Wigan v St Helens

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Wigan v St Helens

Post by Southern Softy »

I think the point about Welsby is that if you're going to exhibit that kind of attitude on the pitch that he does then you shouldn't be surprised if teams and supporters don 't like it. Bit like Jake Connor. Full of talent but fun when it goes wrong.
Also, Welsby is reckless in a lot of his challenges which doesn't help.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Big Steve wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:31 am Cust a far better team player than Hastings. Doesn't hog the ball and doesn't run down a blind alley and get caught in possession on the 4th and 5th tackle.

I honestly think Smith was not only hindered by playing behind a crap pack, but having to play alongside Hastings last year.
Also Jai Field seems so much happier without Hastings being here. I felt, having been in their company on one occasion, that Hastings is an overbearing bully, who needs & wants to be the centre of attention & everything else as well!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:58 am
ian.birchall wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:12 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:44 am I paused the game when I made the last post; I've re-watched it all now. I do think Marshall had a very good game, I think he negated a couple of errors with some very good efforts in attack and defence. Another thing that struck me was that Shorrocks, who has come in for a bit of criticism lately, when asked to do a more Lam-era tackling stint, did so admirably, in what looked like another piece of smart coaching to me.
Cade Cust also receives undeserved criticism a lot of the time on here but just watch his brilliant pass which set Liam Marshall free to score that brilliant try which took the wind out of Stains attempts to get back in the game.
I know he doesn’t get the credit he deserves, abit like green in his first season here.
Think Cust went through a quiet spell because he was still recovering from his injury
I’ve likened Cade to Blake Green since his first few games 😊 Brilliant player & an all round good guy 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:02 am
moto748 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:31 am Also, I can't believe the commentary didn't mention Welsby trampling over French when scored his first try, clearly deliberately.
I think it was bachelor not welsby
I thought it was Batchelor!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Yeah, it was. Even I can be wrong occasionally! :lol:

But, as I said, avoidable and clearly deliberate in my view.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

I think Cade is brilliant definitely a keeper ...heart and sole goes into every match he plays
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:04 pm
Big Steve wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:31 am Cust a far better team player than Hastings. Doesn't hog the ball and doesn't run down a blind alley and get caught in possession on the 4th and 5th tackle.

I honestly think Smith was not only hindered by playing behind a crap pack, but having to play alongside Hastings last year.
Also Jai Field seems so much happier without Hastings being here. I felt, having been in their company on one occasion, that Hastings is an overbearing bully, who needs & wants to be the centre of attention & everything else as well!
The club as a whole seems a much happier place since Hastings went off back home,I'm not surprised at your impression of him to be honest.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Just watched the game again and definitely the best defensive performance of the season by far. I hate to kind agree with Wilkin but it could of been different if saints had more of their first teamers in, more chance of them to punish us.
Still brilliant victory we just need to compete more through the middle with saints, which saints are brilliant at dominating
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:14 pm Just watched the game again and definitely the best defensive performance of the season by far. I hate to kind agree with Wilkin but it could of been different if saints had more of their first teamers in, more chance of them to punish us.
Still brilliant victory we just need to compete more through the middle with saints, which saints are brilliant at dominating
But saints had all their middles on the pitch or on the bench for this game!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:49 pm
Barney841 wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:14 pm Just watched the game again and definitely the best defensive performance of the season by far. I hate to kind agree with Wilkin but it could of been different if saints had more of their first teamers in, more chance of them to punish us.
But saints had all their middles on the pitch or on the bench for this game!
Yeah I know that and we tackled well but there were still better through the middle.
And when your forwards make the platform for that it drags players in and they have that bit more room on the sides.
That’s when the quality of your backs come into play, which they lacked through their injuries