic for next year and I won’t be happy till we do…after all we are Wigan!!
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

Jonh wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:07 pm
Wigan Watcher wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:07 pm

Pretty much exactly what i wrote first time, but fair play.

Still gutted we haven’t signed Mitchell and Tom Trbojevic for next year and I won’t be happy till we do…after all we are Wigan!!
Now come on be careful, you may be accused of being negative and that will never do... will it!