Matty Peet

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Matty Peet

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I must confess to being in the camp that was scratching my head when he was appointed, but I have been delighted and astonished by how well he has stepped up. He seems to have extraordinary qualities, and I am beginning to wonder whether he could go on to be an absolutely elite level coach. Taking some of his qualities in turn:
- his communication skills are off the scale. When I got back from Tottenham, I watched the game again and then started watching the after match stuff: normally, I ditch it, but I was struck by his interview, in which he showed himself to be measured and humble. He is so impressive a speaker that even non Wigan fans (poor souls) warm to him, which is some feat;
- his bond with the team is clear: after he had finished with the BBC, a model pro immaculately dressed, we saw him go into the changing room. The sound was off, but you could see everyone was hanging on his every word as he addressed them. No fidgeting, no playing up, just completely buying into his words. That level of respect is rare in any leader. When he was finished, he then enthusiastically took part in the singing, while the whole group formed a circle. He’s the boss when he needs to be, and one of the gang when he can be; and
- his style of play is a wonder to behold. I must confess to having been frustrated for a long time that we didn’t play a more traditional big forwards going toe to toe, to free up backs given free rein. This year he has delivered. Last year, in comparison, even the good days were bad. I will support our club for so long as I am on this earth, but sometimes it has been a struggle. Now, I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us. With largely the same players. I would particularly focus on Field - he has unlocked so much potential, and coached him to perfection.
Honestly, we can lose our next game 60 nil, and this year will still be a triumph. And the beauty of it is that what he does he can do again and again for us. We are lucky to have him.
mickali1

Re: Matty Peet

Post by mickali1 »

Brilliant post. Absolutely spot on. 👏
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I was thinking how many other coaches are there who werent professional players?

unless im mistaken Matty never played professionally he must be one of the few who have got to the top job without playing for a team
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

It had cheap option all over it for me.
Glad to be proven wrong!!!
Very clever man Peet, he reads the game really well and comes across well when speaking.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Peet shortlisted for Coach of Year

Matt Peet on the three-man shortlist for Coach of the Year.

Peet alongside St Helens’ Kristian Woolf and Salford’s Paul Rowley.

Winner to be announced at Super League Awards.

Wigan Warriors Head Coach Matt Peet has been shortlisted for the 2022 Betfred Super League Coach of the Year.

Ahead of the start of the Play-Offs this weekend, the three-man shortlist for the Coach of the Year has been announced, with Peet named alongside St Helens’ Kristian Woolf and Salford Red Devils’ Paul Rowley.

Peet made the step up from the backroom team to Head Coach ahead of the 2022 campaign and his debut season at the helm has seen his Warriors team finish the regular season in second place, impressively unbeaten at the DW Stadium, and add another Challenge Cup to the trophy cabinet.

Named Betfred Coach of the Month in February, Peet’s influence on the culture and community focus at the Club has been evident throughout the season with joint training sessions combining all Wigan’s elite teams as well as community and fan engagement being central to match day experiences.

The Coach of the Year will be announced as part of the Betfred Super League Awards which will be held at Headingley Stadium on Monday 19th September. Fans can watch the Awards live on Super League’s YouTube channel from 9pm that night.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/09/ ... h-of-year/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:32 am I must confess to being in the camp that was scratching my head when he was appointed, but I have been delighted and astonished by how well he has stepped up. He seems to have extraordinary qualities, and I am beginning to wonder whether he could go on to be an absolutely elite level coach. Taking some of his qualities in turn:
- his communication skills are off the scale. When I got back from Tottenham, I watched the game again and then started watching the after match stuff: normally, I ditch it, but I was struck by his interview, in which he showed himself to be measured and humble. He is so impressive a speaker that even non Wigan fans (poor souls) warm to him, which is some feat;
- his bond with the team is clear: after he had finished with the BBC, a model pro immaculately dressed, we saw him go into the changing room. The sound was off, but you could see everyone was hanging on his every word as he addressed them. No fidgeting, no playing up, just completely buying into his words. That level of respect is rare in any leader. When he was finished, he then enthusiastically took part in the singing, while the whole group formed a circle. He’s the boss when he needs to be, and one of the gang when he can be; and
- his style of play is a wonder to behold. I must confess to having been frustrated for a long time that we didn’t play a more traditional big forwards going toe to toe, to free up backs given free rein. This year he has delivered. Last year, in comparison, even the good days were bad. I will support our club for so long as I am on this earth, but sometimes it has been a struggle. Now, I can’t wait to see what they have in store for us. With largely the same players. I would particularly focus on Field - he has unlocked so much potential, and coached him to perfection.
Honestly, we can lose our next game 60 nil, and this year will still be a triumph. And the beauty of it is that what he does he can do again and again for us. We are lucky to have him.
Well said!
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

+1 totally agree
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Great piece, well said! Agree 100%
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

(Sorry if I should have called him Matt. In my defence, my brother Matthew is happy being called Matty or Matt.)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:36 pm (Sorry if I should have called him Matt. In my defence, my brother Matthew is happy being called Matty or Matt.)
I’ve known Matt for years & still call him Matty face to face 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan