Tommy

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Tommy

Post by josie andrews »

A statement from Thomas Leuluai

Thomas Leuluai has written the following statement on his announcement that he will retire as a Rugby League professional at the end of the 2022 season and become Warriors Assistant Coach for 2023 and beyond.

I honestly don’t know where to start.

It’s been an incredible journey, back in 2003 when I made my debut for the New Zealand Warriors, I never thought I’d be writing this 20 years later.

When players and teammates around me retired, I often wondered how they knew it was the right time to do so, but I can honestly say I feel so content with my own decision and it’s true what they say, you know when it’s time.

I look back throughout the years and I just feel incredibly grateful for everything that Rugby League has given me. There have been wonderful times on the field, and amazing times off it. I’ve loved them all but without a doubt the best thing Rugby League has given me is the friendships I have made.

There are so many people I need to thank, I really want to thank them personally and will do so over the next couple of weeks but to all the coaches, trainers, physios, doctors and office staff that have helped me along my journey, thank you so much. To all the fans of all the clubs I have been at, thank you.

I have to give special mention to the Wigan fans that have taken me in like one of their own, you are what make this Club such a special team to play for, it has been a privilege to represent your team and your town.

To all my teammates I can’t thank you enough – I’ve loved going to battle alongside you all. I’ve also loved all the great times we have had off the field, there are so many great memories that I will forever cherish.

Last but definitely not least to my family, my Mum, Lenore and my dad, James, thank you for your endless support and guidance, especially my dad who I have looked up to my entire life. To my siblings, Folole, Macgraff, Ruvea, thanks for always having my back through the highs and the lows. I appreciate you guys. To all my aunties, uncles and cousins, there are too many to name, thanks so much for the support, I’ve always tried to represent our family to the best that I can. Special mention to my cousin Kylie, who has always been such a great role model for me throughout my career. Also, to my manager, Peter Brown, who has been with me the entire way. Which leads me to my wife, Natalie, I can’t thank enough for everything you have done. You have made sacrifices along the way that make me forever grateful. You and our three girls, Wynter-Rose, Storm and Romi, mean the world to me and you have given my career such great balance. I can’t wait to see what the next chapter has for us.

Thanks,

Tommy.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/08/ ... s-leuluai/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
MrAlex

Post by MrAlex »

I'm not going to say anything about Tommy's new role, but....

He has been an incredible player for us, a true club man and having met him a few times, he is an absolute gentleman.

We'll miss those thundering hits in the middle of the park and his dummy half back play.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

MrAlex wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:27 pm I'm not going to say anything about Tommy's new role, but....

He has been an incredible player for us, a true club man and having met him a few times, he is an absolute gentleman.

We'll miss those thundering hits in the middle of the park and his dummy half back play.
Not as much as the opposition’s players we won’t 😀
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

DaveO wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:46 pm Definitely time to retire as a player and what a great servant to the club he has been.

Not sure about the coaching role. He can’t possibly bring anything new to the table having been here so long. If players want to go into coaching it would probably be better for them if they did so at another club. Not necessarily easy to do as other clubs may not be interested.

The club itself is going to have to stop giving jobs for the boys sooner or later. They can’t employ every long serving player as a coach.
Agree There seems to be a consensus re TL qua assistant coach. Hope it works out but Breir's appointment surely shows it was the correct way to go.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

There seems to be an implication that (a) Tommy won't make an effective assistant coach and (b) bringing in an assistant from outside guarantees success. Neither of course is true. I think it was Sam Tomkins not that long ago who was quoted as saying that TL would become an outstanding coach and, given that it's been known for some time that this was the next step, I'd be surprised, especially with his lengthy lay-offs, if TL hasn't had some input to the coaching this last two years or so.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/to ... ful-coach/

(Above link will need to be copied and pasted into your browser)

Tommy has played under some very good coaches and will have learned a lot from each of them that he can bring to his new role.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I'm not a fan of the "old boys club" that exists to some degree at Wigan.

However, if there is one player that I think deserves a chance to disprove the above, it is Tommy.

Don't forget he's been involved in the NRL and internationally at the highest level.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

What Thomas Leuluai will bring to Wigan Warriors as a coach following retirement decision

Wigan Warriors coach Matt Peet is looking forward to having Thomas Leuluai on his coaching staff next season.

While Lee Briers is heading to the NRL as ‘transitions coach’ at Brisbane Broncos, the Warriors hooker will retire at the end of this campaign and become an assistant to Peet at the club he has so far served for twelve years in two spells.

The 37-year-old New Zealand international and 2008 World Cup winner, who will be part of the Kiwis’ coaching staff at this year’s tournament, re-joined Wigan in 2017 after playing for them between 2007-12.

Auckland-born Leuluai also had two spells at New Zealand Warriors and first came to the UK in 2005 to play for London Broncos.

He has won a World Club Challenge (2017), two Super League Grand Finals (2010 and 2018) and two Challenge Cups (2011 and this year) with Wigan, who are gearing up for the play-offs and will play their home semi-final on Friday week, September 16.

Leuluai was named club captain following the retirement of Sean O’Loughlin, who is now on the coaching staff.

“There have been wonderful times on the field, and amazing times off it,” he said.

“I’ve loved them all but without doubt, the best thing Rugby League has given me is the friendships I have made.

“I have to give special mention to the Wigan fans who have taken me in like one of their own. They are what make this club so special to play for.”

Peet, who has already pouched the Challenge Cup in his first season since succeeding Adrian Lam, said: “Thomas is an example to any young player on how to play the game with the balance of skill, physicality and respect.

“I owe so much to him for the support and guidance he has given me as a player, captain and friend.

“Thomas has all the attributes to make an outstanding coach. He will bring so much to our coaching team and I am excited to work with him during the next stage of his career.”

https://www.totalrl.com/what-thomas-leu ... -decision/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

In Peet I trust.
(In all matters, save for one.)
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Think we have to give Tommy a chance, how many on here said Matty wouldn’t work and was another job for the boys 😂
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:35 pm In Peet I trust.
(In all matters, save for one.)
What’s that one?